Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to see if we bounce of the $1240 level for a second time today. If so I'm quite confident tomorrow's close will be within $1150-1250 range.

To add to previous posts: I really don't see $1500 in play for next Friday. That's +20% from here. Spiking maybe, but not settling there.

(Not advice of course, I'm positioned for swings in either direction)

The trend is your friend until it isn't. But following the last few weeks, I'd guess there is a >0 chance that our whales decide to initiate another gamma spike by taking out the $1,250 call wall. If that wall falls, I could see a run all the way to $1,300 by end of day (and after hours tomorrow).

Reactions: JustMe
11/12 IC is 450 wide:
+p950/-p1000 11Δ 18% OTM
-c1450/+c1500 11Δ 18% OTM
Breakeven 994/1457

View attachment 729242
I... love this trade. My version:
11/12 975/1000/1450/1475 @ $3.49

240 points to the downside and 210 points to the upside for this to go bad on me; plenty of time to fix things if it looks like it's going bad. And since I think 1300 and 1100 should be strong support/resistance I feel comfortable in this trade. Thanks for sharing!

I believe we are in uncharted territory now:

The reason for the early put rolling was that I needed to temporarily release the cash covering so that I could roll out my remaining 11/12 -c805s to 11/19 -c810s. These CCs are so dITM that they risk early exercise, so I’m trying to keep rolling a week early. This is one of those “learning” experiences that @adiggs has expounded on in the past and others have even modeled. Unfortunately, this time it’s different and I don’t think rolling will work as well because these are so far dITM that only $5/wk rolling credit (or strike improvement) is available. Unfortunately, I just checked MaxPain and rolling $805 puts will actually bring in LESS premium.

I continue to do the CC rolling because it’s really just an experiment to see if rolling indefinitely is actually possible. Given the Tesla’s continued future growth and profitability, I doubt they will ever expire worthless. As a thought experiment, $5/wk x 50 wk = $250/yr strike improvement. Ok, so then by Dec 2022, I somehow manage to reach $1060-$1100 strike. By Dec 2023 I reach $1300-$1400. You see the problem here, this is not “falling off the wheel,” it’s running on top of it, while it’s going downhill.
I had sold a 880CC for my son a few weeks ago. I started rolling it up and out. At the time rolling out 4 weeks worked better than 1 week.

I believe we are in uncharted territory now:

I guess those of us who had losses should feel better knowing that it only took the biggest move in the history of the stock market to do it. o_O

In my news feed on Fidelity this morning for Tesla, I get this article about Diess going before a special subcommittee of the board of directors to, in effect, defend his job. The money quote:

Cavallo is the works council boss - I believe that's the labor rep on the board.

Who seems to not understand that apparently the only thing Diess is thinking about are those huge challenges the company faces, and that Tesla / Musk are the yardstick to measure themselves against (and not measuring up very well right now).

Which got me thinking - I have no idea if Diess is actually any good as an auto manufacturing CEO. I don't know anything about him at all in fact, but it seems unlikely that he is actually bad at it as he's running VW - arguably the best car company in the world before Tesla came along. I also don't know if he's more the visionary type (Jobs) or the operations type (Cook) - would he make a good COO for Tesla?

Maybe as in sports he'd like to play for the winning team, instead of fighting with management about what the losing team needs, to match up well with the winning team.
If he comes to Tesla, I’d like to see him audition as President of Europe where he could prove he’s not stuck in legacy auto mindsight. Wouldn’t have to relocate, etc.

BTW per the discussion on shares vs LEAPS... anyone have any insight on how this impacts available margin to do other stuff like sell spreads? (like how available margin would vary if you had say 500k in shares and 500k in LEAPs, versus 1 million in just one of those, or versus say 500k in LEAPs and 500k cash?)

Google not being super helpful.... I did find this item:

Margin:
For purchases of puts or calls with more than 9 months until expiration, deposit / maintain 75% of the total cost / option current market value. When time to expiration reaches 9 months, the option no longer has value for margin purposes. Purchases of puts or calls with 9 months or less until expiration must be paid for in full.

