Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning radius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also drive an XC40, which is even larger than the Y, but that turns like a startled cat compared to the Tesla.
Did you mean the XC60? The XC40 should be about a foot shorter than the MY. We have the C40, which is the same thing as the XC40 except for the fastback, and it's shorter than the MY. As I've posted previously, the C40 turns like a forklift (i.e. on a dime) compared to the MY.

I also find myself having to work harder than I expect to get into parking spaces. I had attributed it to how much larger this car is than my last car (VW eGolf) but maybe it’s not me…
Nah, it is bigger l, obviously (my last car was a Golf too) but it’s the turning radius that makes it feel cumbersome.

Reactions: mborkow
Did you mean the XC60? The XC40 should be about a foot shorter than the MY. We have the C40, which is the same thing as the XC40 except for the fastback, and it's shorter than the MY. As I've posted previously, the C40 turns like a forklift (i.e. on a dime) compared to the MY.
Apologies, I meant the XC90. It’s a massive cube of a vehicle but far more nimble than the Y.

Yes the MY has a pretty terrible turning circle. Our driveway/parking space is very tight. In our old car (which has about the same size) it was a 3 point turn. With the MY it is a 5 point turn! Like others, I would love to have 4 wheel steering...

As well as the poor turning circle, with both the 3 and the Y, on tight European corners you also have to watch out for the back wheels that cut in tighter than the front ones – so easy to kerb them...

Our 2021 Tacoma that is likely being replaced with a MYLR is 40.4’ diameter, my 2021 2 door Bronco is 33’ diameter, my work truck is 44.6’. At least the Y will be tighter than the Tacoma, but with the 113.8” wheelbase I’m surprised it doesn’t turn tighter.