Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seems like FSD is a complete crock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s considered “Beta” as released.... beware, there are many FSD zealots out there so expect to be shamed for sharing your view that is anything other than glowing about FSD. I paid $6000 for it and wish I could undo that spend. Someday, something reliable may be delivered. I should have waited and paid the premium (at that time) if something actually gets released and is reliable.

Last edited:
FSD is a promise more than a feature right now.

We still haven't seen a neural net developed for the AP3 chip in the wild - the AP3 cars are running a version of the smaller AP2.5 NNs now. So it's hard to draw any real conclusions about what Tesla will be able to do with it based on what's been released.

In the next few months we should see the arrival of the software Tesla's been working towards for several years, now that the hardware to support it is finally available. Then we'll know whether it's an overreach or not.

Reactions: neroden
FSD isn't even available in BETA yet. We only get to play with Beta Autopilot. Tesla Autopilot (AP or EAP) is really just adaptive cruise control with lane keep assist. There are a few other features such as lane changes thrown in there, but in my opinion they really are "beta" and should be very closely monitored, as opposed to simply monitored as with the adaptive cruise control and lake keep assist.

FSD isn't even available in BETA yet. We only get to play with Beta Autopilot. Tesla Autopilot (AP or EAP) is really just adaptive cruise control with lane keep assist. There are a few other features such as lane changes thrown in there, but in my opinion they really are "beta" and should be very closely monitored, as opposed to simply monitored as with the adaptive cruise control and lake keep assist.

I was giving NoA the FSD "Beta" benefit of doubt, but I can easily agree with you as well! ;)

Based on the other threads here it seems like FSD is a complete lie. Crazy unexpected braking, can’t autopark, wanders over the road towards the center line, runs straight into stationary objects be it a simple traffic barrel or the side of a tractor trailer.

Am I getting the wrong impression here?

Yes, you are getting the wrong impression. I use AP daily and I do not experience any of the issues you mention. I used to experience some phantom braking some months ago but not anymore, auto park works perfectly every time, lane centering used to be good but sometimes a bit wobbly especially when the lane widens, now it is essentially perfect and AP has not steered me into stationary objects. In fact, on the roads that I drive daily, AP is good enough to be hands free (of course I still pay attention). There are just a couple roads that AP is not really designed for yet where AP will sometimes freak out and ask me to take over.

NOA has been quite excellent too. On a long trip, it made the drive very convenient. It had some issues on cloverfield ramps and busy traffic but on open highways, it was wonderful.

Now I realize my experience is different from others. But that is my true experience on 2019.24.4.

Based on my personal experience, I am optimistic about FSD. After all, the current AP is not even the latest AP3 NN yet. Once we get the AP3 NN and the new features like "City NOA" and "Traffic Light Detection", I suspect we will have something really good, maybe not quite full autonomous yet but certainly something that with further validation could eventually get there.

I can’t speak to FSD (actually no one can, because it does not really exist even in Beta, as noted above, all we have are AP and EAP) - but at least with respect to the feature set of EAP (keeping you in your lane, NoA lane changes, parking etc) it has been fantastic for me.
I just completed a 1,200 km round trip to Pa, and then a day trip yesterday to and from Niagara Falls. I personally don’t use it on a 2 lane highway and I keep an extra close eye in construction, but for “typical” highway driving and stop and go traffic I find it extremely well suited for what it is intended to achieve (at this point.) Yes, there is the occasional phantom braking (although I did not notice it at all on my last 2 trips, both of which were on 24.4), and it plays a little conservative on merging traffic. But it absolutely made these long highway drives infinitely more enjoyable, less tiring, and it my view safer (especially when it comes to a car in front of you rapidly decelerating).

My $.02

Based on the other threads here it seems like FSD is a complete lie. Crazy unexpected braking, can’t autopark, wanders over the road towards the center line, runs straight into stationary objects be it a simple traffic barrel or the side of a tractor trailer.

Am I getting the wrong impression here?

You're definitely getting the wrong impression. Full Self-Driving is not available yet. All we have now is beta Autopilot with some extra feature packages like Navigate On Autopilot tacked on. You may have paid for FSD like many of us did, but that doesn't mean it's here yet.

Yes, you are getting the wrong impression. I use AP daily and I do not experience any of the issues you mention. I used to experience some phantom braking some months ago but not anymore, auto park works perfectly every time, lane centering used to be good but sometimes a bit wobbly especially when the lane widens, now it is essentially perfect and AP has not steered me into stationary objects. In fact, on the roads that I drive daily, AP is good enough to be hands free (of course I still pay attention). There are just a couple roads that AP is not really designed for yet where AP will sometimes freak out and ask me to take over.

NOA has been quite excellent too. On a long trip, it made the drive very convenient. It had some issues on cloverfield ramps and busy traffic but on open highways, it was wonderful.

Now I realize my experience is different from others. But that is my true experience on 2019.24.4.

Based on my personal experience, I am optimistic about FSD. After all, the current AP is not even the latest AP3 NN yet. Once we get the AP3 NN and the new features like "City NOA" and "Traffic Light Detection", I suspect we will have something really good, maybe not quite full autonomous yet but certainly something that with further validation could eventually get there.

You seem to be the only guy really singing its praises. And you do post very often. Thank you for that. Most everybody else is a lot less positive on it.

Does the car even autopark?

Does adaptive cruise control work well or phantom break a lot?

I don’t care much about the car. I have cars. I want the tech Elon is selling. I think he’s duped me into wanting this thing.

The current version of Autopark is based on the ultrasonci sensors, not the FSD cameras. IT works about as well as Autopark on other cars.

Enhanced Summon will have vastly better parking lot maneuvering to come to you, so I wouldn't be surprised if it includes an updated Autopark with it.

The Adaptive Cruise is solid. 24.4 has reduced the amount that it panics when a car it's overtaking drifts within the lane, but that still happens. Phantom braking not related to overtaking I've only had happen a couple times in my 9k of AP3 driving. 24.4 also greatly reduced the aggressive centering during a merge that was my biggest complaint about 20.3 and 20.4.

I feel like TACC got a little more nervous in 24.4 - I've noticed little surging when following a car going slower than the set speed that I don't remember having before, not sure if it's mimicking their behavior or trying to match a distance reading that's jumping around a bit. It's a mild annoyance that I'm sure will get tuned back out in a future update.

• Informative
Reactions: liuping
You seem to be the only guy really singing its praises. And you do post very often. Thank you for that. Most everybody else is a lot less positive on it.

Well, keep in mind that forums tend to be biased towards the negative because people with a problem will post more frequently than people with positive experiences. After all, how many people who have a perfectly good AP experience bother to post every day about it? They don't because a good AP experience is expected. But people will post every time they have a negative AP experience because it is not expected. it's like posts about quality issues. People don't post every day to say that their car is still wonderful. But people do post about paint defects etc...

Does the car even autopark?

Yes.

Does adaptive cruise control work well or phantom break a lot?

It has fluctuated back and forth in previous updates. There were some updates months ago where it was very abrupt in the braking or did not brake early enough. I used to have some phantom braking. But the recent updates have made TACC very good now in my personal experience. When approaching a stopped car at a red light, TACC will now brake very early and coast smoothly to a stop. I love it. And I rarely get phantom braking. I think Tesla has finally found that sweet spot now.

Reactions: MaryAnning3

Yes, certain people troll all threads that talk about FSD. Anyone who doesn't sing Elon's or FSD's praises gets a post (or two, or three, or more). This is why in my first post to the OP, I said - "beware, there are many FSD zealots out there so expect to be shamed for sharing your view that is anything other than glowing about FSD."

Edit: And to those certain people TMC members are biased negative, that's simply not true - the vast majority that I've run into tend to be more unbiased and just seeking information.

Last edited:
Unreleased software on new hardware that most cars do not have is hard to critique.

No customer cars have FSD yet. At all.

Regular autopilot does 90% of my driving and, by and large, is an absolute godsend for reducing stress and fatigue during my miserable commute and during long road trips.

I have not fallen asleep while the car was entering a construction zone so I can’t speak to whether or not it reacts to construction barrels.

I've had mixed results with it so far. For me, I feel like it's teetering on the cusp of having a large update that will gain a lot more trust with its users. I've had enough hiccups to where I have to immediately regain control followed by, "Whoah, what the hell?" Tesla's name has an odd buzz about it, where just hearing about someone owning one gets them to turn their heads. I think much of it is hyped up via little nuggets of intrigue like, for example, moving your car remotely via 'Summon'. Super neat and fun to do, and impresses anyone that watches it happen. But its real-world practicality is limited to...well, 1) impressing those that are oogling about it; and 2) keeping you in anticipation for that next big upgrade that isn't Dune Buggy Racer 2, lol. We all know they're working on it, so fingers crossed that they lead the way rather than announce its arrival when it's already become mainstream from other manufacturers. I do admire his vision though, with part of my buying decision based in an effort to support that.

Unreleased software on new hardware that most cars do not have is hard to critique.

No customer cars have FSD yet. At all.

Regular autopilot does 90% of my driving and, by and large, is an absolute godsend for reducing stress and fatigue during my miserable commute and during long road trips.

I have not fallen asleep while the car was entering a construction zone so I can’t speak to whether or not it reacts to construction barrels.

Confirm it recognizes construction zones and heavy weather and turns off NoA for that period of the drive. Turns it back on automatically later.

Yes, certain people troll all threads that talk about FSD. Anyone who doesn't sing Elon's or FSD's praises gets a post (or two, or three, or more). This is why in my first post to the OP, I said - "beware, there are many FSD zealots out there so expect to be shamed for sharing your view that is anything other than glowing about FSD."

Edit: And to those certain people TMC members are biased negative, that's simply not true - the vast majority that I've run into tend to be more unbiased and just seeking information.

Disagree. He did give a positive review for AP and NOA, but the keyword is that he said it is HIS experience. Others may have negative experiences depending on various factors. I don't think he was shaming anyone or blanketing a glowing review of AP/FSD for everyone.

Well, keep in mind that forums tend to be biased towards the negative because people with a problem will post more frequently than people with positive experiences. After all, how many people who have a perfectly good AP experience bother to post every day about it? They don't because a good AP experience is expected. But people will post every time they have a negative AP experience because it is not expected. it's like posts about quality issues. People don't post every day to say that their car is still wonderful. But people do post about paint defects etc...
Well put.

To help the OP with some other potential concerns:
- My car charges perfectly every time I plug it in at night.
- My car daily successfully "starts" (engages in reverse to get out of my driveway, shifts into drive and gets me to work). This was not always true for my previous ICE vehicles.
- My car never has "unusual" or "usual" smells. This was not true for my previous ICE vehicles.
- My car never has this weird shudder when accelerating from 0-80mph. My previous ICE vehicles would do it at least 2-3 times for each such acceleration.
- My car never has a weird shudder decelerating either. Not true for my ICE vehicles.
- My car never leaves weird chemicals on the floor of my garage. Not true for contractors parking their ICE vehicles in my driveway for the day. :(

You get the drift. People don't tend to talk a lot when stuff just works and isn't annoying.

FSD isn't even available in BETA yet.
“Well, we already have Full Self-Driving capability on highways. So from highway on-ramp to highway exiting, including passing cars and going from one highway interchange to another, Full Self-Driving capability is there. In a few weeks, we’ll be pushing an update that will allow the option of removing stalk confirm (for Navigate on Autopilot) in markets where regulators will approve it, which would be the case in the US, for example."
Elon Musk

It's definitely beta though!

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones