Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I haven’t fully released the go pedal since the first day of driving and seeing how much it affected the HB score. 1,200+ miles in and still stuck at .4 for that one

View attachment 718206

If your hard braking .4 hasn't gone down at all after 1200 miles since the first day, then you are not registering braking events outside of autopilot, in the .1g to .3g range. Are you on autopilot most of the time? When you are braking, is it extremely gentle where it might be under .1g?

Also, even if that number doesn't change on the main screen (the .4 hard braking), it doesn't matter. The calculations on the main safety score page show overall percentages, but your actual score is calculated using the miles weighted averages of your daily scores. Showing the overall percents on the main screen is odd since those numbers aren't used to calculate your score.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Don't do that, especially not on a significant downhill!

If you're sure you did not touch the brakes at all, that probably happened on a hill.

I haven't touched the brake (except when already stationary) in several days.

Perhaps the new Model S is even stronger regen. In a way this is good - but it will require a lighter touch.

To offset the dings you'll have to do something other than pulse width modulation of the accelerator. You definitely do not need to apply the brakes to offset the dings.
after hard braking dings the initial first 3 days driving down hills, I've avoided hills at all costs and clawed back up to 100, good luck.

Reactions: phantasms
No that's not how it works.
Oh yes - that’s possible. I briefly forgot they might be using the non-gravity corrected accelerometer instead of finding deceleration using actual speed. Good explanation by @mongo in the below linked post.

So, if you want to make a system that stays in control of the vehicle and the vehicle is limited by grip do you care most about :
A: the change in vehicle speed
B: the acceleration due to the motors/ brakes
C: the accelerations/ forces at the tires?

BTW, since we don’t really know what method Tesla is using, safe thing to do is to be careful both uphill and downhill.

Did another 70 miles the last couple of days, a lot of it in traffic in downtown, on freeways, or in LAX, and I’m honestly starting to wonder how people drive to get nailed all the time. I got a 99 yesterday and 100 today. The 99 was because when I was driving home at night, I admittedly zoned out a little while driving on a section of road with no other cars and no cross streets and had to swerve around a large road kill that was illuminated at the last second. I got dinged for a hard turn event. Today got a 100 with no issues despite another day dealing with a ton of traffic while driving my aunt to LAX. I had originally thought my high score was because of my area, but It just doesn’t seem that hard to maintain a score in the high 90s even when driving in urban environments and busy freeways.
Did a 200 mile trip this weekend, and my score went from 42 to 80. I quit caring, but freeway driving makes a big difference. As for the city? Well it depends on the other drivers as well. Down here, people will brake for a mosquito, so the chances of the collision warning going off are high.

OK. As we head towards Friday night, what do people think will happen?
1) Safety Score data will continue to be collected and count towards our totals (like a running count) for those not yet selected to join the FSD Beta crew
2) Safety Score data while still collected, will not change your score as of Friday night. Meaning you score is set, and for better or worse, you can't modify it any more.
3) Do you think Tesla/Elon will tell those that didn't make the first go-round that the scores are set or still being updated for the next day(s) FSD Beta additions?
Thanks!

1) Safety Score data will continue to be collected and count towards our totals (like a running count) for those not yet selected to join the FSD Beta crew
2) Safety Score data while still collected, will not change your score as of Friday night. Meaning you score is set, and for better or worse, you can't modify it any more.
3) Do you think Tesla/Elon will tell those that didn't make the first go-round that the scores are set or still being updated for the next day(s) FSD Beta additions?
Thanks!

I don’t expect the message in the car to change. It will still say “your in the queue”

Based on the language in the car, it's seems likely to me that time you pressed the button will be a determining factor. That might give advantage to the east coasters (for once). We're in an ordered list by time of button press, and then they apply whatever conditions they want: score, mileage, geographical region, how much you make faces at the interior cabin camera, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and jebinc
Thanks!
Def #1 .. nothing will happen until 10.2, which will arrive "late" (only in "Elon time", since in reality it will arrive when its ready). Even then they wont send out the 10.2 to new testers until there is some form of signup (even if its not a full NDA).

I'm also dubious about the entire methodology here. I'm fine with Tesla selecting beta testers carefully, but I think the way they have done so is borderline absurd. For a car that is about to try to drive itself, we get a "test" that penalizes drivers for braking at a yellow light??? Seriously? All those smart guys working on new AI and all they can come up with is a half dozen dumb metrics?

The problem is, Tesla *think* they are selecting cautious drivers so that they will get careful testers (and no crashes that would create headlines and cause government to step in). However, since they published the "game" rules they are going to get (a) people who fake being good drivers so they can get on the beta and (b) people who hardly ever drive the car (since they apparently dont care if you log 5 or 500 miles of driving).

Also, it's not clear to me that a "granny" driver is a good beta tester anyway .. someone who genuinely drives in the manner needed to have 100% score is very likely to be rather slow and cautious because they are bad drivers. Just the kind of person who will not be alert enough to step in when the car does something wrong.

Def #1 .. nothing will happen until 10.2, which will arrive "late" (only in "Elon time", since in reality it will arrive when its ready). Even then they wont send out the 10.2 to new testers until there is some form of signup (even if its not a full NDA).

I'm also dubious about the entire methodology here. I'm fine with Tesla selecting beta testers carefully, but I think the way they have done so is borderline absurd. For a car that is about to try to drive itself, we get a "test" that penalizes drivers for braking at a yellow light??? Seriously? All those smart guys working on new AI and all they can come up with is a half dozen dumb metrics?

The problem is, Tesla *think* they are selecting cautious drivers so that they will get careful testers (and no crashes that would create headlines and cause government to step in). However, since they published the "game" rules they are going to get (a) people who fake being good drivers so they can get on the beta and (b) people who hardly ever drive the car (since they apparently dont care if you log 5 or 500 miles of driving).

Also, it's not clear to me that a "granny" driver is a good beta tester anyway .. someone who genuinely drives in the manner needed to have 100% score is very likely to be rather slow and cautious because they are bad drivers. Just the kind of person who will not be alert enough to step in when the car does something wrong.
im not convinced a granny driver would score 100. Sure they may get a perfect score on aggressive turning lol. But I bet they’d get slammed for close follow and possibly fair share of FCWs and hard braking due to slow reactions.

I’m not saying the scores are indicative of safe driving at all. But you need to know what you’re doing and be alert of your surroundings to get 100.

im not convinced a granny driver would score 100. Sure they may get a perfect score on aggressive turning lol. But I bet they’d get slammed for close follow and possibly fair share of FCWs and hard braking due to slow reactions.

I’m not saying the scores are indicative of safe driving at all. But you need to know what you’re doing and be alert of your surroundings to get 100.
You've clearly never seen my granny driving! :)

• Funny
Reactions: HighZ
TeslaFi is now showing more Safety Score stats.

1633505406442.png

A lot of us agree the safety score is only indirectly related to safety at best. So what does it show? Perhaps an ability to quickly adapt on the fly to something new. I'm on low regeneration, I'm keenly aware of turning/braking G's these days, I'm getting better at estimating 3-second following distances, I can quickly do the 2-finger salute while driving to erase a FCW, I'm on AP as much as possible but also frequently turn it off/on. Those are not my normal driving habits, although personally I use AP constantly and everywhere i can.

I'd suggest this nut drill is two-fold:

1. Finding those who can adapt quickly somehow to something new while driving, and

2. When (not IF) a serious accident occurs, Tesla can save face and say "we picked the safest customers we could find based on actual driving data". Truth is irrelevant.

The only part that doesn't make sense to me are the drivers who only drove 5 miles and scored 100%. They meet neither of my above criteria. I'm still guessing (although nobody has officially said) that there will be some minimal amount of miles over the 2 to 4 weeks of "safety monitoring".

To start, let me mention I almost always meet the ETAs in the nav - which are based on average traffic flow speed. I pass probably just about as many cars (going below the speed limit) than pass me (speeding, often - but just as often, I'm following a car going close enough to the speed limit and don't care to change). I've had to change only very little about my typical driving - mostly just disengaging AP to "count" following-distance positives that'd be lost if AP were on (which I usually use).

I've been at 99 the whole time - 451 miles so far - mostly commuting in SF Bay area medium-heavy commuting traffic.

FCWs - incredibly bad - because it often means you weren't paying attention enough to avoid the things it predicts. Note, "often". I haven't had a single FCW under my control/score, though today I did get an FCW while on Autopilot (thus masked/not counted) due to an aggressive lane-switcher slamming into the lane next to me - didn't come into my lane. You can avoid FCWs by always watching the road, and more importantly: predicting and reacting to what's happening around you. I have seen many "what would be FCWs if I didn't react", that I just let off the accelerator for, and FCW didn't notice.

Hard braking - honestly this saves tires and also shows you're reacting. Just slap AP on at a sudden yellow light (with traffic light detection enabled - as it should be all this time during this "game") and it'll absorb the hard braking without a ding. I also conclusively measured this in an iOS app called "G-Force" ($3, worth it) today as it measured -0.35G at least at a glance during that brake. AP had been paying attention the whole time and already made the decision to run/stop for the light - you just have to hand it the controls in time. Remember: AP masks everything. So use it where you think you can't avoid braking or following dings. I've never yet seen this not to be the case. With this metric, the window to stay in is 0.1g-0.3g, and again - it shows that you can train the appropriate reaction to a given situation: not too soft, not too hard. Admittedly, this is near impossible to stay inside this window (on the low end) when following a car in traffic to a stop, so... hey.

