Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scenarios for being Kicked out of FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For drivers who have been given access to FSD Beta, I’m aware that after 5 forced Autopilot disengagements they would be kicked out of FSD Beta. It’s just unclear to me in which scenarios the driver is being evaluated.

If the FSD Beta toggle is turned off (shown here), do forced autopilot disengagements count as strikes?

If the FSD Beta toggle is turned on and the vehicle is on the freeway using navigate on autopilot, do forced autopilot disengagements count as strikes?

Separate question, are there any downsides to being enrolled in FSD Beta other than navigate on city streets still being quite buggy? If there are downsides, could they be eliminated by turning the FSD Beta toggle off?

I’m not in the FSD Beta, but two other things you lose with FSD Beta are radar (if your car has the hardware) and access to some new features in non-FSD Beta builds. I think you would have to drop out of the FSD Beta to get those, turning it off on the touchscreen isn’t enough.
What do you mean by having radar hardware resulting in the loss of FSD Beta?

What do you mean by having radar hardware resulting in the loss of FSD Beta?
If your car has radar hardware, the FSD Beta build won’t use it, it’s vision only. The regular builds still use radar if you have it. Newer 3/Y cars don’t have the radar hardware anymore so it doesn’t matter if you have one of those. You didn’t say which car you had.

Reactions: K5TRX
For drivers who have been given access to FSD Beta, I’m aware that after 5 forced Autopilot disengagements they would be kicked out of FSD Beta. It’s just unclear to me in which scenarios the driver is being evaluated.

If the FSD Beta toggle is turned off (shown here), do forced autopilot disengagements count as strikes?

If the FSD Beta toggle is turned on and the vehicle is on the freeway using navigate on autopilot, do forced autopilot disengagements count as strikes?

Separate question, are there any downsides to being enrolled in FSD Beta other than navigate on city streets still being quite buggy? If there are downsides, could they be eliminated by turning the FSD Beta toggle off?
This was my photo you linked to, but I don’t ever drive without FSD beta toggle enabled (and I usually have it engaged as well, unless I’m in a rush or “having some driving fun”). So I don’t know if forced AP disengagements count as strikes in the first case you mention. The photo was taken when sitting in the car relaxing (watching a movie or something). I save a different driver profile called “Netflix and Chill” that doesn’t have FSD beta toggled on since we never drive using that profile. The saved driver seat position is waaaaayyyy back and lowered, the steering wheel is moved up and forward as much out of the way as possible, other saved settings that are more ideal for hanging out in the car. Similarly, we have other saved profiles for Teslamping (moves the driver seat forward and up to give back seat area the most room possible).

Anyhow, in the second situation you mention, I’m pretty sure forced AP disengagements while using AP on highways (which is currently the same as production AP and not FSD beta) also count as strikes.

Your last question was mostly answered by the EVRider-FL. We have an “old” Model 3 (from early 2018) which has radar hardware, but that was shut off and never used when we joined FSD beta back in Oct 2021. As far as I understand, we can’t radar to turn on/be used again until we fully withdraw from the FSD beta program (not just flip the switch toggle). Some have reported highway AP without radar as worse, but it’s been fine for us. I enjoy FSD beta way too much to wanna withdraw from the program.

You have to be actually using FSD beta (new visualizations showing on-screen) to accrue strikeouts that can ultimately get you kicked out of beta.

Going over 80mph while on highway AP/NoA does not count toward strikeouts, even though that is an auto AP disengagement. My understanding is that strikeouts only count when the center screen shows the new fsd-beta visualizations, and on the highway, it reverts back to the old code/visualizations.

I personally don't care that my radar is not used anymore because my car performs better with the vision-only system. I might be in the minority here.

If your car has radar hardware, the FSD Beta build won’t use it, it’s vision only. The regular builds still use radar if you have it. Newer 3/Y cars don’t have the radar hardware anymore so it doesn’t matter if you have one of those. You didn’t say which car you had.
Not sure if I have radar or not. It's a 2018 with an October build date... from what I understand that radar has been disabled anyway.

Any idea how to get back the FSD beta? I was suspended yesterday after getting a third warning. In actuality the third warning was not even using the FSD beta but rather just the standard cruise with auto steering. I had two strikes for over three months so it was just a matter of time until the third popped up. The "counter" has never reset, even after getting the past two software updates.

What irks me the most about it, is that I actually was "hands" on the yoke at the time of all three warnings. In the refresh S, i usually drive with my elbow on the center console and then my right hand holding the bottom right corner of the yoke. On my car, unless you tug on the yoke, the fsd doesn't recognize the contact. Of course you then have to balanace the tugging amount versus disengagaing the FSD. It's a fine line. All three of these warnings occured on long stretches of straight away highway driving-looking mid windshield straight ahead with my hand on the bottom right of the yoke. The combination of no turns and the small sized warning message way at the bottom of the center screen contributed to the issue my missing the initial warning.

Just wear sunglasses, it stops monitoring where you look for the most part. Absolutely ridiculous that you can't even look at the screen for more than a second in a full self driving car

Agreed with the sunglasses (unless your car has the IR emitters next to the camera).

You can look at the screen for almost 10 seconds before getting the warning. This is the norm. If your car flags you only after 1 second for looking away, it's out of spec and should be examined by a service center (though they might play the "FSD beta" card and throw their hands up, depending on the SC).

Another disadvantage of being in FSD beta is you get fewer software updates. I’m on 2022.4.5.21, FSD 10.11.2, several versions behind the latest release, 2022.12.3.2. That means I’m still stuck with the crappy original V11 interface.

Reactions: GSP and Dcam
Thank you for the helpful responses. With respect to my first question:
The answer is yes they do still count as strikes, unfortunately. I got the answer from a different thread: FSD impending 5th strike Here is the excerpt:
An update: A couple days ago I disabled FSD Beta in the Autopilot menu.
Yesterday I managed to get a 5th strike anyway while on autopilot on the highway (all five of my strikes were on the highway, BTW).

After I parked, I got the following message:
FSD Beta has been temporarily removed due to continued improper use. The feature may be restored with an upcoming software release.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have got my FSD beta a week ago after more than a month of safety score testing. I have 2017 model S. So I don't have interior camera. Yesterday when driving on highway with FSD beta ON, I got my first strike. I have no clue why I got that. I saw couple of notifications saying move your steering wheel and I did. All of a sudden I saw the red alert wheel symbol saying my FSD is unavailable for the rest of the journey. My status shows I can afford a total of 3 strikes before my FSD beta will be revoked. Did you guys have any such experience? If the strike happens without a valid reason like this, I am sure I will hit my quota of 3 strikes soon. If my FSD beta gets revoked, how long will it be revoked? I knew previously there were 5 strikes to get revoked. Did they make it stricter now?

Any idea how to get back the FSD beta? I was suspended yesterday after getting a third warning. In actuality the third warning was not even using the FSD beta but rather just the standard cruise with auto steering. I had two strikes for over three months so it was just a matter of time until the third popped up. The "counter" has never reset, even after getting the past two software updates.

What irks me the most about it, is that I actually was "hands" on the yoke at the time of all three warnings. In the refresh S, i usually drive with my elbow on the center console and then my right hand holding the bottom right corner of the yoke. On my car, unless you tug on the yoke, the fsd doesn't recognize the contact. Of course you then have to balanace the tugging amount versus disengagaing the FSD. It's a fine line. All three of these warnings occured on long stretches of straight away highway driving-looking mid windshield straight ahead with my hand on the bottom right of the yoke. The combination of no turns and the small sized warning message way at the bottom of the center screen contributed to the issue my missing the initial warning.
Anyone know the answer?