Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

See CTs turning radius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if it will have an on/off switch? There maybe situations where you may not want the rear wheels to steer. If it is automatic hopefully it will have a built in smart sensor for when you are turning with a Trailer to limit how far the rear wheels turn. If the rear wheels turn too far while turning with a trailer you could cause damage to the Trailer.

Wonder if it will have an on/off switch? There maybe situations where you may not want the rear wheels to steer. If it is automatic hopefully it will have a built in smart sensor for when you are turning with a Trailer to limit how far the rear wheels turn. If the rear wheels turn too far while turning with a trailer you could cause damage to the Trailer.
Hopefully Tesla will learn from GM's Quadrasteer system. Here's a brief description:
Above 45 mph the rear wheels moved in phase with the fronts by as much as 5 degrees in order to improve stability on the highway, with a small zone of zero movement as one approached the 45 mph point and the computer controller switched over from its counter-steer programming. There was also a 'Towing' mode that restricted low speed rear-wheel steering to 12 degrees to prevent drivers from accidentally nosing-in to their own trailers. It was also possible to turn the system off completely.
From: Why Did GM's Excellent Quadrasteer Full-Size Pickup Four-Wheel Steering System Simply Disappear?

What does the underlined mean? What is the scenario? Picture below just for some visual references of cornering.

tips11.jpg

Not sure why it is underlined. I'm interested in how the system works. Will it have a tow mode to where the Truck will automatically know how far to turn the rear wheels while towing at low speed around corners? You are pulling out of a tight parking space will the Truck automatically know to start turning the rear wheels after the truck is out of the parking spot or limit the angle of turn so you don't hit the vehicle next to you?

Not sure why it is underlined. I'm interested in how the system works. Will it have a tow mode to where the Truck will automatically know how far to turn the rear wheels while towing at low speed around corners? You are pulling out of a tight parking space will the Truck automatically know to start turning the rear wheels after the truck is out of the parking spot or limit the angle of turn so you don't hit the vehicle next to you?
My confusion was you said the rear wheels turning would cause a problem with a towing a trailer so I was trying to understand the scenario that you had in mind when you said this: "... Trailer to limit how far the rear wheels turn. If the rear wheels turn too far ..."

You don't want the rear wheels to turn too much while towing. Picture is of a Chevy with Quadsteer. Just as you wouldn't turn super sharp while towing. without it. Quad rear steering angle needs to be limited when pulling out of parking spots with cars on either side so you don't hit the cars to the side of you. I'm interested in knowing what the steering angle limitations are and at what speeds
quadra4.jpg

Imagine you are parked in between two vehicles you do not want the vehicle to do this with rear wheel steer

You don't want the rear wheels to turn too much while towing. Picture is of a Chevy with Quadsteer. Just as you wouldn't turn super sharp while towing. without it. Quad rear steering angle needs to be limited when pulling out of parking spots with cars on either side so you don't hit the cars to the side of you. I'm interested in knowing what the steering angle limitations are and at what speeds

Imagine you are parked in between two vehicles you do not want the vehicle to do this with rear wheel steer
Curious. I thought it was well understood that at low speeds the front and rear wheels would turn opposite but at higher speeds they turn in 'parallel'. I thought this was already on many cars in the past and that is how they all worked (ie. YT videos [1st vid below] and other articles I saw). Example picture from the first image I saw after doing a quick search. The YT below actually has some nice visuals that (to me) seem like the slow speed turns like the below pict (opposite) would be advantageous.

B7cFwyY.jpg

Last edited: