Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Changes with New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main thing I like about the maps is the large screen area devoted to it. All other maps I have seen come from 5-8" screens that are to tiny.

The thing I would like to see are Waypoints and display of multiple routes with distances and time so that you can choose the one you like or are comfortable with ( like current google maps on a computer or phone).

Does Acura still charge $199 for a map update? Tesla charges $0.00.

Yes. They used to constantly bug me to buy new DVD-ROM to update my maps which I never used but a couple of times. Entering those addresses were so cumbersome. Change State. Then enter city. The street. Then number and so on. And it did not have Canadian maps so when when we were there we used Google maps with T-mobile data on my phone.
The voice command of giving an address to Tesla map and the car routing it within seconds is light years ahead of my Acura.

Reactions: mark95476
As someone who has been driving nothing but Teslas since early 2013 I want to say that this unfortunate GUI “update” is the first update that I regret receiving. The big, beautiful maps, already diminished in size from the S now are needlessly tiny while valuable real estate is given over to huge and unnecessary avatars and blank space. The real flaws in the system, many existing from the very beginning have still not been corrected— way too much space given to what you can already see out the front windshield (and now even more wasted real estate!), dime sized buttons that you are supposed to hit safely at freeway speeds (the voice control did help but is still incomplete), too tiny fonts etc.

A serious GUI update in my opinion would fix the non performing and therefore dangerous lane change warning system and flip the whole avatar display so that you can see what is behind you. Another priority should be to complete the voice control system. For instance, I would like to be able to turn off the air conditioning system compressor without turning off the whole system.

On the positive side, I do like the addition of the one button rear view camera access.

Still the best cars in the world but time to ditch the computer game and fart mentality and format the interface for fun and serious driving.

I realize the screen adjustments were made to prepare for the new FSD that requires more real estate. However I do have a couple of complaints:-

The regen line is too narrow, hard to see, and the no-regen-available dots are invisible. Please just widen the line.

I would move the speed limit sign to the far right, too much congestion with the other speed-related icons on the left.

The use of grey text on white background makes things hard to read, the major one for me being the miles-remaining number. The gear position letters are also hard to read but I never use them anyway. Some people may.

Looking forward to the new FSD.

Here are the relevant tweets. I think some of the confusion was about whether, in the second tweet, the "1/2" meant this update was one of two or (as I read it) half of the two fire emoji's he originally promised. I would rephrase his response to the complaint that it was disappointing as: "It's one flame (or half a flame if you don't have a pedestrian speaker)." And there's always more to come....someday.

View attachment 624698View attachment 624699
OH! Now I think I know what Elon meant when he said the update was "fire fire". One of the developers must have accidentally set the code on fire and lost it :eek::D Then we got nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I truly despise the new UI. They either need to fix it or allow for customization. I know that customization is coming, but I would encourage Tesla to go back to the old UI in the interim.
Hmmmm. Reading this, I come to realize that even with no glasses and being over 70, I can read the new UI changes just fine and the changes don't bother me, especially since I know they are just temporary; but yes, for many folks out there, I can understand how these changes are a nuisance. When the ability to change the sizes get realized then hopefully people will be happier.

HAHA: "...no glasses and being over 70..." You're truly the exception to the rule here. I'm barely UNDER 70, with glasses, and have become accustomed to the latest update, with the only complaint being the "power bar", although I've driven enough vehicles that I have a good idea of what's going on with fuel consumption/regeneration.

Reactions: drdumont
The very first thing anyone notices getting into a Tesla is how clean and spartan it is. The huge display(s), very few buttons, and other haptics.

Is that a lot of empty space that can be filled with all sorts of buttons and dials that's gone completely wasted? No. I like this and prefer it to what I now see as clutter. So far, I haven't found any real downsides after >6 months of Tesla ownership.

As someone who has been driving nothing but Teslas since early 2013 I want to say that this unfortunate GUI “update” is the first update that I regret receiving. The big, beautiful maps, already diminished in size from the S now are needlessly tiny while valuable real estate is given over to huge and unnecessary avatars and blank space. The real flaws in the system, many existing from the very beginning have still not been corrected— way too much space given to what you can already see out the front windshield (and now even more wasted real estate!), dime sized buttons that you are supposed to hit safely at freeway speeds (the voice control did help but is still incomplete), too tiny fonts etc.

Side-view mirrors have been around for decades and all Teslas have them. Simply take a glance and see if it's safe to change lanes. No computer or warning system needed. I use autopilot all the time with lane-changing.

A serious GUI update in my opinion would fix the non performing and therefore dangerous lane change warning system and flip the whole avatar display so that you can see what is behind you. Another priority should be to complete the voice control system. For instance, I would like to be able to turn off the air conditioning system compressor without turning off the whole system.

On the positive side, I do like the addition of the one button rear view camera access.

When you do "serious" driving, how much time do you spend looking at your display vs the road and whats coming up?

Or are you referring to releasing a track mode?

Still the best cars in the world but time to ditch the computer game and fart mentality and format the interface for fun and serious driving.

I’m just wondering how many here would rather go back to the prior software version (before the screen changes)? I’m just not sure the most recent updates made anyone really happy. I know they are getting ready for FSD, but why couldn’t they have just waited....rather than leave us with a screen that looks worse (in my opinion) and has lots of empty space and harder-to-see controls.

Other than cracking my kids up for a few days making my car fart at people, that's it. The left side is just too large and empty. Maybe it's helpful for full self driving in the future but how about moving the radio interface there... something I use every day... vs seeing recycle bins and parked cars.

Reactions: wasloan
I’m just wondering how many here would rather go back to the prior software version (before the screen changes)? I’m just not sure the most recent updates made anyone really happy. I know they are getting ready for FSD, but why couldn’t they have just waited....rather than leave us with a screen that looks worse (in my opinion) and has lots of empty space and harder-to-see controls.
Count me in on this.

As someone who has been driving nothing but Teslas since early 2013 I want to say that this unfortunate GUI “update” is the first update that I regret receiving. The big, beautiful maps, already diminished in size from the S now are needlessly tiny while valuable real estate is given over to huge and unnecessary avatars and blank space.

Agree 100%. The back up camera window is now about the size of the window in a Camry (small!). I want a bigger back up camera window - not smaller. And bigger maps. I absolutely do not need a bigger picture of the animated car going down the road. A terrible, terrible update.