Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats starting to crack after 2 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anybody else experiencing cracks like this? I've had the car for 2 months now. Any tips on how to fix this and prevent it from getting worse are appreciated.
20190218_083652.jpg

Those are wrinkles and it’s normal wear & tear. The leather like skin is softer and it’s white so it’s more noticeable. You can try using high quality leather conditioner to slow down the process.

I have black interior and I still avoid hitting that spot when entering and exiting my car. You can see this wrinkle on many cars with leather. It’s just from stress of getting in and out of the car.

Reactions: Bobbo8 and Raechris
Is anybody else experiencing cracks like this? I've had the car for 2 months now. Any tips on how to fix this and prevent it from getting worse are appreciated.View attachment 379094
Condition seat. Cleaners, wipes, etc dehydrate the seat. A conditioner should be used at regular intervals and post cleaner. One technique is to massage conditioner in. In warmer weather the car can be put in sun and let the heat warm up the interior and the seats will soak up the conditioner. I use Leatherique two part system.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
Condition seat. Cleaners, wipes, etc dehydrate the seat. A conditioner should be used at regular intervals and post cleaner. One technique is to massage conditioner in. In warmer weather the car can be put in sun and let the heat warm up the interior and the seats will soak up the conditioner. I use Leatherique two part system.
I don't think that's going to do much for this kind of wear, the seats are not leather and are not dried out.

Reactions: Mr X and aspec818
Is anybody else experiencing cracks like this? I've had the car for 2 months now. Any tips on how to fix this and prevent it from getting worse are appreciated.View attachment 379094

Mine look exactly the same, and after less than two months. But is this really "cracks" or just dirt from dark trousers? I haven't tried to clean them yet actually, but I can admit that I constantly drive with dark blue or black jeans, so that might be a reason in my case.

Last edited:
The seat material has a texture to it just like leather would. The seats aren't a solid surface material. A "crack" IMO would be a split in the material. I can't say from the photos that any of those look like a split, and in @iTepo's photos to me just looks like dirt of some kind has settled into the textured area. If car seats aren't cleaned periodically you can expect to see some coloration like in the photos. Is this the first time people are actually taking a look at their car seats to notice normal wear, and maybe looking harder at their Model 3 since the car might be the most expensive car they've ordered?

Here is mine before and after. The color transfer builds up after a few months.

I did not spend any time on it, and used this cleaner someone here recommended (it’s not supposed to be harsh - don’t want it to remove any coating that may exist). It seems fine.
Just a few sprays and a few wipes with a microfiber. Good enough for me. With a little more spray might even get it cleaner.

Before
F03B8F94-EF01-42F1-AF9A-BABE527C8588.jpeg

After
7CAB864E-6BAD-41B7-80BD-241FB18C6B0F.jpeg

070D03D4-7796-410F-8466-790292B4D829.jpeg

Attachments

• C0BFC341-788A-4882-AC03-C3E9B694A500.jpeg
    C0BFC341-788A-4882-AC03-C3E9B694A500.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 322
  • Informative
Hmm i’d be hesitant to that Chemical Guys Total Interior on the seats. I know it says you can use on leather/vinyl but anything that can be used on glass has to have a good amount of cleaning and drying agents in it (alcohol). Would be more inclined to use something like Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care which cleans and conditions everything except glass, also has a nice smell to it. I use it on tires too and gives them a darker matte finish.

Hmm i’d be hesitant to that Chemical Guys Total Interior on the seats. I know it says you can use on leather/vinyl but anything that can be used on glass has to have a good amount of cleaning and drying agents in it (alcohol). Would be more inclined to use something like Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care which cleans and conditions everything except glass, also has a nice smell to it. I use it on tires too and gives them a darker matte finish.

Hmm. Everyone has a different opinion I guess. I can’t remember where I read about the Chemical Guys stuff. It seemed super mild though - did not take the color transfer right off, took some time. And I did not smell alcohol, though perhaps it has some. I’m not sure I would try to use it on glass...had not even really paid attention to that feature.

Yours seems like a good suggestion though. Does it leave a residue at all?

Zymol makes good stuff. As for the Autoglym vinyl and rubber care, I had yet to use it on the seats (car is only 3 weeks old), so I just tried it out now on the door arm rests and and the two front seats and it gives my black seats a richer look but does not leave any sort of residue or that greasy/slippery feel you can get with leather conditioners. Bonus is that you can use it on the dash and any other interior trim pieces as it leaves a low sheen finish. Good all round cleaner/conditioner.

Hmm. Everyone has a different opinion I guess. I can’t remember where I read about the Chemical Guys stuff. It seemed super mild though - did not take the color transfer right off, took some time. And I did not smell alcohol, though perhaps it has some. I’m not sure I would try to use it on glass...had not even really paid attention to that feature.

Yours seems like a good suggestion though. Does it leave a residue at all?

If it has alcohol in your even better off, recommended cleaner for the white seats is rubbing alcohol. Remember these white seats aren’t leather, it’s a vegan material. I wouldn’t use rubbing alcohol everyday but only for stubborn stains. Daily I use baby wipes and they work well.

If it has alcohol in your even better off, recommended cleaner for the white seats is rubbing alcohol. Remember these white seats aren’t leather, it’s a vegan material. I wouldn’t use rubbing alcohol everyday but only for stubborn stains. Daily I use baby wipes and they work well.

I've heard this and I think I even saw a link to the seat material at some point on this forum, but at this point I don't know what to believe and I figure the mildest substance which will eliminate the problem is probably good. Baby wipes seem like a good candidate. We have tons of those, I'll try them next time to see if they are as effective. And can save that Chemical Guys stuff for the plastics, etc. It has UV blockers in it, which seems good for all those other surfaces.