Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Changes with New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the relevant tweets. I think some of the confusion was about whether, in the second tweet, the "1/2" meant this update was one of two or (as I read it) half of the two fire emoji's he originally promised. I would rephrase his response to the complaint that it was disappointing as: "It's one flame (or half a flame if you don't have a pedestrian speaker)." And there's always more to come....someday.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 5.38.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 5.42.37 PM.png

Any concerns/thoughts regarding the change from the industry standard green battery icon to a much more subtle grey? It still goes to orange when less than 20% so clearly Tesla believes that color is helpful when trying to convey information however I’d like the icon to revert back to green in a future update as battery state-of-charge is a critical piece of information at all times.

Any concerns/thoughts regarding the change from the industry standard green battery icon to a much more subtle grey? It still goes to orange when less than 20% so clearly Tesla believes that color is helpful when trying to convey information however I’d like the icon to revert back to green in a future update as battery state-of-charge is a critical piece of information at all times.

Concerns? No, nothing to be concerned with. It's not really a safety feature. It's not hard to get your battery information.

Thoughts? Yes, I think it sucks. Looks worse, is harder to read. I don't think I've seen one person on multiple forums think this was a good idea.

Concerns?

Thoughts? Yes, I think it sucks. Looks worse, is harder to read. I don't think I've seen one person on multiple forums think this was a good idea.

Unless you are young with eagle vision, it is hard to see the display with such small font lettering doing highway speeds. The number one issue with new EV converts or potential converts is range anxiety. Why not allay it with a large green bar with both % energy and approx miles left in big font. And cut out useless info that I don't need to see while driving.

Reactions: RNHurt

Interesting question. I have thought about this some. I was actually surprised to see it turn gray/grey. Maybe the thinking is that green indicates "you're in really good shape"...but gray/grey indicates "nothing to worry about yet, will let you know when your SOC is too low". Thus, until you see color there, you're not supposed to worry about it? Green could give the impression you're in better shape than you are. I'm likely overthinking it, but it changed for a reason.

Reactions: RNHurt
I am having a hard time seeing it, but in the new visualization of the car, from the rear view of the car's visualization, do the turn signals look amber to anyone? I have the red turn signal lights, before they changed to amber...and wondering if the system is able to differentiate between which cars have red and which have amber. Mine appear amber to me, but it's hard to tell.

Not a fan of how the car is now displayed on the left side. It’s more eye candy and less useful.

The rear hatch button is now askew and up to the right instead of being an easy dead center press. Sure the frunk is easier to open, but I rarely use it, partly because closing the frunk is a PITA.

I would hope in future update that they flip the car around so that opening the rear is easier and not harder.

Though now my interior is the correct color.

Reactions: spokey
I truly despise the new UI. They either need to fix it or allow for customization. I know that customization is coming, but I would encourage Tesla to go back to the old UI in the interim. My biggest concerns:

- Speedometer font is too small

- Gear icons are WAY too small. Knowing whether your car is in park or drive is sort of important

- Why in the world did they make the backup camera view smaller? And by making it smaller, the Homelink drop down menu now blocks a critical portion of the backup image (see pic below). This was a really unfortunate decision by the UI team.

- The FSD animations take up way too much of the screen. The nav map is more important to me than the FSD visualizations. I get that they are preparing for the public rollout of the FSD rewrite, but how many Tesla owners actually have FSD? I’m betting it’s 1/3 or less. And of those that do have FSD, how often do they use it? I use mine almost exclusively on interstate highways. Why optimize your UI for a minority of your user base and an even smaller minority of your actual utilization? That’s a very poor UI decision.

- While the grey color of the battery level icon looks nice, the green/yellow/red color scheme of the previous icon made it much easier for users to quickly read and understand the current state of charge.

- Way too much blank space. 1/3 of the space in the left hand portion of the screen is completely wasted.

To be fair to Tesla, some elements of the new update are quite good. The new list of software update modifications is great. The new car visualization is really cool (but it’s too damn big). The new texting features are nice. Spotify integration appears to have improved. I could go on. But all of the good things are “nice to haves” while all of the problems impacting the practical functionality of the car are “must haves.”