Aggressive turning - this just saves tires. It's also a great way to gather stats on what speed to map to what curves, because it has a window of "good" turning: 0.2-0.4G. If you're taking that turn in that window, it knows it's a comfortable speed that's meant for that turn. Good training data.

Following distance - in dynamic traffic, it takes constant concentration to know what throttle input to give it to keep your distance in the 1-3 second window that it scores as "good". If you're too far behind, it's bad training. If you're too close, it's also bad (as is current Autopilot logic, I might add). Again, more proof that you're better than the current system, and can provide good training data.

AP strikeouts / forced disengagement - this is basically "game over" as you have shown to be completely incompetent at observing the on-screen warnings about your AP usage. There are so many warnings, there's no valid excuse for ever getting one of these. There are two ways to strikeout: either ignoring the warnings, or going over AP's allowable speed by manually holding the accelerator. Neither of those should ever be encountered by anyone wanting to get into FSD Beta.

If you take "Safety Scoreᴮᵉᵗᵃ" as just a name of the game (remember: it's not actually used for Tesla Insurance!), but deconstruct its real purpose as an FSD Beta proving ground mini-game, it makes a lot of sense.

(btw - what's in a name? You think I want to go slow - and more, you think I do? lol. I would want to go as fast as I can if I weren't constrained by physics saying that going over the speed limit costs exponentially more energy - for gas and EV alike - to little or no gain in minutes. I take my speed out elsewhere off the road. Some day I ought to play around on a track but always daunted by the rules/regs/customs there. I just work hard on balancing speed with safety/courtesy on the road, and Tesla's scoring seems to agree with most of my approach!)

Last edited:
So my 2nd drive had a ding due to my playing it SAFE and pulling over to the side of the road to do something on my phone. It dinged me for hard breaking and turning for pulling over. I dropped from 100 to 97. I’m back at 99 after 5 days of 100.

My question is, are all 100’s equal?

Will my actual score possibly be 99.1 or 99.5 and it rounds up for display purposes. But there might be many 1000’s of drivers in the 99.6 to 100.0 range ahead of me.

I was penalized for following too close when because of an accident on the interstate I was forced to creep along with traffic at less than 3 miles per hour. If I had manually maintained my programmed 7 lengths distance I would have been penalized by drivers jumping in the gap. Overall there is a side benefit to this exercise as it makes you aware of bad habits that creep in. Rather than carp about it I would l like to see it made a permanent feature.

Reactions: dburkland
1633515637537.png

I remembered that he liked this tweet and it makes more sense. By doing this now, and then continuing to monitor with the cabin camera after it is deployed, I think they can have a very successful rollout. If you don't care, or aren't patient enough to jump through the hoops needed, then it is much more likely that you won't be care enough to do what's required to stay in the beta program, and obviously the higher likelihood that what gets you removed might also cause an accident that brings a lot of bad press their way.

I was penalized for following too close when because of an accident on the interstate I was forced to creep along with traffic at less than 3 miles per hour. If I had manually maintained my programmed 7 lengths distance I would have been penalized by drivers jumping in the gap. Overall there is a side benefit to this exercise as it makes you aware of bad habits that creep in. Rather than carp about it I would l like to see it made a permanent feature.
Unsafe Following is only a penalty when you are over 50MPH. So, if you were at ~3 MPH that probably wasn't where you had a problem. Is it possible that you were above 50 MPH when you rolled up on the slow traffic?

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
1) Get this app:

B) An imperfect braking score is most expediantly fixed with lots of "good" braking. So find a nice side street with lots of stop signs and little traffic. Then do lots of long braking all the way to a stop trying to keep your G-force at 0.2 - "good" braking being more than 0.1 and LESS than 0.3

Next) Fix your following score by getting on the highway (at least 50 mph) and hanging about 2.5 seconds behind a nice steady slow driver, like a semi. "Good" following is more than 1 second to 3 seconds of following distance. It sounds like you and I both usually follow much farther back. My first time on the highway I got a following score of 17%! But that was ALL from one car cutting in front of me at an exit. I just didn't get any "good" following to cushon the, like 2 seconds of "bad". If someone seems like they are going to cut me off I just turn on autopilot, cause that doesn't count"good", or "bad".
My fave little sister and good-looking GF are visiting and neither have ever ridden in a Tesla. Will my Safety Score be affected if I do a 0 to 60 blastoff? I may as well not give them a ride if I can't give them a thrill...