Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 things, s'il vous plait (please):
  1. be cautious until 1/21 (see Papafox's note this morning). We have to be guarded in trades if we want to be successful.
  2. this week is deja vu of early Jan 2021 where the gains quickly went awol. Circumstances were different back then, but it's still an unexpected wipeout.
  3. my 2022 is off to a very good start... this week's all-cash acct realized gain is:
wait for it...

View attachment 752701

yet another proof that cash beats HODL

in other news: yesterday STO BPS 1/14 -p900/+p800. I decided on -p900 (delta 7) because that's the 2nd-highest IO and volume in the afternoon; -p1000 (delta 24) i thought was very risky even though there was $123k more credit, so i am positioning my capital to hide farther back. The 950 wall and the 1000 wall are my 2 bodyguards. Really, really tempted by -p950, though, but i am thinking the extra $123k 'lost opportunity' insurance from black swan is my defense from losing capital.

Nice library. Well, that's a lot of ducking and hiding that I'll need to do this AM. Working from closest to furthest, I have 1/14, 1/21, 1/28 -1090/+890 puts that I was hoping wouldn't need attention. One last on Feb at -1050/+850 , I suppose that too should get some relief ?

Reactions: Yoona
3 things, s'il vous plait (please):
  1. be cautious until 1/21 (see Papafox's note this morning). We have to be guarded in trades if we want to be successful.
  2. this week is deja vu of early Jan 2021 where the gains quickly went awol. Circumstances were different back then, but it's still an unexpected wipeout.
  3. my 2022 is off to a very good start... this week's all-cash acct realized gain is:
wait for it...

View attachment 752701

yet another proof that cash beats HODL

in other news: yesterday STO BPS 1/14 -p900/+p800. I decided on -p900 (delta 7) because that's the 2nd-highest IO and volume in the afternoon; -p1000 (delta 24) i thought was very risky even though there was $123k more credit, so i am positioning my capital to hide farther back. The 950 wall and the 1000 wall are my 2 bodyguards. Really, really tempted by -p950, though, but i am thinking the extra $123k 'lost opportunity' insurance from black swan is my defense from losing capital.
Thanks Yoona - always appreciate your perspective inclusive of restraint even at your level of success/account balance.

Wanted to close my 1100cc's expiring today, and I fat fingered the trade -> I sold more of them instead of buying to close. First fat fingered trade I ever made. 🙃 Was going to correct immediately but they're already 30% in the green so I might hold on just a little longer. (Famous last words, I know).
EDIT: closed all 1100 cc's.

Last edited:
I'm still going to sit on these, at least until Monday, counting on NDX yearly trend channel

I'm with you.

Have the following expiring next week that I'm still holding onto (sold on the large Monday jump - who would have known, right?):
BPS 960/1010
BPS 980/1030

Closer than I want to be for sure, but I'm looking for an "Austin bump" news and analyst EPS upgrades as we get closer to earnings date.

But who knows . . . macros, MMs, and hedgies could derail my entire plan.

Last edited:
Following the Artful Dodger’s posts of the last few months has helped improve my trading. Today, I noticed that we were approaching the mid Bollinger Band around $1031.xx, so I put in a buy order for a couple shares and 1/14 +c1140s ($6.61). I managed to have those hit on the exact minute (10:52) of the “current” low ($1030.00). Now, we may continue down from here, but this is better timing than any of my previous buys or sells. TA may not be your forte, certainly not mine, but there are lots of traders who seem to use it extensively. Again, not advice, but bought a few calls for next Monday, just in case we get a bounce. This week’s setup isn’t anything close to last week’s, so I’m expecting to lose money on these.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🦺
Edit: Yesterday I had closed my -c1205s at $0.60-$0.80 on MMD, then sold -c1105s at $5.50-$7.20 in the afternoon rise. Today’s MMD I closed those for $0.20-$0.40 (probably would have expired worthless, but why take the chance when I already added another $4-$6 for the week). Not sure how well I did, certainly not as much as @Yoona, but perhaps 2% return this week on straight calls and puts, no spreads or margin).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about a new strategy once we're out of this mess, since there have been a few big dips that I haven't been able to take advantage of with my current strategy, and the rollercoaster lately isn't so fun:
  • Trade entry: BPS, 15% OTM or 5% RoC, whichever is closer, using 1/3 of available buying power
    • Tesla tends to drop 14% in 1 week during big selloffs
  • If tested: Deploy an additional 1/3 of buying power to roll for max strike improvement
    • Drops of 30% or more in a 2 week period is rare for TSLA
    • This allows the position to recover more quickly. The goal is to dodge the selloff and have buying power ready to take advantage of the dip in the following week.
    • The following weeks can target higher RoC due to high IV and a low SP
  • Maybe some rules about no more than 50% margin or no more than 10% RoC for an entry trade if there's a great opportunity
Ideally, it would mostly be stress-free and management-free, while still giving 1.6% compounded weekly, or 2.34x / yr, or 70x over 5 years... with the potential for fun trades near the bottom of selloffs