Depends on your broker. For me (at IBKR) it is ~50% of the market-value of shares/LEAPs i get as margin. For cash it is 100%.

Holy cow the premiums for puts are high for next week. All my put spreads are losing money while the stock price is up $27! I had to roll my "I dare you" to next week because it was just too lucrative ($15.65/share for $150 spread at $117 OTM, wait, what?!?).

Must... resist... using... more... margin... except the damn margin available keeps going up! Must... resist...

Look at Theta. I have spreads which yield me ~1-2$ Theta every day. This goes down over time & then i roll them closer to the SP to squeeze out more.
Way less risk & it forces you to wide spreads. I want to farm Theta, not delta/vega with tight spreads.

For TDA at least my longer dated options don't give me any margin benefit at all. I'm pretty sure this varies by broker. Shares (I have very few, but plan to start loading up if we see a pull back) give (I think?) 60% margin or so. More than I expected, at any rate. So I maintain a large cash position and use that instead of margin to sell BPS, then also have about 3k-4k of delta from long calls (equivalent to 3k-4k shares), depending on what I think the SP is doing.

Depends on your broker. For me (at IBKR) it is ~50% of the market-value of shares/LEAPs i get as margin. For cash it is 100%.

Interesting- so one of you gets NO margin benefit from LEAPs and the other gets 50% same as shares.

Far as I can tell I get none at ML either- only stock shows up as having margin equity value in my margin account.

(and at ML at least this is NOT clearly documented, had to dig into balance info to suss it out, though it also became obvious this past 2 weeks when my margin was growing significantly less quickly than expected given the growth of the overall account value since it's about half shares half LEAPs)

I am not sure when I can be less conservative, I only do BPS -780/+680 & -750/+650 for around $1-$1.5 premium.
There isn't a rush. Stick with the really conservative stuff while you're getting your feet under you, learning the mechanics, building up your own process for how you decide on strikes, gathering info about the market and stuff. If you think of this as a 10+ year exercise, then even if it takes 6 months of reading, trying stuff out for yourself, and finding your own approach that works for you, then that's fine. In the next 10 years, whether it takes you 1 month, 6 months, or you decide that your current level of risk works well for you - it won't matter how long it takes you to get there.

And you're making money while you're figuring these things out. It's always good to be paid to learn.

I am wondering, seems most of you have already open the BCS already, is there any reason why open it now instead of waiting till next Monday?
I open now to get the weekend time decay. I also open now because IV is so high, and has been so low not so far in the past, that I like to sell that high IV now and lock it in for the week and a bit.

IV must have jumped. I’m still learning when to roll puts, and did some yesterday, which I definitely now know was too early and ended up paying too much for the BTC. The closed puts (1040s-1100s) lost a couple $ more overnight while the STO puts for next week actually gained (or lost less $ value that the BTC puts). I suppose that’s why patience is a virtue or maybe why it’s called “roll Thursday.”

The reason for the early put rolling was that I needed to temporarily release the cash covering so that I could roll out my remaining 11/12 -c805s to 11/19 -c810s. These CCs are so dITM that they risk early exercise, so I’m trying to keep rolling a week early. This is one of those “learning” experiences that @adiggs has expounded on in the past and others have even modeled. Unfortunately, this time it’s different and I don’t think rolling will work as well because these are so far dITM that only $5/wk rolling credit (or strike improvement) is available. Unfortunately, I just checked MaxPain and rolling $805 puts will actually bring in LESS premium.

I continue to do the CC rolling because it’s really just an experiment to see if rolling indefinitely is actually possible. Given the Tesla’s continued future growth and profitability, I doubt they will ever expire worthless. As a thought experiment, $5/wk x 50 wk = $250/yr strike improvement. Ok, so then by Dec 2022, I somehow manage to reach $1060-$1100 strike. By Dec 2023 I reach $1300-$1400. You see the problem here, this is not “falling off the wheel,” it’s running on top of it, while it’s going downhill.

