Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Secret Sauce" power upgrade coming - beyond Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current P85D was a loaner vehicle (first registered May 2015) at a service center for about half a year before I bought it (December 2015). In February 2016 I was able to schedule the Ludi upgrade (for March 2016) with no questions asked.
Maybe I just slipped through, don't know... But I am a very happy P85DL owner now :)

There's a reason they call you LuckyLuke! :)

• Funny
Reactions: LuckyLuke
I'm not sure that the video coming down means Tesla was pissed.

At least two, maybe three, possible explanations for why it was taken down:

1) The whole thing was a prank and wk057 revealed that it must be a prank and not true, so since the deception couldn't be maintained they took it down, along with the debunking comments.

2) There is some truth to this, and there was some further additional mode (which is consistent with other things that I have read about even Ludi cars still being detuned/not-utilizing-their true capabilities). This guy was a friendly beta-tester or possibly hacker who found that mode. And Tesla either because of an NDA or some other threats, requested/demanded that they take it down.

3) Or possibly a hybrid of the two above: there is some untapped capability beyond Ludi. But these guys didn't have it -- they just bluffed and pretended that they did. And that still drew Tesla's attention although then I don't see how Tesla would have incentivized them to take it down. They could have realized there was no more fun to be had.

Last edited:
I don't think there was any in-between. It was fake. Was the driver in on it? Maybe not. Maybe it was just placebo for him. Was the beta tester in on it? Perhaps or perhaps not. Maybe there is a special mode that pulls more than 1500 amps and that the smart fuse really is more than 1500 amps if the car decides to draw that power. In either case, this car wasn't so it was either a hoax or he entered the code wrong and throught he was in this special mode.

But the KW snapshot showing the maximum KW reading at maximum acceleration on a nearly fully charged battery which isn't as high as my KW meter shows when supercharged to 90% proves this car wasn't running extra power.

Reactions: M0DEL³
I don't think there was any in-between. It was fake. Was the driver in on it? Maybe not. Maybe it was just placebo for him. Was the beta tester in on it? Perhaps or perhaps not. Maybe there is a special mode that pulls more than 1500 amps and that the smart fuse really is more than 1500 amps if the car decides to draw that power. In either case, this car wasn't so it was either a hoax or he entered the code wrong and throught he was in this special mode.

But the KW snapshot showing the maximum KW reading at maximum acceleration on a nearly fully charged battery which isn't as high as my KW meter shows when supercharged to 90% proves this car wasn't running extra power.
Damn you and your logic/math/science! I'm still downloading my update tonight with a dash of hope that it will reveal untold goodness, if for no other reason that it makes me happy. :)

I don't think there was any in-between. It was fake. Was the driver in on it? Maybe not. Maybe it was just placebo for him. Was the beta tester in on it? Perhaps or perhaps not.

You're forgetting the part of the video where the driver asks the other guy about traction control, and the other guy supposedly just disables it, and then a few seconds later pretty much instantly enables it again. While it may have been possible for Jason to have been able to disable and enable traction control on his hacked car, I don't know of too many other people who actually had their cars hacked, the display did not look hacked, and on top of all that, I wouldn't imagine, even if that car was hacked, the switching between traction control on and off would be as fast as it appeared to be in that video.

My point? It was a hoax that they were both in on.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Seems odd for a guy with 650k+ subscribers on YouTube to purposefully be making hoax videos, especially since it didn't post on April 1. He's not exactly hurting for subs, and making fake videos isn't going to gain him new fans.

Although the whole thing is still fishy, a small part of me hopes that it's still coming, and tesla just asked him to take it down. After all, the ludicrous upgrade still says 10.9 quarter mile...

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
I have been following him for a long time and i think its unlikely that they did a hoax like this, like you say he have way to many viewers to need anything like this. My guess is that his friend just broke some NDA and Tesla called him.

I guess time will show.

I have been following him for a long time and i think its unlikely that they did a hoax like this, like you say he have way to many viewers to need anything like this. My guess is that his friend just broke some NDA and Tesla called him.

I guess time will show.

The only thing we know for sure is that MS wasn't putting out more than normal Ludicrous power. Who knows what who knew and whether placebo, intentions, or simply mistakes played a part in the video.

This twitter account now says

"I have been advised to make no comments at this time. - Adam Schmidt (@KevlarCondom)"

Sounds like he did break some NDA...

...or it's just the next scene in the show. Hate to say it, but I know Tesla is absolute in its clarity about NDA's, and if it is an NDA he broke, then he did it willfully, negligently, and bordering on maliciously. Very few people are that stupid.

The "use a code to enable" hasn't been Tesla's MO, either, based on what we've seen from other early releases.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to one of his earlier tweets that specify 0-60 in 2.4s. This tweet is now deleted. Maybe it's just a show, but then why would he go and clean up like that now?

So with the latest firmware various people have noted that if you have a PxxD you can press and hold the T, enter performance as the password, and a menu appears allowing you to get your car to emulate lower performance models. This is apparently used by sales centers to give test drives where people can see what the different models feel like.

On mine (software update completed earlier) there are 70, 90, 70D, 90D, P90D, and Max options. The menu is a bit buggy (whenever you open it it says 70 and you have to selec another option and then go back to the one you want to be sure you've enabled it).

I suspect it's confirmation bias, but I swear that "max" feels even more aggressive and quicker than my car normally does.

Guess we need someone like @wk057 to enable this mode with logging and see what it does to the drivetrain, but it's possible that this is what MotorTrend were given for example.