Thoughts? I might try it for a few months

Last edited:
That should pay well for you. I made 116% on a 12/14 purchase of 031822C1100 (as SP climbed from $950 to $1100; sold 3/4 of it 12/27 at +100% and the rest on 1/3 at +140%), and I'm looking at buying 052022C1200 tomorrow AM. Recommend setting limit orders to sell at specific levels and being flexible as new information is revealed, and take profits - they can disappear in a moment. This is how I rage buy!!

This AM:
  • Bought 052022C1200 (4 mos. $150 OTM) at $94.10, will attempt to repeat above by selling ~60% at $190 and ~40% at $220.
  • Also BTC all 010722CC1205 at $0.03 to clean up the sheet in anticipation of selling on Mon/Tues after a weekend change of tone, possibly some news, not sure I'll do any selling for 0121 unless I have to roll the 0114.
  • Still carrying 2 x 011421CC1100 which looked scary a few days ago, but now back in the green (-80% since Mon)

Last edited:
At what percent profit are you guys clipping your trades? For instance this morning I had some 1/14 spreads at 70% profit and now they are down to 33% profit 😐.
i am actually happy to cash in at 70% (less than 50% is also ok if SP appears to be reversing), even if there is no new position that will give a better deal and i left $ at the table.

i repeatedly promised myself for 2022 that my goal is to have SLOW and STEADY cash coming in (even if profit is tiny), because i am so tired of endless rolling just to realize my gains; this would mean less income overall and that's ok.

i am actually happy to cash in at 70% (less than 50% is also ok if SP appears to be reversing), even if there is no new position that will give a better deal and i left $ at the table.

i repeatedly promised myself for 2022 that my goal is to have SLOW and STEADY cash coming in (even if profit is tiny), because i am so tired of endless rolling just to realize my gains; this would mean less income overall and that's ok.
This is an important message. Optimizing between accumulation, income generation, and asset preservation will mean a completely different approach for each of us!

Had to...

Screenshot 2022-01-07 10.37.00 AM.png

Nice library. Well, that's a lot of ducking and hiding that I'll need to do this AM. Working from closest to furthest, I have 1/14, 1/21, 1/28 -1090/+890 puts that I was hoping wouldn't need attention. One last on Feb at -1050/+850 , I suppose that too should get some relief ?

UPDATE: As crazy as this may sound, I rolled the 1/14 to April 14 -950/+750 for credit. I then rolled 1/21 to 4/14, -900/+600 , widened to 300 for (debit), net difference pennies. So far, all good. I then bit the bullet and roller the 1/28 to the same April 14 spread, for a debit that ate away at my YTD credit; hope to BTC shortly after earnings, fingers crossed.

EDIT: Left the 2/4 1050 , in hindsight, should have moved that around while were 1040 or so. Oh well, still has some extrinsic, not much, will watch that closely.

With the remaining YTD credit, I followed @CHGolferJim by picking up a couple 220522C1200 at $93 each ... I like this trade very much, will sell at first opportunity to help bridge back some of the debit I took to get things better situated.

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY