Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great setup! I love the ticker in the speaker, they're great!
Sometimes I put the Tickr on my wife's desk and say "if that stays green for a year I'll buy you a house..." 🤪

KEF LS50 Wireless II for the audiophiles... but they would know that already... KC62 sub-woofer under the desk...

Looks like $200 for close, eh?

No, I wouldn't call it algorithmic as that would imply, correct me if I'm wrong, an intentional design.
Algorithmic generally means that a mathematical algorithm can solve it - so practically, we could create a computer program to come up with the same thing (or if a few possibilities exist, the computer program can spit them out). You are suggesting EW is much more subjective and possibly can't be programmed ?

I'm not worried about the position, it can survive down to $165 or so. Even then I could buy some **SUGAR** puts and avoid a maintenance call.

I guess my questions are:

1) Is it good practice to close a short put position now when it appears we are making a recovery, especially if the position can survive down to $165 or so. Reason to BTC now is we may top here and go down, draining the gains.

2) If choosing to buy to close now to capture the gains, is there anything to pair it with so it doesn't use margin to BTC and can also benefit from a ride down.
We're not just "making a recovery". We're near the end of what is typically considered a reasonable recovery, considering where we were before the drop, why the drop happened, and where the drop took us. There are different stages to this bounce, periods of directional moves separated by basing periods. Right now I'd say that we're in the 2nd basing before what probably is going to be the last push before a sizeable correction. So you need to look at the road you've travelled vs the road ahead. We've gone $25 with about $10 more ahead of us. Will you risk the $25 profit on your entire position for the promise of the last $10? Don't try to milk the last drop is all I'm saying. That's just my read of the chart anyway. I can be wrong.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all the gurus here. I’m been learning a lot from the knowledgeable community here and slowly improving my understanding of options trading.

I have a question related to the tax implications for my after-tax trading account in the US, primarily used for TSLA and its options. Under the wash sale rule, capital losses from one trade get added to the cost basis of new TSLA-related acquisitions. However, I actively trade and rarely have a 30-day window without any TSLA-related activity.

Considering this, I'm curious: what strategies do other traders use to eventually realize these capital losses for tax purposes? Any insights or advice would be highly appreciated!
I never sell at a loss and then rebuy the same options contract.
The Premium for 200 strike Calls for today are VERY different than 200 strike Calls for July, so they are very different things (if they were the same, the premium would be the same). So wash sale rules don't apply. Fidelity figures all that stuff out for me and I get tax forms from them.

Edit: The only time it matters is if you "take a loss" at the end of December with a new position, and then close that position before the end of January, then you pull it to the following year.

This is the book on Elliot Waves that has helped make the ideas and patterns start to make sense for me. Kindle Unlimited or $3 or so - its 100 pages and short / easy enough to read that I was able to just read it through without trying to focus on each individual idea as it came up and make sure I understood it before I moved to the next.

My plan was, and is, to read it at least 1 more time with a similar mindset. I know there are a lot more details and nuances, but this is easily enough to get past that initial "omg - so many rules and patterns and guides and overwhelm!". At least it has been for me.

So read it once, fast, for an overview. Read it at least once more time for a more detailed understanding.
Update - just finished the 2nd reading. The tail end 1/3rd or 1/4th of the book is about translating the wave identification and patterns from the front chunk of the book into a trading system. I had forgotten that part from the first reading - its a really good transition from reading a chart, and into a (not THE) decision making process for both entering and exiting trades. At least for me it pulls the concepts together.

Maybe I'll start the 3rd reading tonight :)

We're not just "making a recovery". We're near the end of what is typically considered a reasonable recovery, considering where we were before the drop, why the drop happened, and where the drop took us. There are different stages to this bounce, periods of directional moves separated by basing periods. Right now I'd say that we're in the 2nd basing before what probably is going to be the last push before a sizeable correction. So you need to look at the road you've travelled vs the road ahead. We've gone $25 with about $10 more ahead of us. Will you risk the $25 profit on your entire position for the promise of the last $10? Don't try to milk the last drop is all I'm saying. That's just my read of the chart anyway. I can be wrong.
Thanks. Good stuff.

1) I take it then that now is not the time to sell new puts either since need to confirm over $206 for a new sustainable bullish leg. That might be time to sell short puts. If so, you’re right, now is likely time to BTC any short puts with gains and watch and perhaps re-sell them at the bottom of the upcoming correction, or sell them again if we pass and hold above $206. About right?

2) What do you have in mind for the sizable correction?

Reactions: BornToFly and dl003
Algorithmic generally means that a mathematical algorithm can solve it - so practically, we could create a computer program to come up with the same thing (or if a few possibilities exist, the computer program can spit them out). You are suggesting EW is much more subjective and possibly can't be programmed ?
EWT all boils down to fib ratios. At the micro level, that part is as objective as can be. The problem is there are tens, if not hundreds of micro movements that make up movements of a higher degree that make up movements of an even higher degree. Since EW allows for a number of different fib relationships between different waves of the same degree, oftentimes we run into trouble, not knowing if a countertrend move is simply a "crease" within a larger move (A) or if it's part of a bigger countertrend move of the same degree as A. For example: the 2nd wave of an impulse typically retraces 0.381x to 0.618x of the 1st wave because the 1st wave is typically not caught on by market participants so the countertrend 2nd wave can go deep. However, in instances where the 1st wave is massive, as there was some news that came out and took everyone by surprise, the 2nd wave might retrace 0.15x only. Now we're going argue about whether the 1st wave is still going on and that 0.15x retracement is just part of the 1st wave, or if the 1st wave is over and that 0.15x countertrend move is the 2nd wave and now we're looking at the 3rd wave.

So "subjective" is not the word I'd use to describe it. EW is a tool but not a comprehensive tool that you can use for every job in every situation. Once you bring on other tools, then it'll become more useful. A computer program that tries to automate this tool by itself will not be reliable.

Last edited:
Thanks. Good stuff.

1) I take it then that now is not the time to sell new puts either since need to confirm over $206 for a new sustainable bullish leg. That might be time to sell short puts. If so, you’re right, now is likely time to BTC any short puts with gains and watch and perhaps re-sell them at the bottom of the upcoming correction, or sell them again if we pass and hold above $206. About right?

2) What do you have in mind for the sizable correction?
Can retrace the entire run from 175.

Update - just finished the 2nd reading. The tail end 1/3rd or 1/4th of the book is about translating the wave identification and patterns from the front chunk of the book into a trading system. I had forgotten that part from the first reading - its a really good transition from reading a chart, and into a (not THE) decision making process for both entering and exiting trades. At least for me it pulls the concepts together.

Maybe I'll start the 3rd reading tonight :)
Yeah, this is where the Ouija Board stuff comes into play... but DL's explanation upthread was logical, people follow trends, and I guess algos too, I think they just amplify similar movements, so then you get this "crowd psychology" thing going on - when it's stated like that I can buy-into the concept

So for my 100X -200CC for next Friday. I decided to roll half of them to July 250 strike for $5.3 credit, which is .22/week. Not too bad, and if we are above 250 in July, many of my BPSs will be gone and life will be good.

TSLA held today despite the NASDAQ being down over the hot PPI. If macros recover next week I can see TSLA going higher. Then I will have 50X contracts left for Friday and 250X new contracts I can write to help dig those out.

Last edited:
I would certainly say that (EW is not algorithmic). You could certainly apply your own logic, the larger EW logic, and write your own program!

EW provides patterns, and rules that help describe the patterns, but most of the time there are at least 2 possibilities for how things develop forward in time. EW can put some guard rails around that, that are more true than not, but (as I see it) its another form of pattern trading. For me - what I like about it is that its a longer pattern, and that enables a more detailed peer into how the future pattern is likely to develop. It also helps identify when things are muddy, and why, and therefore just sit off to the side for developments to fit into a recognizable pattern that is sufficiently distinct and reliable as to be tradeable.

And its well beyond aggregate metrics that attempt to reduce the current state of an issue to a single value. I.e. the IV% - it tells you what the current IV is, relative to a longer period (I think ttm), but it doesn't say anything about how we arrived at the current iv% (using that as a made up example).

Yeah, this is where the Ouija Board stuff comes into play... but DL's explanation upthread was logical, people follow trends, and I guess algos too, I think they just amplify similar movements, so then you get this "crowd psychology" thing going on - when it's stated like that I can buy-into the concept
So it’s quantification of human psychology (markets) which is always interesting.

Last edited:
Will be an afternoon of monitoring, looking at rolls of 16Feb$205 to a combination of 1Mar$205 and $220 if SP continues above $200; showing quite good credits at the moment (although that in itself is a market warning of potential move up).
Decided to close out for pennies when SP spiked at 2:30, and then of course SP immediately dumped $2 into safe territory. Oh well, no worries, was still below btc cost of the half I did on Wednesday. Will digest over the weekend and sell next week taking account of the last few days’ rise.

For those interested: TickrMeter: Physical Stock Tickers on your desk

Was a Shark Tank success in Denmark and the dude that created the device has some serious physical disabilities, but clearly a sharp mind!

So, in the final 30 minutes:
- rolled 100x 3/1 -c185 -> 9/20 -c240 (net -20c)
- STO 60x 3/23 -p200 -> BTC 10x 3/1 -c185 -> the trade here, at the low of the day was 40x for 10x, but missed it...

And all that after three "good" beers...

Sometimes the fib levels can feel somewhat intuitive. For example: if a stock is strong and you want to buy the pullback, you probably wanna buy before it hits the 50% mark as you feel like 50% is what a "normal" stock should retrace to but this one is "strong" so maybe you do it at 40%, just enough to get yourself a sizeable discount without having to compete with all other plebs who are foolishly waiting for it just 10% lower. And then a few little tiny switches in your brain go off in mysterious ways and then you end up buying at 38.1% instead of 40%.

For those interested: TickrMeter: Physical Stock Tickers on your desk

Was a Shark Tank success in Denmark and the dude that created the device has some serious physical disabilities, but clearly a sharp mind!

So, in the final 30 minutes:
- rolled 100x 3/1 -c185 -> 9/20 -c240 (net -20c)
- STO 60x 3/23 -p200 -> BTC 10x 3/1 -c185 -> the trade here, at the low of the day was 40x for 10x, but missed it...

And all that after three "good" beers...
Clearly some inspired thinking…….

I never sell at a loss and then rebuy the same options contract.
The Premium for 200 strike Calls for today are VERY different than 200 strike Calls for July, so they are very different things (if they were the same, the premium would be the same). So wash sale rules don't apply. Fidelity figures all that stuff out for me and I get tax forms from them.

Edit: The only time it matters is if you "take a loss" at the end of December with a new position, and then close that position before the end of January, then you pull it to the following year.
Thank you (I don't see a like button for other people's posts). I read that the wash sale rule applies to options with different strike dates of the same underlying stock (i.e., TSLA). If that is the case, will the cost basis of my most recently purchased TSLA related security be adjusted up and I can only realize the capital losses if I stop trading for a full 30 days?