Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Postpartum of Day #5 QTA generated levels. So far 5 out of 5 days the "Daily Range Low" and "Daily Range High" accurately contained the price action and provided several long off daily low and short off daily high opportunities.
It will be interesting to see what it predicts for tomorrow, FOMC day. Wicked Stocks shows $261.53 as containment or the down pivot point. I hope that heā€™s right, at least as this weekā€™s containment.

Anyone else open anything or is everyone closed out? I opened a small IC position: 9/22 +p250/-p260/-c270/+c280 just for fun. Iā€™ll probably lose it, as itā€™s an aggressive bet on IV collapse and not SP change. Otherwise, I still have all my shares covered by short CCs, a few 1-3 weeks out, but most into 2024/5 -c300 to -c310s. Iā€™m still worried about a drop back to 220s before returning to 300s+ next year.

What are you moving towards? Inquiring minds are curious!
I guess you'd calls it "straddles on steroids" šŸ˜†

But essentially it's just four calendar spreads, a bull call and a bear put, just that the short strike for each happens for be the same strike and expiry, this is where I'm heading:

30x Dec 2025 +c200 / 30x Jan 2024 -c300 + 30x Dec 2025 +p270 / 30x Sep 2024 -p300
90x Dec 2025 +c200 / 90x Jan 2024 -c300 + 90x Dec 2025 +p270 / 90x Sep 2024 -p300

The September 2024 strike was chosen as I already had 54x DITM -c200's and could flip those to 105x -c300's for free, plus I didn't want to put all my eggs into the Jan 2024 basket, if the SP were to dump I wouldn't have enough cash for 120x put assignments at $300 - yes they're covered by the long puts, but not linked in any way, would get a margin-call that would need to be resolved and I just don't want to go there

I actually think the stock will trend up over time, but with plenty of chop and sideways movement along the way. It's this weekly froth that gives us profits, then occasionally takes them away, sometimes all the profits from the previous 10 weeks, as we know

There's +$65 premium in the January straddle and +$110 in the September, meaning a lot of wiggle-room for profits. If we got a massive move then I'd probably buy back the winning side and rewrite on recovery, that's the benefit with writing monthlies, you can trade in/out of the position without too much stress

If the short puts go ITM I'm sure they're recover, if the short calls go ITM, well I can roll for credit until I can't, and the underlying long LEAPS have plenty of profit baked-in, so wouldn't be a disaster to sell those either, although would generate huge profits and subsequent tax bill, would prefer to generate enough cash over the next couple of years to exercise those LEAPS at expiry, then I can flip to weekly shitcall/put strategy

Last edited:
Can you please elaborate a bit?
the bottom trendline, the 0.5 fib from 243 to 279 and the previous breakout lvl all converged at 261.
Screenshot_20230920_064846_TradingView.jpg

It will be interesting to see what it predicts for tomorrow, FOMC day. Wicked Stocks shows $261.53 as containment or the down pivot point. I hope that heā€™s right, at least as this weekā€™s containment.

Here's the QTA generated ranges for today. Notice the confluence of Range low, Weekly Support and Max Pain at $262 area. That creates a strong pull in that direction absent massive buying/positive news event driven run.

1695217196191.png

1695217981424.png

Last edited:
I guess you'd calls it "straddles on steroids" šŸ˜†

But essentially it's just four calendar spreads, a bull call and a bear put, just that the short strike for each happens for be the same strike and expiry, this is where I'm heading:

30x Dec 2025 +c200 / 30x Jan 2024 -c300 + 30x Dec 2025 +p270 / 30x Sep 2024 -p300
90x Dec 2025 +c200 / 90x Jan 2024 -c300 + 90x Dec 2025 +p270 / 90x Sep 2024 -p300
So will you be out of near-term weeklies? I think itā€™s a good strategy, though seems to be biased to the SP rising from here to $300. The risk I see is that the SP dumps back to $200 in 2024 (not that I expect it, but itā€™s a risk, especially if the Fed decides that inflation hasnā€™t been whipped into submission). In such a scenario, the calls will theta decay but not the short puts, especially if the SP eventually pins near $280. Also, Iā€™ve noticed that longer term spreads and straddles donā€™t really decay very much, and often the ā€œwrongā€ side seems to decay faster. Thatā€™s why I prefer <3 DTE ICs (basically what you are doing, only on a much smaller, shorter timeframe scale). Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim Holder
So will you be out of near-term weeklies? I think itā€™s a good strategy, though seems to be biased to the SP rising from here to $300. The risk I see is that the SP dumps back to $200 in 2024 (not that I expect it, but itā€™s a risk, especially if the Fed decides that inflation hasnā€™t been whipped into submission). In such a scenario, the calls will theta decay but not the short puts, especially if the SP eventually pins near $280. Also, Iā€™ve noticed that longer term spreads and straddles donā€™t really decay very much, and often the ā€œwrongā€ side seems to decay faster. Thatā€™s why I prefer <3 DTE ICs (basically what you are doing, only on a much smaller, shorter timeframe scale). Just a thought.
I don't rule out weekly trades, but they'll be more for fun than anything too serious - like the +p200's I bought to cover the quarter end and sold short puts against

Incidentally, I closed out the 100x -p255 short puts on the pop today for +$1 profit, that's a nice $10k from nowhere... will stay out until FOMC has hit, even if they pause or eve drop rates, we could get a sell-the-news

I also bought +20x Dec 2025 +p270's on the pop, initially to cover this week's -p270's in case of a huge sell-off, otherwise I'l going to roll those until they expire, then will sell some more Sep 2024 puts

The long puts are financed by the initial premiums, so depending how they expire you can end up with free long puts to write against all the way to end 2025

FWIW lots of confluences at the $261 area (see circled area -- QTA range low, weekly support, Max Pain) which implies good support.

TSLA bounced nicely off the range low yesterday. Whether it goes back there this week is unclear. Based on QTA data my best guess is that on Friday TSLA hangs out around the $263 area depending on the FOMC announcement today.

If $261 breaks then more aggressive selling will ensue.

I don't think there's something to take a directional trade on yet. IMO the directional edge for a scalp up was when it was at $262 yesterday.

1695224855063.png

We also have heavy $270 resistance including a sell wall that's been growing all morning:

1695225384705.png

Edit: I went flat at $265.72 this morning and caught some gains from the overnight. Still thinking about STO -C280 9/22, -C295 9/29, and -C300 10/20 but waiting for a spike to the $270 area, or higher if TSLA drills through, to sell them. But I may also miss the chance if we never spike.

Last edited:
Easiest day trade-day ever. I Buy shares @ 265.50 sell @ 268.00, rinse and repeat (plus sell any calls Friday @268 and buy back @ 265.50
But before 14:00 : close all positions (or take a bet on humongous intrestrate hike?). I guess we can make just one more ride toward 265.50, so did write some calls again.
[Edit] P.S. Got this idea by just looking at option walls for Friday and assuming that nobody will take risks now already to burn their fingers on anything outside option-walls. That will change of course, because nobody knows what the Fed will do and to complicate things does not have clue about what really is priced in already, so it can become a crazy hour.. As I write this PS (and edit) somebody is shaking up the bed already by probably messing op my third trade.[/Edit]

Last edited:
just in time I bought back the shares I had dumped for the last round down. (only missing a few dimes) Stillbeing short (-C275 for Friday) maybe to roll them later. Has anybody any clue on the origin of this sudden Tesla-only-jump?
Rivn is up a similiar amount, same with Generac. Perhaps something in the green/EV space?