Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen protectors: matte or not?

What screen protector?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the Spigen EZ Fit Anti-Glare Matte, but really couldn't get on with the loss of clarity which started giving me a bit of eye strain, so I removed it and haven't bothered replacing it with anything else.

Installed the Spigen clear (not matte) and have noticed no difference in clarity or usability.

Only thing is the contraption that promises a precise fit didn't quite achieve that for me, it ended up very slightly off-centre, was intending to contact them about it but haven't really noticed since and had forgotten about it, so it can't be that bad.

_20220422_175838.jpg

I went with clear for our Model 3 and have ordered the same for the pending Model Y. Some will ask why a protector is needed if I am not even changing the finish and went with something invisible. All I can say is that I like the knowledge that the screen is protected, even if the likelihood of needing the protection is negligible.
I like the idea of clear to maintain sharpness. However, there is talk of reflections, which would also affect the unprotected screens.
So, my questions please:
1. Has reflection been an issue for you?
2.Which protector(s) have you chosen?
I rather fancy the Spigen for ease of fixing.
Some decry the use of protectors but I see them an insurance against a low risk event with a commensurately low cost ( premium).
But then, I bought a spare for my BMW and have ordered one for the Y.

I like the idea of clear to maintain sharpness. However, there is talk of reflections, which would also affect the unprotected screens.
So, my questions please:
Some decry the use of protectors but I see them an insurance against a low risk event with a commensurately low cost ( premium).

1. Nope
2. Spigen clear

So, my questions please:
Regarding glare/refections, I installed the protector within days of collecting the car so can't really comment on whether it is the same, better or worse than a screen without protector. But, I imagine the clear protector will be pretty much the same as (if not identical to) the screen without any protector. In daily use, bright days included, we've never have any glare or reflections issues from the screen. From what I've read that may be more of an issue in a white interior Tesla (we have black interiors).

In our Model 3 I bought the HD Clear "Ultra-Premium" one from Abstract Ocean. Can't fault it but it is expensive. For our pending Model Y I bought one from AliExpress. It looks pretty decent but won't know until I have the car and install it.

I know a lot of people think a protector for a fixed screen in a car is unnecessary. To my mind it is cheap peace of mind. These screens collect fingerprints like any tablet device. With repeated cleanings over time, unless you are extremely careful, a screen can pick-up micro scratches. I keep a clean microfibre or eyeglass cleaning cloth in the car and am careful but in a few years I know I can just remove the protector and the screen underneath will be scratch free. And it is always possible that something does strike the screen.

So, my questions please:
Spare space saver wheel that is....
1. Nope
2. Spigen clear
Ta!
Regarding glare/refections, I installed the protector within days of collecting the car so can't really comment on whether it is the same, better or worse than a screen without protector. But, I imagine the clear protector will be pretty much the same as (if not identical to) the screen without any protector. In daily use, bright days included, we've never have any glare or reflections issues from the screen. From what I've read that may be more of an issue in a white interior Tesla (we have black interiors).

In our Model 3 I bought the HD Clear "Ultra-Premium" one from Abstract Ocean. Can't fault it but it is expensive. For our pending Model Y I bought one from AliExpress. It looks pretty decent but won't know until I have the car and install it.

I know a lot of people think a protector for a fixed screen in a car is unnecessary. To my mind it is cheap peace of mind. These screens collect fingerprints like any tablet device. With repeated cleanings over time, unless you are extremely careful, a screen can pick-up micro scratches. I keep a clean microfibre or eyeglass cleaning cloth in the car and am careful but in a few years I know I can just remove the protector and the screen underneath will be scratch free. And it is always possible that something does strike the screen.
I have a Y with white interior on order

so I had better wait to check for reflection before ordering a clear Spigen.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I don't know why everyone is implying the matte cover makes the screen resolution lower? Matte > clear by a long shot here.
On my first M3 (2019) I got an Abstract Ocean matte screen protector and the screen really didn’t appear as sharp after fitting it. When I swapped to a MIC M3 I decided I’d get by without one but 3 days later with finger prints on the screen and irritated from reflections I ordered the Spiegan version - this time I didn’t feel it had the same detrimental impact on the clarity of the screen.

Maybe it’s like Tesla build quality - things have got better but the old reputation still persists. 🤷‍♂️

Full disclosure : I have always had matte screen protectors on my iPhones and iPads and so I’m undoubtedly biased .😀