Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save the Date - Gigafactory Party July 29th in Reno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the official event information that I received from Tesla ... hope this helps :cool:

PARKING AND CHARGING
  • Valet parking will be available onsite. Entry to valet parking will be via Electric Avenue.
  • Charging will not be available onsite. The closest Supercharger locations are in Reno or Truckee.
  • Transportation will be provided from Reno to the Gigafactory event. Additional details to come.
ACCOMMODATIONS
  • We recommend booking a room at one of the following nearby hotels:
  • Hyatt Place Reno Tahoe Airport
  • Hilton Garden Inn Reno
  • Residence Inn Reno
  • Courtyard Reno

Yeah, my invite says this as well -- I was hoping for more clarity around the "Additional details to come" -- since there are hotels right at the airport and others further away, I presume the shuttle(s) will go on a circuit -- my main question is what is the timing of the pickups, and are they picking up at these designated hotels? I can see many have reservations at other hotels. Personally I'll be at the Grand Sierra which isn't too far from the Hyatt Place Reno Tahoe Airport. I could hoof it over to there for the pickup if I knew what time(s) it will be!

I understand there will be shuttle service from the host hotels and valet parking is also available. We are renting an ICE - hopefully I remember how to use a gas station :).

It also mentioned that the charging stations at the Gigafactory will not be available so the Supercharger in Reno will be busy...!

Regarding the newly painted lines... my hope is we will get "test rides" with no driver!

Reactions: DÆrik
Regarding the newly painted lines... my hope is we will get "test rides" with no driver!

Ha ha.. that's funny. Even *if* Tesla had some sort of Autonomous driving capability to demo (which I'm sure they don't have yet), I'm sure they wouldn't be demoing it at the GF opening. And even if they had it, and could demo it, there's no way they'd accept that kind of liability for public riders using pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha software in case anything went wrong.

Anything even close to AD being demo'd is years away.

Not to mention sacrificing some of their best customers and referrers in this way :).

Yeah. I find it very funny how the Tesla Kool-aid drinkers think that full on Autonomous Driving is so so close, and even going to be available on the Model 3! I say to that "yeah, right!". I have absolutely no doubt that Tesla can do it, and they're way ahead of most other car companies on the planet or even Google. Maybe even all the sensors will be in place on the Model 3 (which is NOT the same as AP v2.0). But to see it actually in reality, on-ramp to off-ramp AD or even better, in the next decade? Not going to happen until the laws catch up to the technology. And we know how quickly that moves. If Tesla can't convince several states to just allow factory-direct sales, you really think they're going to convince the very same lawmakers to allow driverless Tesla cars on the road? Full AD demos will be relegated to awesome Tesla parties and "private roads".

/rant off

I find it very funny how the Tesla Kool-aid drinkers think that full on Autonomous Driving is so so close, and even going to be available on the Model 3!
Your generalization is not supportable. There are plenty of Tesla fans, including me, who are confident that Tesla will be able to offer L4 autonomous driving in the near future (2 to 3 or maybe 4 years) but do not expect it to be available when Model 3 deliveries begin.

Has anyone heard information on how Tesla is providing shuttles to the event? I know for referral winners they were offering this. I'm hoping they will have ongoing shuttles in waves beyond just the 6pm start time.

I'm landing in Reno at around 630pm, and since the GF is 30 mins from the airport, I expect I'll be able to make it in time for the 9 pm remarks, and hopefully a tour. It would be great to catch one of the shuttles to save the trouble of arranging transportation.

Hi Steve,

Do you have a +1? I'm a fellow Vancouverite, but I'll be in Sacramento/Reno until the 31st. If you have a +1, I could pick you up at the Reno airport and drive us to the event (in a Tesla).

Just an FYI for those driving through Colorado. I-70 is closed in Glenwood Canyon today and tomorrow from 9 until 3:30 so plan accordingly. Tesla navigation will suggest an alternate route.

I-70 will be CLOSED in Glenwood Canyon in both directions (Mile Marker 116-133) today and tomorrow, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for rockfall mitigation work. Preferred Alternate Routes: US 40 to CO 13; US 285 to US 50. (Note: CO 131 has an 8-foot width restriction due to bridge work) CO 82 Independence Pass is viable for passenger vehicles but no CMVs or vehicles over 35 feet long are permitted on the pass.Click here for full project information.

I've added a message to the !GigaFactory Glympse tracking thread as well.

Last edited:
Just received this update on the GF event from Tesla ... :cool:

Thank you again for confirming your attendance at this week's Gigafactory Grand Opening.
Ahead of the event, here are a few useful reminders:

Gigafactory_Hero.jpg

Thank you again for confirming your attendance at this week's Gigafactory Grand Opening.
Ahead of the event, here are a few useful reminders:

Please note the following:
  • Invitations are non-transferable and ID will be checked upon arrival.
  • Guests must arrive at the same time as the primary ticket holder.
  • Check-in will open at 5pm.
  • Factory Tours and test rides will be offered on a first to arrive basis from 6-9pm. Time slots will be allocated at check-in.
  • Remarks will begin at 9pm, tours and rides to resume after remarks.
  • The event will be held both indoors and outdoors, we recommend appropriate outerwear in case of cooler weather.
  • Closed toed shoes must be worn. Flat-heeled shoes recommended.
  • Children must be over the age of 8 and over 48 inches tall to go on a factory tour.
Shuttle Service
  • Complimentary shuttles will be offered from The Whitney Peak Hotel in Reno to and from the event.
  • Guests will be required to show their pass to gain entry onto the shuttle.
Event Parking and Charging
  • Valet parking will be available onsite at the event.
  • Entry to parking will be via Electric Avenue.
  • Charging will not be available onsite. The closest Supercharger locations are in Reno and Truckee.
  • Guests will be required to show their valet pass to security upon arrival.
Uber
  • Uber will be available to transport guests to and from the event.
  • For destination and pickup location please input “Tesla Gigafactory”.
  • Ubers will be staged onsite for quick departures.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker