Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was brainstorming options for this and I thought of this:

Peel and Stick Laminate - Clear | Duck® Brand

It is a giant sheet of peel and stick clear duct tape, essentially.

What if you just cut a 19" circle and stuck it on the face of the rim? I know that it would not last for a really long time, but maybe for just one use or for a road trip.

One problem is that the area that is not in contact with the rim would be sticky and gather crud, but probably not more than a dusting.

There is no danger associated with them falling off or failing, other than litter.

The wind forces are way to strong for that solution. In my experience, there is quite some pressure from the air and also think about the fact that the wheels are following the road's every little bump. So there is also some serious vibration going on.

Quick update. After driving with them for several thousand miles I was able to see a noticeable difference in energy usage. I never had the time to do a controlled test. I tried but it isn't easy to do two identical test runs with and without the disks to be able to measure the actual difference very accurately. But on the other hand, covered wheels aren't a new concept and many tests have been done before. There is a lot of data out there indicating the difference at highway speeds is between 4-6%.
I decided to take them off and have a professional company manufacture new ones for me including a better mounting system. Hopefully one that allows the disks to be removed quickly. That was the biggest drawback of my solution. I will update when I have the new disks installed.

Last edited:
Quick update. After driving with them for several thousand miles I was able to see a noticeable difference in energy usage. I never had the time to do a controlled test. I tried but it isn't easy to do two identical test runs with and without the disks to be able to measure the actual difference very accurately. But on the other hand, covered wheels aren't a new concept and many tests have been done before. There is a lot of data out there indicating the difference at highway speeds is between 4-6%.
I decided to take them off and have a professional company manufacture new ones for me including a better mounting system. Hopefully one that allows the disks to be removed quickly. That was the biggest drawback of my solution. I will update when I have the new disks installed.

Who is manufacturing them for you? Sign me up for a set!

I am concerned some of you are so comfortable drilling into your wheels. Is it possible to do it safely? Yes, with a properly fixtured wheel on a mill with repeatable control of the hole depth, and testing to determine it does not cause fracturing. But doing it by hand in a garage is very risky.

A much safer and simpler solution is to add a tapped hole to the end of the lug nuts. Then use a spacer bolt to bring the surface flush to the disc which is secured with a small button head screw. I've put together a quick assembly and rendering of this setup. It's easy to install and much less obvious when the disc is off.

Bolt.jpg

RC plane builders use a product called Monocoat. It is available at hobby shops in fairly large sheets. It comes in colors, is adhesive when heated and shrinks to tautness. I have used it to build recumbent bicycle aero tail boxes which last for years. I think it would work well directly on the wheel but it might be difficult to remove without paint damage. It might not be difficult to remove.

I had an idea for attaching the pans without drilling the rims, drill and tap the tops of the lug nuts.

A much safer and simpler solution is to add a tapped hole to the end of the lug nuts. Then use a spacer bolt to bring the surface flush to the disc which is secured with a small button head screw. I've put together a quick assembly and rendering of this setup. It's easy to install and much less obvious when the disc is off.

View attachment 80243

Exactly what I was talking about, though the spacer could just be a hollow tube and use a longer bolt.

Awesome! So you've partnered with a shop to manufacture these? I can't wait to see a scientific test of these!

I didn't really partner with them, I just brought the idea to them and they are using me as a test mule. I let them borrow a wheel so they could prototype. They are not a huge shop but they are known for their custom made disks. Their idea is to offer a kit for Tesla owners. I won't get any commission for any of their sales.

BTW, the disks are really well done and light (aluminum). They are clear painted so they are easy to keep clean.