Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is basically how I have 100. Drive like a granny, wasn't using autopilot. Turned slow, accelerated and braked slow...100.

Will be waiting for my Beta in 7 days after I do this over and over....

Seriously...will see what happens after I commute home...not sure how to get a 100 with the insane drivers around here.

Reactions: Microterf
I second the driving on ice method. That's pretty much what I've been doing. The way I think if it, is I just make sure nobody is around me. Give everybody a ton of space and if a car looks like they're going to pull in front of me, I assume they are and slow down. I still have a rating of 100 after 225 miles.

I'm going to lose my *sugar* if I maintain that rating and still don't get FSD beta next Saturday.

I'm going to lose my *sugar* if I maintain that rating and still don't get FSD beta next Saturday.
You statistically won't get it. No way Tesla is rolling this out to 75% of drivers that requested it. They'll have some other internal metrics that they use like every other SW release, and it will go to 1% of people, despite Elon saying "If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted", and we'll get to go through another round of "what Elon meant...."

(My bet on "what Elon meant"- you have been "granted" access to the Beta (that you paid for years ago), he just didn't say when you'll actually get it).

Looks like you don’t get dinged when on AP. Even if you “force” a disengagement.

Was using AP and person left turned in front of me. I instinctively slammed on the brakes. Fully expected to have a bad Hard Braking ding on my score. However it didn’t register at all. Not sure if AP had stated braking yet but it seems to have “known”that it was the correct thing to do.

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

You statistically won't get it. No way Tesla is rolling this out to 75% of drivers that requested it. They'll have some other internal metrics that they use like every other SW release, and it will go to 1% of people, despite Elon saying "If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted", and we'll get to go through another round of "what Elon meant...."

(My bet on "what Elon meant"- you have been "granted" access to the Beta (that you paid for years ago), he just didn't say when you'll actually get it).
Quite possibly. But I will just use that in arbitration as well. I finally got response last Thursday that AAA started the case and Tesla has till Oct 7th to respond.

The having to opt in for your safety metrics just makes it stronger. Because they're saying that they didn't track our driving metrics before, even though they said they were releasing it to "expert and very safe drivers" last October.

If I have a score of 100 out of 100 for safety based on their metrics and they still don't give it to me, it will be more evidence that the are full of *sugar* and just cherry picking who they want to give it to.

• Disagree
Reactions: kbM3

On the flip side it is better for Tesla to have more people testing to better train the software. They can also say they used these metrics to pick safe people and if they have lots of people it is really easy to kick out those that don't use it safely.

Quite possibly. But I will just use that in arbitration as well. I finally got response last Thursday that AAA started the case and Tesla has till Oct 7th to respond.
Awesome. I'd love to hear how arbitration goes- small claims is so backed up in my area that it might be a better path.

Because they're saying that they didn't track our driving metrics before, even though they said they were releasing it to "expert and very safe drivers" last October.
Weird, they claim the algorithm they have now is based on 6 billion miles of data ;)

Why is it hard to believe that if you have a score over "X" you'll get the beta? If that were the case why wouldn't they have a leaderboard ranking people from 1 to however many people hit the button, instead of giving a score...

Acceleration and over speed limits won't hurt you. But you still have to be mindful of both issues as they can put you in a situation where you're more likely to need to hard brake, either to avoid something, or to go around a curve without a lot of lateral g's.

I default to driving efficiently, which is very compatible with the safety scoring. I've had a couple of hard braking penalties, but both of them were justified (neighbor's dog ran in front of my car, and a yellow light). I don't think Tesla is looking for perfection. I suspect there will be plenty of people who score lower than 100 who get in this first round, and lots of people with 100 who don't get in.

Reactions: hellocar
I suspect there will be plenty of people who score lower than 100 who get in this first round, and lots of people with 100 who don't get in.
In other words, Elon saying "If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted" was not accurate- there will be many other factors included, and few people will get it.
Color me completely unsurprised that most people still think his tweets represent any useful commentary on reality.

Reactions: El joe
In other words, Elon saying "If driving behavior is good for 7 days, beta access will be granted" was not accurate- there will be many other factors included, and few people will get it.
Color me completely unsurprised that most people still think his tweets represent any useful commentary on reality.
Yeah, def have to take it with a grain of salt. Also, he never defined "good" in terms of a score, so it makes the tweet even less meaningful.

What I'm curious about is what percentage of people who bought FSD are "in the frenzy" right now. These are the people who knew about the button's imminent release and pushed it as soon as possible, and are now trying to go for their best score. Anecdotally, I know quite a few FSD purchasers who aren't following any of this stuff. So... it could be that most people trying will get in first round. There's just not enough info to know.

Reactions: Microterf
I have to check on FCW settings. Where I live, we have a lot of curved residential streets where people park on the curve. I always get warned because the car thinks I'm going to hit them. I used to just laugh those off, but now (like this morning), they count.
I have a section like that too to get out and come in to my neighborhood. if you go slower, you won't get dinged. For me, it means going about 24mph instead of 30mph. That reduction also eliminates the hard cornering dings too.

Reactions: edseloh
Awesome. I'd love to hear how arbitration goes- small claims is so backed up in my area that it might be a better path.

Weird, they claim the algorithm they have now is based on 6 billion miles of data ;)
Training the system with anonymous driving is one thing. But they are claiming that they need your permission to record your driving style, but previously acted like they used safety as a metric to choose the original testers