Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen froze while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today on way to work had the screen freeze. While driving wasn’t able to access any of the screen functions, the screen basically froze . So I didn’t know what speed I was doing etc ! lasted about twenty mins then it reset itself and worked thereafter. Bit daunting losing all the commands. Anyone else had similar happen?

Today on way to work had the screen freeze. While driving wasn’t able to access any of the screen functions, the screen basically froze . So I didn’t know what speed I was doing etc ! lasted about twenty mins then it reset itself and worked thereafter. Bit daunting losing all the commands. Anyone else had similar happen?

If it happens you must pull over where possible because it’s dangerous and not only that probably makes the car illegal to drive whilst no display is available, completely useless and shouldn’t be happening on a 3 year production car.

I seemed to have this issue when I switched usb sticks but can’t be sure if it was related and still shouldn’t have happened

e. I have also rebooted the screen a couple of ti

And how is it unsafe to reboot while driving? Everything works as normal. The NAV, cruise speed, even the Infotainment does not change.

You cannot tell me that when driving a car that you never go longer than 30 sceonds without looking at the screen. You would be lying

Rebooting does not turn off any safety features...

Do you understand how much redundancy that Tesla has built into these vehicles?

And how is it unsafe to reboot while driving? Everything works as normal. The NAV, cruise speed, even the Infotainment does not change.

You cannot tell me that when driving a car that you never go longer than 30 sceonds without looking at the screen. You would be lying

Rebooting does not turn off any safety features...

Do you understand how much redundancy that Tesla has built into these vehicles?

I do believe the indicators will not work whilst the reboot is happening. As long as you don't need those for the 30 odd seconds.

I do believe the indicators will not work whilst the reboot is happening. As long as you don't need those for the 30 odd seconds.

Probably makes the car illegal to drive on public roads, TBH, given that it's a requirement that the vehicle has both functioning indicators (if fitted) and a functioning speedometer when driven on public roads.

Odd bit of law about indicators. I fitted LED indicators to my home made electric motorcycle. They worked fine, but the lenses didn't have the mandatory E marking, so it failed it's first MoT. The tester suggested I just remove the indicators, as then he'd be able to give the bike a chit. If they aren't fitted by the manufacturer (in this case, me) then there's no requirement to have them, and that means no requirement that they work or have the required markings on the lenses. I refitted the indicators afterwards, which is fine, as the E marking thing is only an MoT requirement. I just have to remember to take them off again before the MoT. . .

Probably makes the car illegal to drive on public roads, TBH, given that it's a requirement that the vehicle has both functioning indicators (if fitted) and a functioning speedometer when driven on public roads.

If a speedo fails mid drive, you can continue that journey. So I do not believe that having the screen fail mid drive is in itself a problem, but judging speed limit might be. The use of the app handsfree may get you out of trouble here.