Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi spotted in the wild!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two cents.... someone needs to capture vids of this rig passing other ICE rigs going up steep grades, like the Coquhala (ada Highway from Hell) east of Hope, British Columbia and send them up to YT.

Seeing is believing.. and video proof of the Tesla Semi passing other rigs going up hill will be nail in the coffin for those who can not see the future for the clouds of diesel fumes.

Cheers, Hugh-SG

You've obviously never towed with a EV

No kidding. So many opportunities to follow it (at a safe and respectful distance) through the mountains and shoot some video. Come on, YouTubers, let's see some Semi hillclimb action. :)

Tesla should be able to get any amount of performance they want out of a mule by adding battery packs and drive motors. The MFG price on that stuff should be pretty small. I wonder if they have considered a low profile model trailer and tractor for dense cargo, looks like they could cut frontal area, hence drag,in half.

• Love
Reactions: artsci
Tesla should be able to get any amount of performance they want out of a mule by adding battery packs and drive motors. The MFG price on that stuff should be pretty small. I wonder if they have considered a low profile model trailer and tractor for dense cargo, looks like they could cut frontal area, hence drag,in half.
It’s not as simple as just adding batteries. They need to keep the truck under a certain weight, to not cut into the weight the truck can haul.

There might be some real opportunities to create lighter trailers.

Some of them, especially straight, refrigerated trucks, seem inordinately heavy.

I'm curious if that's something you're guessing at, or if you work in the industry and think that trailer builders build "inordinately heavy" trailers (for the cost) - that they're not building them as light (and cheap) that still makes them functional.

Or is there some technology disruption in trailer manufacturing that the current trailer manufacturers are missing.

I'm not in the industry, so I really don't know.

I'm curious if that's something you're guessing at, or if you work in the industry and think that trailer builders build "inordinately heavy" trailers (for the cost) - that they're not building them as light (and cheap) that still makes them functional.

Or is there some technology disruption in trailer manufacturing that the current trailer manufacturers are missing.

I'm not in the industry, so I really don't know.
Semi trailers are already light for what they do, especially compared to trailers just 20 years ago. The lower the tare weight, the more the trailer can legally carry.

I suspect that would explain it. I'm only in the business of buying some straight trucks, and looking at tractor trailers as a company purchase - but it was a long time ago - and I just realized how long ago...

It might have taken some time for the weight savings to trickle down to refrigerated straight trucks...

View attachment 420293
We saw the Tesla Semi at the Kettleman City SC! 1 of only 2 in existence! The driver sits in the middle of the cab flanked by two M3 landscape screens.
The two engineers who were driving it were super friendly and full of answers. They said take pictures post to Instagram, Facebook, Amazon.
View attachment 420298
Awesome vehicle, but the wheels ruined the beauty!!

994F476B-6CAD-4F01-9F20-FCB6AD524FDD.jpeg
87627F54-92AC-4B44-8CB0-37291BA86747.jpeg
0E7FB114-70B0-4C48-9640-A54667BB89DA.jpeg

At the Truckee CHP Weigh Station
Notice the yellow sticker on windshield. This truck has been inspected by CHP