So, more confirmation that options traders must stay in contact (near) ATM otherwise risk falling off the wheel. After losing CC shares on the run up, I have managed to sell N-1 puts at close to ATM, but I’m still making much less than the week SP rise ($20-$30 vs $100). If I was to sell N puts, the premium would be even lower. Unfortunately, my losses in just a few weeks have likely wiped out all of my yearly options gains.
I like rolling covered calls. The process is so much cleaner mentally, at least for me. Do I like assignment at the new position better than I like assignment at the current position. This definitely gets into time value of money and alternative uses for the money. The credits aren't directly comparable either - you'll need to earn very high premiums to match the much more modest put spread premiums (same % credit for the same $ backing).

Good feedback and insight on staying close(r) to the money. You're pretty far back though. and yet you're still improving the strike.

Something I learned from my hell put experience over the front half of the year - also look at the 2/3/4 week rolls when its roll time. There were situations where the 4 week roll was >>4x the 1 week roll. I usually found that the 1, 2, or 4 week rolls were the place to be. A secondary benefit of the 4 week roll is that you're not needing to worry about the position as soon for the next roll. And you save a trivial bit of commission!

Also - rolling the week before expiration when deep ITM seemed to me to be important. I've never been assigned but the early roll was an important part of that. More specifically if the time value on the deep ITM option is getting really small, then the likelihood of exercise is going up. I tended to roll with .50 or so of time value - that was probably too early, but I wouldn't let it get to say .10 for instance. Besides - the sooner you roll when time value is practically 0, then the more time to the next expiration and thus the more time value in the new position that you can use to buy strike improvements and/or bigger net credits.
I am thinking something similar, in general, would it be better to sell super OTM BPS / BCS (eg. around 30-40% OTM from each side) and tighten the range next week after we see a better direction?
Better is something that we each decide for ourselves. The theme being that we each make our own decision and experience our own consequences.

One thought for you to consider - %OTM is a 'static' relationship between your short option and the share price. 2 months ago 30% OTM would have been like .25 premium or something and probably not worth doing. Today with high IV there is some money there. Premium size is also a bad metric. But figuring out what that metric is for you - that may take you awhile. In which case the %OTM may be a good placeholder :)

My take on BCS is that rolls on those are really awkward. If instead of paying for an OTM insurance call you spend a lot more for a deep ITM call that you use as share replacement, and then you sell calls against that, then going deep ITM on the short call always has an easy escape hatch - sell the deep ITM call and BTC the short call. That'll be cash flow positive and probably realized P/L positive. You'll have opportunity cost of missing out on some of the share price rise, but you won't experience permanent loss of capital.

You look smart now, but if the SP had kept dropping yesterday and today instead of rebounding, we would have looked like geniuses.🤓
If only our crystal balls would tell us what would happen next.

I'm a big fan of taking positions that I consider good, when they are being offered. Sometimes its too soon, and sometimes it's the peak. Either way it's good by my definition and that had better be good enough for me :p

So about these leap covered calls, or poor man's covered call (diagonal call spread?), couple questions, did I get this right:
- buy an ITM call far out to future (LEAP)
- sell eg a weekly otm call, the call is in essence covered by the bought call
- if short call goes itm and rolling is not feasible, just close both legs

Sounds like a low-risk strategy. What's a good entry price for the leap? I guess long call needs to have smaller strike than sold short calls. What am I missing?
I think this could conplement my bps strategy while minimizing the risk of getting shares called away.

In this country, taxation on realized gains can be much lower if you have held the asset for over 10 years.. so I really don't want to sell my shares. Also that is why I don't own any leaps - there are no leaps 10 years into the future.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: adiggs
So about these leap covered calls, or poor man's covered call (horizontal call spread?), couple questions, did I get this right:
- buy an ITM call far out to future (LEAP)
- sell eg a weekly otm call, the call is in essence covered by the bought call
- if short call goes itm and rolling is not feasible, just close both legs

Sounds like a low-risk strategy. What's a good entry price for the leap? I guess long call needs to have smaller strike than sold short calls. What am I missing?
I think this could conplement my bps strategy while minimizing the risk of getting shares called away.

In this country, taxation on realized gains can be much lower if you have held the asset for over 10 years.. so I really don't want to sell my shares. Also that is why I don't own any leaps - there are no leaps 10 years into the future.

One risk is that your short strike goes ITM too fast and loses a lot more money than the long strike gains.

If too DITM, you can essentially lose all the time value from your LEAP and end up with the equivalent of a vertical spread, even though the expiration of the short call is much earlier.

If he comes to Tesla, I’d like to see him audition as President of Europe where he could prove he’s not stuck in legacy auto mindsight. Wouldn’t have to relocate, etc.
Surely his connections to German auto would be an asset in many ways. IIRC, wasn't he under consideration for a job at Tesla sometime in the past?

We are getting close to the optimal time for selling options - after a big move in either direction when the SP settles eventually into a predictable range. We are clearly not there yet but I would expect in the next 2-3 weeks to settle into a more stable and predictable SP range. That is the history of TSLA and I don’t see why it won’t be different this time. The reason it is the best time to sell options is of course that the IV will still be high from the recent big move as it takes many weeks for the IV to slowly drop back down to reflect the more stable range.

I am still staying very OTM with puts>>calls for next week and with the high IV still taking in nice premiums. Once the SP is more stable then I will slowly move less OTM and make even better premiums since the IV will still be high.

The worst time (in hindsight) to sell options is like 3 weeks ago after a long flattish period when the IV was low and many of us flew too close to the sun selling OTM calls to get some profit that burned us. Those are also the hardest times to predict - when a big move will happen.

Inevitably the SP will settle downs in the next few weeks and then we will be able to make nice profits selling high IV very OTM puts and calls.

We are getting close to the optimal time for selling options - after a big move in either direction when the SP settles eventually into a predictable range. We are clearly not there yet but I would expect in the next 2-3 weeks to settle into a more stable and predictable SP range. That is the history of TSLA and I don’t see why it won’t be different this time. The reason it is the best time to sell options is of course that the IV will still be high from the recent big move as it takes many weeks for the IV to slowly drop back down to reflect the more stable range.

I am still staying very OTM with puts>>calls for next week and with the high IV still taking in nice premiums. Once the SP is more stable then I will slowly move less OTM and make even better premiums since the IV will still be high.

The worst time (in hindsight) to sell options is like 3 weeks ago after a long flattish period when the IV was low and many of us flew too close to the sun selling OTM calls to get some profit that burned us. Those are also the hardest times to predict - when a big move will happen.

Inevitably the SP will settle downs in the next few weeks and then we will be able to make nice profits selling high IV very OTM puts and calls.

Yea definitely. I would give you more likes if you posted this 3 weeks ago though ;)

I used to sell naked puts ATM or slightly OTM. When I expected a rise I would even sell naked puts deep ITM (which paid off handsomely when we went from 1500 to 2500 pre-split and recently from 600 to 850). But it's a stressful strategy.

I've now opted for a strategy of less risk and a lower, but steadier income. Choosing the strikes depends on the volatilty. At this moment, with a highly volatile stock, I'm selling options with 1 week or 1,5 week expiry at strikes that are about 300 points away from the SP. So that's about 25%. When the stock calms down (and premiums come down) I will start getting closer. But 15% will probably be the minimum distance. I'm currently making about $15k per week, which is a 1% return. More than plenty for me.

I could earn more premium with more risky strikes or a higher number of positions (which would have to be spreads), but I don't need to anymore, thanks to TSLA's performance in 2019 and 2020. I can sell my company and retire if I want to (but I'm not going to do that at age 53), I paid off my new penthouse, have a Roadster reservation and can buy what I want and travel where I want. I don't need an island, big boat or villa on the Bahamas, so there's no need to take unnecessary risks with my trading account.

The stressful and painful moments some of the option writers here recently experienced reinforce this belief.
What % of your margin do you allocate for selling naked puts on a weekly basis?
is there a percentage you don’t cross in case of a potential black swan event? Or since you now stay 25% far OTM you take larger positions?