Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sales disagreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that it's more about how Tesla (possibly) forgot to mention the delivery fee but if you bought a car from another manufacturer isn't that just added to the sticker anyway?

At a risk of sounding silly, I don't understand why someone would walk away from a Roadster over a $1,000 delivery fee. If the sale goes/went through before the end of the year you get a $7,500 tax credit. On a 33% income-tax bracket that is equal to the government taxing over $22,700 in income; looking at it that way should more than make up for the $1,000.

As a couple people mentioned the $12k "contract" sounds like a misunderstanding. If you agree to it you pay $12k now for a battery replacement in seven-years, but it's completely optional.

(wierd that this one post made it through - woo hoo)

As a new member with a small number of posts you'll be automatically moderated if you include links and/certain key phrases; I can't go into those as I don't want to share our anti-spam measures. Suffice to say that if you stick to simple text you'll go straight through.

I did just find four posts in the filter, some were duplicates; I've chosen to delete them all as they may now appear out-of-context, please accept my apologies and, feel free to re-submit. This is an intesting topic so I'll check the filters regularly.

Once you've reached the threshold you'll be opened up automatically.

Just to be clear, we don't censor. Per Doug, we delete spam posts selling junk. We have a good relationship with Tesla and they support our open policy, the good and the bad.

My experience with Tesla has been completely different than the OP. They bent over backwards to answer questions, set up a test drive, answer more questions, arrange delivery to a remote locaton, answer more questions, expedite paperwork and payment options, answer more questions, lend me special tools so that I can swap summer/winter wheels myself and have the car read the new tire transmitters, answer more questions, etc.

I've never had the level of service and satisfaction from any other car dealer that I've dealt with.

And they gave me a really cool RC car to boot :)

Hopefully Tesla has learned from your experience so they can avoid having a repeat of an obviously bad customer experience.

Last edited:
After reading the OP's post in the Prius chat forum it looks like the majority of misunderstanding is on his part. Problems with his understandings:

1. 12K option for the battery. Somehow he was under the impression it was an extra fee to maintain 53kW for 7 yrs
2. Telsa would provide "Free" service to people outside their service center. No, they charge $1.00/mi to come to you. It was never advertised as free as far as I know
3. He's under the impression that the delivery of the gliders from UK via plane is not Eco-friendly. Obviously he hasn't researched it to know Tesla is contracting reduced rates on flights that happen regardless if a Roadster is onboard or not. Cheaper and not less Eco-friendly.

4. He seems to think that this forum is moderated by Tesla

Based upon all this, Tesla has my sympathies. In my business we occasionally get what we call "the client from Hell" that no matter what is said he does not listen, only to later complain why he wasn't told earlier.

To hear the other side of the story would be very enlightening. I'm sure a lot was said that never registered.

Last edited:
3. He's under the impression that the delivery of the gliders from UK via plane is not Eco-friendly. Obviously he hasn't researched it to know Tesla is contracting reduced rates on flights that happen regardless if a Roadster is onboard or not. Cheaper and not less Eco-friendly....

I know he's on the "plane" kick, but others have made arguments that dirty transporting an EV negates it's drivetrain advantages.

Aren't most of the cars in the world made from components made planetwide. Aren't all cars "world cars"?

Is there some math here? What's a glider weigh? What is the weight sum of parts from other cars that are shipped to the US?

Are not other cars put on boats and shipped to the US? Does every part of an EV have to be more Eco friendly or can it just be the drivetrain and be happy with that (for now).

After reading your story it seems to me that there are bits and pieces of the story you are leaving out.

You are paying over 100k for a car and bitch about 1k for a delivery fee that everyone has to pay? What makes you so special?

The 12k option sounds like a battery replacement in 7 years. Again an option.

Tesla gave you your non-refundable deposit back, that to me sounds like they are trying on their part.

Again it would be nice to hear both sides to the story, and not just a bashing because of standard fees and undelivered freebies.

I sorta got the same idea. They messed up on the AMEX discount sure, but from your own email it seems that George tried to make you happy and you just wanted to play hardball (really, arguing over $500 on a 100k+ car? In that tone no less?)

*edit* guess this thread is a bit dated, didn't see it was 3 pages ;)

Last edited:
I want to weigh in on the topic of the OP. But not his specific experience ...

In my experience Tesla does an amazing job of making its customers satisfied and happy. They go the extra mile to make things right, compensate for, and correct any disagreements, problems, or complaints that arise. It makes sense to me that they try to do this. They have a reputation to uphold. They need to ensure that reputation remains positive into and through the launch of the Model S. A tarnished reputation with respect to the Roadster and its customers would severely hamper their ability to market the Model S successfully. Model S buyers will look to the experiences of Roadster owners to get a feel for the experience they can expect themselves.

Therefore, based on my own experience and observations, I will tend to be skeptical about anyone that claims Tesla didn't make reasonable amends for a circumstance that arises.

I agree. I've asked my sales person and customer rep a ton of questions over the last few months waiting for delivery and always got a response in less than 24 hours. They've always done a great job. There has to be something else behind the original post or we're not getting the whole story. I can't believe $500 would nix a deal on a $100k+ car.

Last edited:
It's interesting to hear you guys saying this as my experience is a bit different. I'm of course a Model S reservation holder and NOT a Roadster customer. In my experience Tesla has been bad in responding to my emails. My contact in the UK is good but even he has had times were it took weeks or no answer came at all. Of course I'm hampered by the fact that there is no shop anywhere near to me and there is not much to get from me before the Model S starts rolling off the production line. So even though I'm a big Tesla fan their email response has issues for us Norwegian customers. Hopefully they will get a shop here in Oslo Q1 2011 and that should help quite a bit.

Cobos

I want to weigh in on the topic of the OP. But not his specific experience ...

In my experience Tesla does an amazing job of making its customers satisfied and happy. ...

I agree also based on my experiences with Tesla. They were very helpful during buying/waiting and the expenses I'd be responsible for were clear (since I got my car in Sept. 2009 and had waited for over 1.5 years, I guess that sales and support before getting the car may have changed significantly since my experiences). Their help with service has been awesome, including working on my car at either my work or home. With the warranty covering everything so far but tires and the annual service.

They probably are trying to focus on their Roadster customers at this point. I was a Model S reservation holder for 18 months before I ordered the Roadster as well. I think there is only so much they know/are allow to share about the Model S so it makes it more difficult for them to talk about the Model S is my guess. Hang in there on the Model S. I think it's going to be an amazing car if the Roadster is any indication.

The glider air freight discussion got moved to here.

FYI, the OP requested to have his account disabled. An odd request, but we honored it. What that means is that he's no longer able to contribute here. His posts remain, though, since I think this thread has value.

Last edited:
GK...Sorry to hear about your experience.

I think you should take some time to reconsider the purchase. Research, get feedback from others and reconnect with TM to see if a deal can finalized after you become a more informed consumer. Dude no disrespect preparation could have made the Tesla experience a much better.

Happy New Year and hopefully we all can celebrate the day you become a roadster owner.

Godspeed.