Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seal for Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, lack of engine noise is very quiet, but I personally find the noise at highway speed to be excessive. Not sure if it is "wind noise" or "tire / road noise" coming up through the chasis, etc, but I definitely find it noisy.

Also, the sills do get very dirty. A relatively cheap "fix" (although the results from what I have read seem to be pretty inconclusive).

Has anyone tried these seals and seen positive results in reducing cabin noise?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4YS3SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is probably the most extensive thread on the topic of this mod
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/reducing-noise-and-keeping-the-door-sills-clean.141218

Looks like someone bought bulk and cut them to length, repacked and marked the price up a bit (nothing wrong with that).

I bought the RPM Tesla wind noise gasket (more to prevent ice from freezing in that channel than for noise).
I also bought the "original" Z and P strips. I only installed the Z so far.
I'm concerned the P stuff (which compresses when door shuts) will make the doors harder to shut.
There was one comment in one of the threads that said it most certainly makes the rear doors harder to shut.

It's VERY hard to measure.

I'm concerned with how long the Z strips will stay put, because there "sealing action" is to "lift" the gasket away from what it's stuck to.
The P strips "sealing action is to "compress" towards what it's stuck to and will probably stay put, but you will feel that extra compression if it's installed right.

I have a hunch, that if this "mod" does indeed help on noise (great Video shows it does at high speeds) that the Vertical Z strips on front and back of drivers door would be the most critical (because those two gaps are closest to your ears). All the "P" strips go on the bottom of the doors or way back at the rear edge of the rear door.

That's why I did just the Z strips. Most bang for the buck and no negatives (other than they might not stay put).

Regarding this kit, I wish it showed what style of gaskets they use and if it's genuine 3M tape.

I find the Model 3 quite noisy as well, but I have my doubts whether sealing the outer door gaps will do much if anything. The most annoying noise (when driving on a rough surface) is obviously transmitted through the suspension, sometimes even creating a loud resonance in the car. A lot of that noise seems to be coming through the trunk vent (try driving with a rear seat down, even louder). Also, I'd be careful when sealing the gap at the bottom of the door since it might prevent water from draining when driving through rain.

I installed the P and J channels to my car.

Its by far the best mod I have made.

The doors now sound like a Cadillac when they close.

And more importantly - The car is much much much more quiet on the road.

Thank you! That's all I needed to read. You actually made me laugh out loud - the door-closing sound is one thing I miss from driving an actual Cadillac.... A few other software things too, but the solid feel closing a door - yeah. I miss that. :)

A lot of that noise seems to be coming through the trunk vent (try driving with a rear seat down, even louder).

Has anyone sealed off the trunk vent? I often keep golf clubs in the trunk and can hear them banging around through the vent. I don't understand the point of the vent - it's like having the drawbacks of a hatchback without the benefit of extra storage.

Has anyone sealed off the trunk vent? I often keep golf clubs in the trunk and can hear them banging around through the vent. I don't understand the point of the vent - it's like having the drawbacks of a hatchback without the benefit of extra storage.
It's likely being used as exit vent for the HVAC system (there are exhaust vents in the trunk), possibly also as a sound duct for the subwoofer and to make closing doors and trunk lid easier (pressure equalization).