Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not alone. I've been dinged at least three times for "Hard braking" after manually disengaging Autopilot and correcting for the unsafe behavior it was exhibiting or the dangerous situation it was about to create (e.g. this morning lazily proceeding towards a yellow light that would have been red by the time I crossed the line).
If you want a good score, don’t use autopilot in the city…it’s discouraged by Tesla, and it’s bound to do dumb things that require you to intervene and mess up your score.

most minor errors can be patched up (though not FCW which I really fear)
Exactly! There is one road near my house that has a small rise and turn which causes an FCW in one direction. So far, I have managed to be on AP when that happens, so I have had no dings, but I'm afraid of that happening when I am not on AP. I just want to get the FSD Beta so I don't have to be paranoid that the car is going to ding me for normal driving.

No one has been granted access based on Safety Score that we know of, will be this Friday/Saturday at the earliest.
I imagine none of the current beta testers had a software upgrade that included the safety score, yet. I imaging that all beta testers will be using the safety score once 10.2 comes out to determine if you can keep the safety score. I have to believe that the score to lose FSD will be around 80 or 85, maybe 90. Too many potential dings for braking or FCW could occur that are NOT safety-related. Even getting one could drop your score to the low 90's.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Judging by the way I'm getting dinged for 'close following' I'm not sure how anyone that lives in a city will get this thing.
Remember, for following, it is all based on time that you are over 50 mph (and off of AP) and within 1 second of the car ahead divided by the time you are less than 3 seconds of the car ahead.

When I am off of AP, I am CONSTANTLY going one-one thousand, two-one-thousand,... from when the car ahead passes some mark. It is like a mantra. I try to stay 2 seconds behind and track that distance. It is amazing how short that distance can be at 50 vs. 80.

Also, be aware that if the only time you are off of AP and over 50 mph happens to be when you are close to a car, you will tend to get dinged higher. If you back off beyond 3 seconds or have no one in front, that does not help to lower that ding. Probably one reason that the close following is not as impactful to your score compared to FCW and hard braking.

If you back off beyond 3 seconds or have no one in front, that does not help to lower that ding
A quick proxy is to look at the Autopilot visualization, and the lead vehicle starts to appear when starting to follow ~3 seconds. So follow a vehicle so they're faded but still visible on the display. But yes overall, close following doesn't have a big impact on the score. The maximum unsafe following 60% still results in a 99 score (98.6) while hard braking requires only 0.7% for the same 98.6.

Has anyone noticed, if we let the car brake itself on full regen without touching the brake pedal, can it ding the braking score? I have a feeling it happened to me once or twice, but not 100% sure. What is the experience with the others? Is it safe to leave the regen at "STANDARD" not to ding the score? Let us know.
It didn’t for me. But unsafe following distance is killing my score specially in busy traffic time. Even I try to keep distance, another call changes lane in front of me lol.

Reactions: bobby g
I created a new worksheet that just calculates how many perfect miles you need to reach a target score.
I appreciate your effort. I'm at 98.938% (rounded to 99%). Only need *918 miles* to get to 99.51%! Obviously, the more days/miles you accumulate, the harder it is to raise the average. I've driven 818 miles since this gong show started. Had one 331 mile day but could only manage 99% for the drive - that doesn't help increase my score. Now the challenge is to keep from going lower as my 99.51% is not reasonably obtainable.

Wish I had clearly understood the rules when this started.

TeslaFi snippet of the leaderboard attached.

Attachments

• TeslaFi Leaderboard.txt
    984 bytes · Views: 50
This is what is showing for the top 50. Note that not only do you need to be on Teslafi, but you need to allow access to your safety score. For some reason, my safety score disappeared from the list. There is one person at 100 with 21 miles.
I think that is a pretty small subset of TeslaFI users because it has to manually be enabled. Mine wasn't until I saw the related post in this thread and then went looking for how I missed this announcement. (found the email)

T5473mU.jpg

Px7y68G.jpg

Reactions: HighZ and Microterf
Who said it was in the city?
Well you mentioned traffic lights. I will on occasion play with traffic light control on AP, with the expection of having to intervene when it makes a bad decision. If you're aiming for a high safety score, don't use AP around street lights. You mentioned yourself that it misbehaved at a yellow light and caused you to brake hard, so i'm agreeing with you...better off driving manually off the freeway so you know exactly what your car is going to do at any time.