Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering Tesla energy, licensing/selling supercharger hardware, use of charging infrastructure, eventual FSD... how could we be anything but permabulls? Long-term, that is. We're all riding the eternal Macro stock-market rodeo while TSLA is doing it's thing.

Re-read your post; yes indeed, jan 2025 Strike $300's are exactly what I'm bidding on around TSLA SP $185; am I being too greedy??

Disclaimer- I hardly know what I'm doing compared to most of the leading comtributors here, take all I say with a huge grain of salt.
Before Q3 I had picked 2024 EOY as seeing 300+. Now I think that won't be until 2025 sometime. Thesis hasn't changed much but I've just pushed it out a bit.

• Love
Reactions: UncaNed
Closed out -c200/205/220, still holding -c210 and -p200/205. Don't usually like to close on Mondays but figured why leave it hanging out there when it's already 50%+ gain. Also picked up a couple more 1/26 +c100. A rally to 240 would be awesome now but I'd be happy to get back to 220 to reopen some short calls.

Last edited:
Is that 193.97 low an ACTUAL, or strange fronting number? Asking for a friend.

update: and another one… if these are real I do NOT like these rapid 2% dislocations in price - someone is selling large blocks if that is the case.

I've seen them all morning and they eventually hit after some time. Not sure if the 193.36 fake LOD print will but worth being defensive.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Just trying to be objective here:

PE ratio increasing
Lower margins
Buyers having troubles accessing credits

VS

GM, Honda, Toyota, Ford delaying
Their EV targets because of prices making it unprofitable

Do we have to adjust the TSLA growth story and Price Target in the long term or you guys are all staying Permabulls in the long term. Have you readjusted the TSLA thesis. Trying to see if selecting a Jan2026 300 strike is smart or I should adjust.
No change to my own long term thesis. 10x the ATH by 2030 is my simplistic view of things. I think it highly unlikely we go that far by 2025, but I also wouldn't be shocked.

The lower margins is something that might be here forever, between competition coming in a decade or so, plus Elon and Tesla choosing lower margins in order to keep the manufacturing output growing at such a high rate.

Reality is that I expect margins to fluctuate a lot more than most investors are accustomed to because the decision making at Tesla is driven by a different underlying view of the world. Namely - MBA types learn in school to keep prices as high as possible consistent with utilization of assets, maintaining pricing power, maintaining market share, etc.. Tesla chooses prices based on growing units by 50%, and the corresponding increase in manufacturing assets, while maintaining positive cash flow and profitability, all in service to the Secret Master Plan and company mission.

Its one reason Tesla doesn't fit well into the boxes people learn about in MBA school, and makes it harder for MBA trained financial people to analyze the company. Tesla is in business to achieve the mission, rather than being in business to make a buck (or at least that's the way I see it). There aren't very many of these around

Meanwhile I don't see any of the other American or European manufacturers being in danger of growing their EV business in a big way, or becoming cash flow positive, or becoming profitable. All 3 things need to happen, in approximately that order. I do see expenses going up for other manufacturers, making it harder for any of those things to happen.

End result for me - I've already begun buying the Jan '26 300 strike calls, and expect to buy more soon. We've broken below 200 today - I started buying around 220 or 230 ($52 for that option); I see that they're down to $38 or so right now and that means its about time to buy more for me. An important driver for this decision is that I am currently much higher cash than I'd like to be, so I am actively looking to buy.

I have 200 strike puts for this week that I hope to be assigned - I add some more of those calls at $35 I think, and that looks like a share price of 190ish to me.

Is that 193.97 low an ACTUAL, or strange fronting number? Asking for a friend.

update: and another one… if these are real I do NOT like these rapid 2% dislocations in price - someone is selling large blocks if that is the case.
There are strange up and down spikes. I thought they were just Fidelity issues. But they show up in other places too.

1698684395244.png

1698684518254.png

There are strange up and down spikes. I thought they were just Fidelity issues. But they show up in other places too.

View attachment 986493

View attachment 986495
Oddly, sadly, expectedly I think they are real, don’t think $190 is going to hold, moving STO PUT target now to Dec 15/23 $185 for $10.75

buying back Nov $225 -CC ~ $1.60, sold 8.5$ last week - probably will go to zero.

The glitches seem to fixed itself at least on Tradestation. Daily low showed 196 instead of 194 now.

View attachment 986497
There were such spiked on Friday too in Fidelity (active trader pro, desktop). But they are gone now.

My guess is there are some trades being entered into the exchange now that were done outside the exchange. But are not being tagged properly (I'm assuming there is a way to enter these trades and tag them as external).

I bought to close all my Jan 2024 350CCs that I had sold in June. Closed them for just 0.4. I should be able to make that back easily on weeklies. Waiting for a Green Day. Hopefully tomorrow based on China numbers. This sell off is ridiculous given we are going to have a massive record quarter and start of Cybertruck. I know EPS is down, but this all seems very short sighted.

Today SP is decoupled from Macro, SPY, AAPL, and QQQ are up in greens. No major news for Tesla that could have explain for the drop.
TA is driving this along with extreme fear of EV slowdown.

Tomorrow China Number and generally rebound after big drop should bring some green tomorrow. However, that maybe short live since FOMC and Apple are on Wed and Thursday.

I'm sensing a rebound tomorrow and continue drop toward 18X this week. Be cautious and good luck for the week guys.
Transferring my brokerage account so I will be out of play for a couple of days.

No change to my own long term thesis. 10x the ATH by 2030 is my simplistic view of things. I think it highly unlikely we go that far by 2025, but I also wouldn't be shocked.

The lower margins is something that might be here forever, between competition coming in a decade or so, plus Elon and Tesla choosing lower margins in order to keep the manufacturing output growing at such a high rate.

Reality is that I expect margins to fluctuate a lot more than most investors are accustomed to because the decision making at Tesla is driven by a different underlying view of the world. Namely - MBA types learn in school to keep prices as high as possible consistent with utilization of assets, maintaining pricing power, maintaining market share, etc.. Tesla chooses prices based on growing units by 50%, and the corresponding increase in manufacturing assets, while maintaining positive cash flow and profitability, all in service to the Secret Master Plan and company mission.

Its one reason Tesla doesn't fit well into the boxes people learn about in MBA school, and makes it harder for MBA trained financial people to analyze the company. Tesla is in business to achieve the mission, rather than being in business to make a buck (or at least that's the way I see it). There aren't very many of these around

Meanwhile I don't see any of the other American or European manufacturers being in danger of growing their EV business in a big way, or becoming cash flow positive, or becoming profitable. All 3 things need to happen, in approximately that order. I do see expenses going up for other manufacturers, making it harder for any of those things to happen.

End result for me - I've already begun buying the Jan '26 300 strike calls, and expect to buy more soon. We've broken below 200 today - I started buying around 220 or 230 ($52 for that option); I see that they're down to $38 or so right now and that means its about time to buy more for me. An important driver for this decision is that I am currently much higher cash than I'd like to be, so I am actively looking to buy.

I have 200 strike puts for this week that I hope to be assigned - I add some more of those calls at $35 I think, and that looks like a share price of 190ish to me.
Just bought 5 of them today for $37

Thanks for making me not feel the only guy buying the endless dip

Today SP is decoupled from Macro, SPY, AAPL, and QQQ are up in greens. No major news for Tesla that could have explain for the drop.
TA is driving this along with extreme fear of EV slowdown.

Tomorrow China Number and generally rebound after big drop should bring some green tomorrow. However, that maybe short live since FOMC and Apple are on Wed and Thursday.

I'm sensing a rebound tomorrow and continue drop toward 18X this week. Be cautious and good luck for the week guys.
Transferring my brokerage account so I will be out of play for a couple of days.

This is the most plausible explanation I've seen. I'm skeptical it's the actual reason, but it could be...

I joined @adiggs and @OrthoSurg and dipped my toe in the water on those Jan '26 $300s.