Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I'm guessing in the shopping center parking lot across the street from the In-n-Out in Mission Valley, right along I-8.

Not a bad guess: off 8 near 15.

Grossmont Center at 8 and 125 (with Highways 94 and 52 not that far away) makes sense for the same logic.

As long as the supercharger is centrally located, I'm thrilled.

Next to a Rubio's (and both locations are)? Perfect! ;)

For sure. At the Temecula Promenade (off of Winchester on the 15) there's a Macy's with a ton of parking space that's usually never taken up. Would be a great spot.

That could work, or the city just built a huge new parking structure behind old town that never fills up. They already have a few free j1772's there and in a city lot. The only issue is less "fast" food options around old town.

Sounds like a private Qualcomm thing, not a real SuperCharger. It's not "just off I-805"... it's in the middle of a congested office park area.

No way does that make sense for travelers. Traffic is a nightmare all through that area during morning, lunchtime, and afternoon. I'm skeptical Tesla could be that stupid to put a SuperCharger there.

Some friends in San Diego tell me that there is a new Supercharger going in across the street from the Qualcomm Headquarters in San Diego. That would be approximately 5638 Morehouse Dr, San Diego, CA 92121 - Google Maps.

That location would be just off of I-805, and close to Karl Strauss Brewing and a Starbucks.

While charging at Hawthorne today, the Project Manager working on the upgrade confirmed the same details.

Qualcomm already has a bunch of L2 chargers in their private, employee parking lots. This will be a Supercharger. It is a crowded office park area, but it is pretty accessible for both I-5 and I-805 traffic if you know what you are doing.

San Diego Qualcomm.png

Qualcomm already has a bunch of L2 chargers in their private, employee parking lots. This will be a Supercharger. It is a crowded office park area, but it is pretty accessible for both I-5 and I-805 traffic if you know what you are doing.

I heard a slightly different location (a couple blocks away, at a different Qualcomm building.) Given the number of Teslas at the company, it makes some sense. But given the number of Leafs and other plugins, a whole bunch of L2 stations would make even more sense.

Well, at least this Qualcomm supercharger location, if it is real, will be nicely accessible during the weekends. Traffic won't be an issue then. And if it's where I think it is, then there is a good food court not far away.

I guess it's time someone did a drive around to see if they can spot any construction activity...

Well, at least this Qualcomm supercharger location, if it is real, will be nicely accessible during the weekends. Traffic won't be an issue then. And if it's where I think it is, then there is a good food court not far away.

I guess it's time someone did a drive around to see if they can spot any construction activity...

Unfortunately the food court(s) are only open for lunch during the week, although there is MacDougall's, Starbucks, and the aforementioned Karl Strauss. From the pin in the map above to the Karl Strauss is only about 200 yards cross country, but there's an embankment you have to navigate. I hope they put in a set of stairs or something, otherwise it's a hilly 600 yards or so.

It's true that the traffic out of that area during peak times is horrible, but there's also a lot of roadwork going on at the 805 to expand its capacity. So far it's gotten worse, not better. Time will tell I guess.

(I was the third Roadster owner at Qualcomm, and pushed to have charging spots (110V/20A!) dedicated, first Model S owner, but left nearly a year ago.)

Please remember that my pin in the map above is only a general suggestion of mine given available information, not the exact location of a permit or other solid evidence. However, I have two direct, independent, reliable sources of information to this San Diego Supercharger near Qualcomm, and there seem to be a couple of more that have come up in this discussion.

Ignoring the rush hour traffic issues, notice how well this location is connected to I-5 and I-805 by exits on Sorrento Valley Road and Mira Mesa Blvd.

I'll bet a free charge at a Supercharger that a Supercharger is coming to this area in the next several months.

It's not just rush hour traffic. It's a very heavily congested area. Lunch hour is insane. If this SuperCharger location is the real deal, and it is anywhere near a food court or other amenities, I guarantee there will be insane ICE problems with the charger spots. If it is located off the beaten path, maybe closer to a corporate office or something, of which there are many in the Mira Mesa / Lusk Blvd area, then not so much, but then... that traffic getting to / from there.

Ugh, I really hope this is all in error. I think this area is really bad for a SuperCharger, at least a non-Qualcomm-funded, public one.