I love our Model 3 and Model Y and I trust Tesla to fix this, but I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

EDA1EA8C-AF45-4750-AA97-D3F79AFDF46E.jpeg

The monochrome UI is all the rage these days, just look at your PC, iPhone or Mac's battery icon. The Mac one shown below, also uses black to indicate a "full" battery, which seems counterintuitive. Yet, Tesla still uses color to indicate that the headlamps or foglamps are on and for the turn signals (and of course for AP/NoA, etc.). I can live with most of these changes, although I prefer the previous design, but the one change that I really can't abide by is the low-visibility accel/regen bar, which is now a razor thin line.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 8.44.32 AM.png
image001.png

Reactions: BDV300 and DanDi58
Unless you are young with eagle vision, it is hard to see the display with such small font lettering doing highway speeds. The number one issue with new EV converts or potential converts is range anxiety. Why not allay it with a large green bar with both % energy and approx miles left in big font. And cut out useless info that I don't need to see while driving.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said.

My point is that it's not "concerning" because that information is available elsewhere, and it's not driving critical.

No concerns and the UI change is better and consistent.

Battery Bar:
- Grey is you're fine
- Orange is getting low (<20%?)
- Red is need a recharge soon (<10%?)
- Green is charging

All of this can be taken in with your peripheral vision while keeping your eyes on the road.

I find most of your criticisms as superficial.

Font size: How were able to read anything before this update? o_O

Gear icon: I change gears very infrequently. I don't need to know that I'm in Drive (not Reverse, Park, Neutral) when I'm going 70mph on the freeway. It's sort of a bad habit, but I almost never Park in my Tesla since I use the Hold mode.

White space: When you get into your Tesla it's spartan, right? I mean, where are all of the dials and buttons? Why doesn't Tesla start adding haptics all over the place like other cars (ideally busy enough so you feel like an airplane pilot) to keep your distracted from actually driving? :rolleyes: Obviously, people get bored playing with their phones while driving so we need to add shiny clutter to your car's UI.

I truly despise the new UI. They either need to fix it or allow for customization. I know that customization is coming, but I would encourage Tesla to go back to the old UI in the interim. My biggest concerns:

- Speedometer font is too small

- Gear icons are WAY too small. Knowing whether your car is in park or drive is sort of important

- Why in the world did they make the backup camera view smaller? And by making it smaller, the Homelink drop down menu now blocks a critical portion of the backup image (see pic below). This was a really unfortunate decision by the UI team.

- The FSD animations take up way too much of the screen. The nav map is more important to me than the FSD visualizations. I get that they are preparing for the public rollout of the FSD rewrite, but how many Tesla owners actually have FSD? I’m betting it’s 1/3 or less. And of those that do have FSD, how often do they use it? I use mine almost exclusively on interstate highways. Why optimize your UI for a minority of your user base and an even smaller minority of your actual utilization? That’s a very poor UI decision.

- While the grey color of the battery level icon looks nice, the green/yellow/red color scheme of the previous icon made it much easier for users to quickly read and understand the current state of charge.

- Way too much blank space. 1/3 of the space in the left hand portion of the screen is completely wasted.

To be fair to Tesla, some elements of the new update are quite good. The new list of software update modifications is great. The new car visualization is really cool (but it’s too damn big). The new texting features are nice. Spotify integration appears to have improved. I could go on. But all of the good things are “nice to haves” while all of the problems impacting the practical functionality of the car are “must haves.”

I love our Model 3 and Model Y and I trust Tesla to fix this, but I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

View attachment 625283

• Disagree
Reactions: Mrbrock and frankvb
Yeah, this new screen has some questionable component. The left side mostly negative space also contains the PRND which is fairly Grey even when a gear is engaged. I almost reversed instead of moving forward the other day. Then there are the series of icons*(speed, cruise, AP erc.) on the top which all lumped together just seem random.

Thank you for this. As a new owner, I didn't even realize the PRND indication was there--small light grey dots on a white background!--until I read your post.

Not a fan of how the car is now displayed on the left side. It’s more eye candy and less useful.

The rear hatch button is now askew and up to the right instead of being an easy dead center press. Sure the frunk is easier to open, but I rarely use it, partly because closing the frunk is a PITA.

I would hope in future update that they flip the car around so that opening the rear is easier and not harder.

Though now my interior is the correct color.
Agree. I've mis-tapped a couple times at this point. Also rarely use the frunk for the same reason. Most recently popped it by accident (new screen) so I guess that counts as a use.