Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego Area Superchargers (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the problem Tesla is having is locating a landlord/location that works. So i was thinking, the government has already allowed a half dozen EV charging stations in the public mission bay parking spot. that means they have the electricity and the spots.....Randy would know, he's the SDG&E guy, and I think they have to go through him to get the juice. It is convenient to the 8 and the 5, as it is just west of Sea World on West Mission Bay Blvd.

I'm not sure recommending a spot which you admitted is already congested is a great location for Superchargers. It means there's a higher likelihood that the spots will get ICE'd. Secondly, even though it's close to the freeways, Mission Bay is a better candidate for a destination charge than a road trip-enabling charge. If you were coming from up North and were headed to Tucson or something, you'd end up having to drive relatively far into San Diego, and likely deal with heavier traffic. Ideally it should be on the North or East side of the city for people travelling North-South along the 15 and/or East-West along the 8. Lastly, you don't really want to have people parking up at the Supercharger while they go to Sea World for the day. You want it to be near someplace you can grab a coffee or a quick bite to eat, not someplace you can spend the entire day.

Randy, what about the mission bay area where they have already installed the public charging stations in the public lot near the restrooms that are always overused and blocked by Car2GO?

If they are having that much trouble getting space down in SD, can they look at public places like these?

Hi Greg,
Interesting that you should bring up the Mission Bay site...One aspect of site acquisition that most people don't know about or think about is all the "Red tape" or legal agreement that has to take place before charging stations can be sited at a particular location. That site is a City of San Diego site, and along with some other sites, was in a portfolio of locations chosen for charging station installation that had to go through the City's legal team and ultimately all the way to the City Council for approval. In other words, it took some time. About a year, if I remember correctly, before all the approvals were received, which is probably among the longest lead time of any of the sites I've dealt with. I don't know what the City's reaction would be if a new request came in from Tesla. It would probably take a long time to figure out...

The City just received a $500,000 grant from the CEC to finish up the balance of those original sites, since the original partner went out of business, and I've been involved recently with infrastructure on those other sites. They should be coming along in a few months...

It's a shame of all the red tape here in San Diego. One of the best spots would probably be the Station at Morena Vista. It's right at the intersection of the 8 and 5 freeways, is in the same parking lot as a Subway, pizza place, sushi, jamba juice, and a Starbucks. It's also in the same lot as the Trolley station which you can take to old town, mission valley, and downtown. Seems like the perfect spot, except for the possibility of an ICE during the lunch rush, but who knows.

Well, in my opinion the San Diego dot should be moved to 2015. It's nice to know that they are making the effort to locate one here, but "coming soon" or "2014" is not going to happen.
It sure will be exciting when we can get a firm location and start to see the work progress.......sigh......

A few days ago, I tried to find if there was a way to search for City of San Diego permits. Didn't find anything online. Sounds like someone will have to navigate the city's permitting bureaucracy to find out more...

This site for San Diego County (PDS tab) might be helpful, but it's a bit of a needle in a haystack problem and I don't know if the supercharger permit would be in the database at all.

I don't think you will find it there if the supercharger is to be in the San Diego city limits.

If you search for permits with a San Diego address, you get a gazillion results so I think it is for the whole county, not just unincorporated areas. I haven't had much luck with these databases outside of Oregon, but if anyone wants to give it a go, there it is. The supercharger may not be in San Diego proper, just like the Tampa supercharger is in a neighboring city.

This site for San Diego County (PDS tab) might be helpful, but it's a bit of a needle in a haystack problem and I don't know if the supercharger permit would be in the database at all.

That site is for County permits, so if it is within The City of San Diego, it won't be there. Also, you can't search by permit owner on that database.

No, this is going to require someone with a high pain tolerance for navigating in person or via the phone the bureaucracy of the San Diego planning department.

This comic comes to mind...

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff600/fv00597.htm

If you search for permits with a San Diego address, you get a gazillion results so I think it is for the whole county, not just unincorporated areas. I haven't had much luck with these databases outside of Oregon, but if anyone wants to give it a go, there it is. The supercharger may not be in San Diego proper, just like the Tampa supercharger is in a neighboring city.

There are some "San Diego, CA" addresses that are outside the city limits. Also, I looked up my own address, inside the city limits, and there are no results. The city has it's own development services department, so records for building permits inside the city limits would probably be with them, not the county.

In a San Diego Tesla facebook group posting, someone posted that they strongly believed, with no evidence posted or forthcoming, that there would be a Supercharger at the Carlsbad Westfield mall. If true, I suspect, also without proof, that there would also be another one located closer to downtown.

I tried to look up Carlsbad permits, but their online system totally sucks. Next step, a site visit driving slowly around the mall...

In a San Diego Tesla facebook group posting, someone posted that they strongly believed, with no evidence posted or forthcoming, that there would be a Supercharger at the Carlsbad Westfield mall. If true, I suspect, also without proof, that there would also be another one located closer to downtown.

I tried to look up Carlsbad permits, but their online system totally sucks. Next step, a site visit driving slowly around the mall...

I think any Westfield is in play. Tesla has their show rooms in a couple and the Culver City location is also a Westfield. It could be that Tesla is bidding out this location and the contractor has not been decided yet and if that is the case a permit may not have been applied for yet.

I was at the San Diego Service Center yesterday (getting typically fantastic 24,000 mile service on the car). They said that the Super Charger team spent last weekend in San Diego looking for sites. They hadn't picked anything yet, but were looking at areas such as the 8 at the 15, downtown San Diego and Temecula. I wonder if they won't end up installing multiple sites? Anyway, it sounds like no site had been chosen as of last week.

I was at the San Diego Service Center yesterday (getting typically fantastic 24,000 mile service on the car). They said that the Super Charger team spent last weekend in San Diego looking for sites. They hadn't picked anything yet, but were looking at areas such as the 8 at the 15, downtown San Diego and Temecula. I wonder if they won't end up installing multiple sites? Anyway, it sounds like no site had been chosen as of last week.

Temecula would definitely make round trips to Big Bear much nicer.