Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also as a side note, around 2pm today the safety score is gone from my app, however in the car is still shows I am enrolled in beta.
Did a restart, reinstall, etc. and the safety score won't come back. Maybe a sign that they are removing us S and X owners from the beta, or that we may still be getting it?

@Ryan27 I think you are okay there…. I still have a safety score.

A1394B53-F720-42B0-8177-B074FBFF1551.png

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Quick question for the group as far as safe follow is concerned.... Can we get a lower score by going out on the highway in the wee hours of the night driving with NO traffic or do we believe I would need to actually "follow" someone but just at a healthy distance?
In the FAQ's it mentions following distance is measured when your speed is above 50 AND you are within 3 seconds of the vehicle in front of you. I suggest go out in light freeway traffic, use AP as much as you can until you are safely behind someone. Then de-activate and carefully follow. If anything starts to happen, like they slow down, or a car looks like they might change lanes in front of you, immediately go back onto AP. That will bring your follow distance score down quickly.

What's the trick to get the wider visualization side on my screen? It says something about when all apps are closed, the visualization will grow wider. I tried closing the music app, so all I see is the map, but I don't see anything else changing?
In the autopilot menu you have to select and agree to the new visuals. You also have to do what you did and swipe the music away….. if I remember correctly the first time it worked for me I had selected navigate on autopilot and when I engaged it the screen got the new visuals

Considering this is beta software; I feel like it's reasonable for there to be a delay for the refreshed cars to get the update.
Cruise control and auto wipers are beta on a Tesla. AP1 from 2014 is still in beta. So be careful about what you define as OK just because it's in beta. Tesla throws "beta" on basically everything and leaves it there for years.

Had FSD beta fail going around a
Sharp corner I think it should have made. Also failed a small town roundabout. And it puts turn signals on at times when a normal human wouldn’t. Some places I just can’t use it. I’m sure it will improve over time but having these interventions helps the fleet learn so I’m ok with it. The screen is definitely busier now.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Had FSD beta fail going around a
Sharp corner I think it should have made. Also failed a small town roundabout. And it puts turn signals on at times when a normal human wouldn’t. Some places I just can’t use it. I’m sure it will improve over time but having these interventions helps the fleet learn so I’m ok with it. The screen is definitely busier now.
I also had a few fails that I figured it would make. I remember a few YouTubers saying they had poor drives and then recalibrating their cameras…… I might try it

When I take FSD out again, the first thing I'm going to do is practice interventions. Deliberately intervene, make sure I understand what remains enabled, get really proficient at it. There's just a lot of moving pieces compared to regular AP, so perfecting a smooth intervention mid-turn, etc., being able to seamlessly transition to full manual control, knowing the torques requires to knock it out of FSD, seems important. I had a screwup with this last night where it stayed in TACC (as you'd expect), so I clearly need practice! Going to go for maximum intervention strategy, haha.

Hopefully I can do this without taking too big a hit on my Safety Score. 🤣

Thought we would see more reviews, impressions and videos here by now?! What gives?
I think it’s moved over here

In the FAQ's it mentions following distance is measured when your speed is above 50 AND you are within 3 seconds of the vehicle in front of you. I suggest go out in light freeway traffic, use AP as much as you can until you are safely behind someone. Then de-activate and carefully follow. If anything starts to happen, like they slow down, or a car looks like they might change lanes in front of you, immediately go back onto AP. That will bring your follow distance score down quickly.
That metric cannot POSSIBLY be true if the SafetyScore inputs that people have had are valid.

I have been dinged for unsafe following on drives where I used Autopilot for 80 out of 80 miles. I'm not really sure what the problem is but it doesn't seem to line up with what the documentation says.

What's likely happening is you're getting dinged during transition periods like merging onto the freeway before you turn on AP or exiting the freeway after turning off AP.

You're getting dinged because those moments are what its calculating the close following percentage of. That's only a tiny amount of time, and those are times where you're going to be close to someone. The AP time isn't counted at all (towards the close following).

The best thing to do is to make sure you get a good amount of time while driving manually, and over 50. That way any close following during entering or exiting is a really small in comparison. If you do manual driving with reasonable following distance for only a mile or two then your close following distance will rapidly go down. I didn't know all of this on my first drive, and my close following was like 24%, and I never follow closely. After knowing that my close following has never been over 5.1%

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life