Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Yellowed, Again?

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
2015 MS. I had the screen replaced for the leak. The new screen borders turned yellow and had the treatment with good outcome. However, I put the screen back to daylight mode yesterday and lo, the yellow border is back. Not as bad as the first time, but it is back nonetheless. Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
....Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?...

It's a display just like a TV or computer screen so if there's contamination to the display, I would demand a fix.

The problem is: Consumer products do run out of warranty after a while so my guess is after a 4-year new car warranty, you might now have to pay for it.

pabla

Oct 17, 2016
Vancouver
2015 MS. I had the screen replaced for the leak. The new screen borders turned yellow and had the treatment with good outcome. However, I put the screen back to daylight mode yesterday and lo, the yellow border is back. Not as bad as the first time, but it is back nonetheless. Is Tesla's "good will" covering this relapse as well while still under warranty?
When was the last time they fixed the screen? Maybe worth a shot to see if they can fix it under good-will since its a pretty quick fix

motocheme

Jun 25, 2019
Murrieta, CA
I was told that they will do the treatment once. Tesla does not consider the yellow border to be a defect or problem with operation, but considers it a cosmetic issue. It is definitely worth asking them I would think.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Assuming you have the extended warranty, take it to arbitration. Not every challenge won but mine did. Only costs a few hours of your time.

It might make more sense for him to contact Tesla and see if they will cover it for free before jumping to arbitration... (I suspect that they will.)

Reactions: KArnold

FatherTo1

Mar 7, 2019
California
I am familiar with the yellow border issue, but what is the actual root cause? A colleague’s 2018 100D developed the yellow border after just 10 months, but my Raven S (May 2019 build date) has not developed the issue yet.

Some reports say cabin heat causes the glue to discolor, but doesn’t Cabin Overheat Protection mitigate this?? Sorry the issue returned for OP. What can others do to avoid or prevent the issue?

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I am familiar with the yellow border issue, but what is the actual root cause? A colleague’s 2018 100D developed the yellow border after just 10 months, but my Raven S (May 2019 build date) has not developed the issue yet.

Some reports say cabin heat causes the glue to discolor, but doesn’t Cabin Overheat Protection mitigate this?? Sorry the issue returned for OP. What can others do to avoid or prevent the issue?

The best we know is that some screens didn't get enough UV curing when they were assembled so the uncured adhesive in the screen yellows over time. (We don't know why but two common theories are that the speed up the manufacturing and didn't allow enough cure time, or the UV lamps were allowed to get too old, and as they age they put out less UV which resulted in partially cured adhesive.)

In other words, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. But a good UV treatment should take care of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: FatherTo1

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
Regarding some of the responses, the car is still under the warranty.

I was thinking about making a stink about it as it got closer to the end of the warranty, which still has a bit to go.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Regarding some of the responses, the car is still under the warranty.

I was thinking about making a stink about it as it got closer to the end of the warranty, which still has a bit to go.
They're not gonna fight you. The UV treatment is standard fare now.

Tim-in-CA

Apr 23, 2018
SoCal
I was told that they will only do the UV fix once. I already had my screen replaced about 1.5 yrs ago and it came back within a year. Mind you, my car has essentially been parked in the garage almost 24/7 for an entire year! I suppose I'll wait just until the 4 year warranty ends to have the UV fix. Keeping the screen on night mode definitely helps make the border less noticeable.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Are the displays they put in for the infotainment upgrade (which are provided to fix the eMMC issue too) subject to the yellowing too? Or is it too early to tell?

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Do they have to replace the display for the eMMC fix? I thought they just replace the chipset or daughter board.

Tesla does not replace the screen for the eMMC replacement
It's an option if you pay $1500 for Ap1 or $2000 for AP2 (needing HW3). It's really the infotainment upgrade but a lot of people having the eMMC issue are opting to go that direction because you supposedly get a MCU2 and both displays replaced, if I understand correctly.

My question would be then if they do replace the displays are you just getting another one that will have problems like yellowing or will you be getting a set that will not yellow?

FatherTo1

Mar 7, 2019
California
It's an option if you pay $1500 for Ap1 or $2000 for AP2 (needing HW3). It's really the infotainment upgrade but a lot of people having the eMMC issue are opting to go that direction because you supposedly get a MCU2 and both displays replaced, if I understand correctly.

My question would be then if they do replace the displays are you just getting another one that will have problems like yellowing or will you be getting a set that will not yellow?
That is really hard to answer. It all depends if you’re getting MCU2 display from a batch that didn’t cure the adhesive long enough. I would hope the MCU2 upgrades are from newer stock that has been assembled with “best practices”.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
IIRC correctly, Tesla now declares the screen as a consumable, like wipers, tires, or brakes. Even when I took my (then) less than a year old Model S with yellow screen, they told me it's normal and not covered under warranty.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC