Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is certainly possible we drop a couple % in the MMD, and then finish green tomorrow.... Need to be careful.

I don’t see it. Even from a TA perspective we are set up for a pretty significant drop. 261 and then 240. If we are somehow green I would be looking to sell some ITM calls for 1-2 weeks out. IMO. Not investment advice. Also will be closing out my bps at a loss. I think we see 240 at some point this week.

The only thing that could save us this week is a macro event or a fed put.

I don’t see it. Even from a TA perspective we are set up for a pretty significant drop. 261 and then 240. If we are somehow green I would be looking to sell some ITM calls for 1-2 weeks out. IMO. Not investment advice. Also will be closing out my bps at a loss. I think we see 240 at some point this week.

This is what I believe too. AAPL and TSLA were 2 mega caps that didn’t suffer too much during this decline, but both are showing weakness now. I think there was a lot of optimism because of the potential Q3 beat and also AI Day. Both, however, are lackluster in terms of surprising to the upside. The short term momentum looks to be down. Mega caps are always the last to decline and I think it’s our turn now. We are more likely to see $200 than $300 in my humble opinion.

With macros green, could TSLA really drop another 5% today on record P&D?

dropped 7.5% so far. It's early though!

Looks like right now trying to roll my $297.50 10/7 puts out past ER (10/21) would cost me 50 cents-1 buck for either $296.33 or $295 strikes, or $1.45 credit if I'm willing to go up to $298.33... rolling to 10/28 would get me about even roll at $295 strike... don't love any of those

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
dropped 7.5% so far. It's early though!

Looks like right now trying to roll my $297.50 10/7 puts out past ER (10/21) would cost me 50 cents-1 buck for either $296.33 or $295 strikes, or $1.45 credit if I'm willing to go up to $298.33... rolling to 10/28 would get me about even roll at $295 strike... don't love any of those
Yeah, I gave up on legging out of my Dec 383/283. Need to ride this out and hope I don't get assigned early.

wow, ya called that one. OUCH!

Yeah, deliveries only grew from 254k to 343k, it's amazing how that can be spun as miss.

Totally agree with you about the EOQ wave, maybe Tesla will finally just not care about it anymore. Hope.
I -am- surprised at how easily the explanations get manipulated to tell a really bad story. The article that came up in my news feed on Fidelity quotes JP Morgan Chase.

The lines that I remember (since I'm not easily finding a link):
- logistics hurdles (because they've already hired all of the available transport - they are somewhat being forced into this unwinding)
- possible demand destruction (because they built them, and they (consumers) didn't come)

In fairness if Tesla really did start having significant problems finding buyers (for Tesla) then I would expect an early manifestation to be an increase in the difference between production and delivery. The counter to this - Tesla will be easily able to turn production down to match actual demand more easily than anybody else.

Thus my take - the short term news, without any special help, is that this is a miss (because 343k < 359k). For long term investors this is a "situation normal, growth continues unabated" result. Every one of those 20something produced and undelivered cars will be delivered this week and maybe next (20k cars for a 500k quarter result is 1/2 week of deliveries), and that doesn't matter to a long term investor.

The only thing to see here for a long term investor is a buying opportunity. And I think its shaping up to be a doozy - easy short term bad news plus bad macro - my pessimistic self is suddenly seeing 220 (660 pre split) and 200 as possibilities. That isn't advice - my crystal ball has failed me pretty well this quarter :D

Legging out of my ITM BPS could be a little tougher if we open 5% down already. With macros green, could TSLA really drop another 5% today on record P&D?

I semi-expect the downers to step in and help support the share price today. Keep the shares from dropping 10%. That'll help with another 7% down day tomorrow.

That is more not-advice.

I closed out of my purchased call positions. They all went bust as I expected more than not when I opened them. With no cc open, only csp, this is an all red day.

The question of the morning that I'll be sitting with for awhile - if the shares are down from here, then this is a relative high spot in the share price, and now is a good time to open cc.

If the shares will be down a lot from here (say 245 down to 220) then I might be better off eating the $30 loss per csp share and selling new csp. With time value already nearing $0 for this week expiration 275 csp, I anticipate rolling today. The question will be the new expiration and strike - I lean towards a max strike improvement and the week after earnings report, maybe the 2nd week after earnings.

Closest-to-advice
For these DITM puts I have, and I suspect that many of us suddenly have, focus on the time value in the position rather than the DTE. When that time value is really close to zero is when you're losing control for keeping the position open.

A mistake I made the last time I had csp go DITM and stay there for 5ish months of rolling - I was rolling week to week, a week ahead of time. So rolling from around 7 DTE out to 14 - stuff like that. I should have been rolling month to month with at least 5-10 DTE when the time value was nearly zero. Its really the time value that control whether there is a good financial angle to an early exercise and the more time value you actually have then the less likely the early exercise (as that time value becomes the exerciser's gift to you).

I -am- surprised at how easily the explanations get manipulated to tell a really bad story. The article that came up in my news feed on Fidelity quotes JP Morgan Chase.

The lines that I remember (since I'm not easily finding a link):
- logistics hurdles (because they've already hired all of the available transport - they are somewhat being forced into this unwinding)
- possible demand destruction (because they built them, and they (consumers) didn't come)

In fairness if Tesla really did start having significant problems finding buyers (for Tesla) then I would expect an early manifestation to be an increase in the difference between production and delivery. The counter to this - Tesla will be easily able to turn production down to match actual demand more easily than anybody else.

Thus my take - the short term news, without any special help, is that this is a miss (because 343k < 359k). For long term investors this is a "situation normal, growth continues unabated" result. Every one of those 20something produced and undelivered cars will be delivered this week and maybe next (20k cars for a 500k quarter result is 1/2 week of deliveries), and that doesn't matter to a long term investor.

The only thing to see here for a long term investor is a buying opportunity. And I think its shaping up to be a doozy - easy short term bad news plus bad macro - my pessimistic self is suddenly seeing 220 (660 pre split) and 200 as possibilities. That isn't advice - my crystal ball has failed me pretty well this quarter :D

I semi-expect the downers to step in and help support the share price today. Keep the shares from dropping 10%. That'll help with another 7% down day tomorrow.

That is more not-advice.

I closed out of my purchased call positions. They all went bust as I expected more than not when I opened them. With no cc open, only csp, this is an all red day.

The question of the morning that I'll be sitting with for awhile - if the shares are down from here, then this is a relative high spot in the share price, and now is a good time to open cc.

If the shares will be down a lot from here (say 245 down to 220) then I might be better off eating the $30 loss per csp share and selling new csp. With time value already nearing $0 for this week expiration 275 csp, I anticipate rolling today. The question will be the new expiration and strike - I lean towards a max strike improvement and the week after earnings report, maybe the 2nd week after earnings.

Closest-to-advice
For these DITM puts I have, and I suspect that many of us suddenly have, focus on the time value in the position rather than the DTE. When that time value is really close to zero is when you're losing control for keeping the position open.

A mistake I made the last time I had csp go DITM and stay there for 5ish months of rolling - I was rolling week to week, a week ahead of time. So rolling from around 7 DTE out to 14 - stuff like that. I should have been rolling month to month with at least 5-10 DTE when the time value was nearly zero. Its really the time value that control whether there is a good financial angle to an early exercise and the more time value you actually have then the less likely the early exercise (as that time value becomes the exerciser's gift to you).
Do you really think we go down another 7% tomorrow? The SP is already ridiculously low.

Rolled -p275 to 5x -p245/210 for Friday and rolled -p300 to 4x 10/21 -p250/-180. Still holding a few more -p300 for this week hoping for a better roll.

Don't like being back in ATM spreads but 1) starting to think about risk of early exercise on the 300s, and 2) margin cushion was running low and interfering with my plan to start converting more shares to 1/25 300c.