Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scarcity of midwest deliveries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PattyChuck

Model S P100D, Model X P90D
Jan 24, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
Maybe it's hyper-sensitivity to the whole delivery process, or there just aren't many Model S drivers in the midwest, but does anyone else get the feeling that Elon might have had a bad experience at one time in Chicago, and is therefore not shipping us any cars?

I doubt deliveries are based on Elon's personal feelings about areas of the country...

I do however wonder if they're shipping cars that are closer to open service centers. I'm in Northern KY, and wonder if my delivery date is being delayed due to this. I think Chicago is still my closest center.

I wonder if most Chicago area buyers wanted to see how it performed in cold weather before finalizing.

A guy 1 block over from me ordered a Model S. I believe he was in the 6000s and wanted a 2012 delivery. Last I heard it was on the truck 12/31.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Maybe it's hyper-sensitivity to the whole delivery process, or there just aren't many Model S drivers in the midwest, but does anyone else get the feeling that Elon might have had a bad experience at one time in Chicago, and is therefore not shipping us any cars?

Two or three of the very first Model S deliveries went to Chicago.

I'm not sure I even know how to begin to answer this question. What on earth would give you the "feeling" that Elon had a bad experience with Chicago? This may be the craziest thing I have heard on these boards, but I am fully open to changing my initial opinion if you can convince me why this is/may be the case.

I'm not sure I even know how to begin to answer this question. What on earth would give you the "feeling" that Elon had a bad experience with Chicago? This may be the craziest thing I have heard on these boards, but I am fully open to changing my initial opinion if you can convince me why this is/may be the case.

Maybe it was tongue-in-cheek.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

It was meant to be sarcasm. It's clear not many people took it that way.

I've never been good at nonverbal communication, especially on online forums.

Also, I was speaking more to the delivery of the December 15-31 window vehicles.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. It is harder on forums to read the intent of the post.

There are far less reservations the farther you get from the coasts (north "coast" not included)

If you consider this, combined with the desire to get as many cars out the door as possible (the Midwest is not as easy to deliver to for distance and travel reasons) they may have put off some MW cars until post 1/1/13 in order to get as much volume as possible.

I would like to say that if I was one of those people who may or may not have been pushed that I would understand... But I do not know that for sure...

I do know one thing, if it happened this way... It was what was best for the longterm strength of TESLA.

I know of at least 6 S deliveries in the Chicago area. Plus the 2 or 3 from initial launch. Not mine yet :(

Here are some pics:
Northern Illinois Tesla Owners Group first meeting / photos.

I would guess that maybe its just a lower percent of the people in the midwest that are on the forums. When my car was delivered Christmas day it was on a fully loaded truck of MN cars but I don't recall seeing anyone else mention getting their car in the area.

I know of one new owner in the Minneapolis are that got his Model S on December 29th. Another just dropped by with his beautiful blue 85kWh which was dropped off this morning (truck has drops to make in Michigan and Ohio next).
I have had lunch with another Model S performance owner who got his 3-4 weeks ago, so there are at least 3 in my suburb of Minneapolis.
As of three weeks ago, I heard that there were 50 in Minnesota alone.
I think most Midwesterners are a bit more introverted on average, and probably less represented on the forum. I think I have only seen one other person with 'Minnesota' in their 'location' tag.

Edit, well heck, maybe two others, hello Raptor:)

(truck has drops to make in Michigan and Ohio next).
Zythryn, Too funny... Saw your posting and wondered if my car is on the truck you referred to. 2 minutes later got a call from the driver. He wondered how I knew that he just dropped off a blue one in MN. Said my car was next and will be here tomorrow AM. Thanks for the heads up!

I would guess that maybe its just a lower percent of the people in the midwest that are on the forums. When my car was delivered Christmas day it was on a fully loaded truck of MN cars but I don't recall seeing anyone else mention getting their car in the area.

I think that's it -- or at least fewer active posters from the Midwest. I think you have a clustering of stores in both coasts and many fewer in the middle.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Don't forget that there is a Tesla board of directors member in Chicago. I believe his name is Antonio Gracias. I was thinking we'd get a supercharger station earlier for that reason.