Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

security for public charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since all of the chargepoints are activated by a card and it knows how to communicate with you, they could put a webcam into the unit, and make the video stream only accessible to whoever is currently charging. That way you could watch and see who is around your car.

large.jpg

Not all J1772 plugs have the hole for the small lock.
Also, those luggage locks aren't very secure. You could probably pop open many of them with a screwdriver.
(But it is a good deterrent to keep curious people from casually unplugging it which probably covers 90%+ of the concern.)

Ok, I promised a device to secure your charging cable. Photos of my prototype are available HERE.

Since this if my first run at getting a patent, and this is our first prototype I would appreciate comments before we produce this in numbers.

The final version will have three slots: 1. HPC 2. UMC 3. Spare 110v connector. We plan to make it in injected Red plastic for Tesla owners with a Tesla logo with their permission.

This device will provide security for your charging cable while charging unattended, and provide security from someone unplugging you prematurely with a public cord. It can be placed either behind the tire or lateral to it with equal security. Lateral seems to be easier to use.

Last edited:
My 2 cents

rather than have the underside of the cable rest against the road surface, could you have an all-in-one clamshell design with an integral hinge (polypropylene for durability?). So you fold the thing around the cable and then wedge it under the wheel / drive over it.

I suppose if it includes snap fits to lock it together, you could just leave it on the cable. It's not like the distance between the charge port and the wheel is gonna change (unless Tesla have the foresight to allow the same cable to be used on the Model S :)

ETA: you may want to look at branding for different EV manufacturers. Tesla and Nissan are the most obvious, but this has the potential to appeal to all plug-in varieties. No pressure :)

Last edited:
My 2 cents

rather than have the underside of the cable rest against the road surface, could you have an all-in-one clamshell design with an integral hinge (polypropylene for durability?). So you fold the thing around the cable and then wedge it under the wheel / drive over it.

I suppose if it includes snap fits to lock it together, you could just leave it on the cable. It's not like the distance between the charge port and the wheel is gonna change (unless Tesla have the foresight to allow the same cable to be used on the Model S :)

ETA: you may want to look at branding for different EV manufacturers. Tesla and Nissan are the most obvious, but this has the potential to appeal to all plug-in varieties. No pressure :)

We wanted to make it easy to use for both your own cables, or public cables. This will not damage your cables. It puts just enough pressure on them to keep them from sliding through. The clamshell idea is interesting but more complex, and you have the potential to leave it on a public cable.

Interesting: The Santanna Row store wanted a couple initially also. They have been having a problem with Tesla owners unplugging their demo cars at night while at dinner, then their demo cars are not charged for their first test drive in the am.

I am considering taking pre-orders, but in reality we are likely several months from getting numbers of these and being ready to ship. I will post some pre-order information when we get closer.

I feel bad about putting up an alternative to Lloyd's idea, but here's one I put together today for under $25, no work involved and no driving the car back and forth over something on the floor. It takes up minimal space in the trunk and works with the UMC, the mobile charger and the J1772 adaptor.

I bought a 2.5" lock which has a 1.25" gap inside the loop. This is stainless steel from Lowes cost $16.89.
Sarasota-20110720-00037.jpg

At the same time I bought a 3/8" steel cable, also from Lowes for $7.97. They have different lengths, the 7' one is ideal.
Sarasota-20110720-00038.jpg

I just put the steel cable around the wheel on the ground; no threading through holes necessary, no positioning of pieces on the ground and driving the car over it. Then attach to the lock and loop it round the charge cable.
Sarasota-20110720-00039.jpg

Pop the key onto the same ring as my ignition key. Presto!
Sarasota-20110720-00040.jpg

Close-up
Sarasota-20110720-00041.jpg

Last edited: