Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sending Video to SC prior to appointment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla Owner here trying to learn the ropes of the unique Tesla service structure. I made an appointment a week ago to have a buzzing sound in my dash fixed next week and I get a text request for a video of the issue today. Typically no problem, but I'm out of town and my car is sitting at the airport. Because I couldn't send the video immediately Tesla cancelled my appt. Obviously, I made the appt for a time that was convenient for me and I don't appreciate having to adjust to Tesla's schedule. How do others avoid this? Is there a way to send a video when the appt is made?

Reactions: 1375mlm
Okay, at the risk of answering my own question the SC has texted me that there is no way to include a video when scheduling a service appointment but it's on the "roadmap" for future enhancements...

So, my understanding of the service center appointment process is:
1. make appointment online at a time convenient for you (very smooth and easy)
2. potentially receive a request for a video of your issue from the SC, mine occurred 2 business days prior to my appt
3. if you don't have access to your car and can't send a video the SC cancels your appt. I was given 24 hours to submit video but was out of town at the time and my car was at the airport
4. Reschedule appointment at a time convenient for you
5. Hope you are with your car when the next request for video comes in

I appreciate Tesla's effort in using technology to prepare for SC visits but the execution is lacking

Reactions: 1375mlm
...if you don't have access to your car...

Just to clarify, I was thinking about I wouldn't know the right way to send a video to Service Center:

1) attach the video to a text message? Would that be too big to send?
2) attach the video in an e-mail? Sometimes e-mail refuses to send due to large file?

But it sounds like you are not talking about the technical aspect of sending a video.

You are talking about being unable to video the car issue and beating Tesla's deadline, aren't you?

Correct, I can attach a short video to a text reply when SC requests it, but only if I have access to the car at exactly that time. Had service folks requested earlier it wouldn’t have been as much of an issue.
I’m sorry....does anyone else think this is the dumbest thing they’ve heard in awhile? Not you Greg but rather the request itself from SC.
I have seen many videos of people trying to describe and show a “noise” of various problems. Not a single one of them has proved useful. It just doesn’t sound the same on a video as it does sitting in 3D immersed sound to your own ears in the seat.
What would it matter anyway? Outside of them thinking your lying about the noise, just take the darn car in for a short ride to see what the customer is concerned with and evaluate if it’s normal or can be corrected. Probably less time to do a short test ride than it is to go back and forth and try and get video and decipher the noise on someone’s crappy PC speakers at the service shop!
Sorry I’m calm now. This kind of stuff drives me insane when you want service. Apologies Greg none of this is meant towards you. I sincerely hope you are able to find a solution.

Well said Quickstrike, here is the exact text from Tesla in case anyone thinks I may be confused: "Good morning, this is Tesla Service. Could you send us some video of the buzzing sound you are experiencing? You can reply to this message with the video. Thanks!"

I didn't have an issue with the request necessarily, just the amount of time I was given to send the video considering I was out of town at the time. To the extent this is a new service policy I'm sure we'll hear of others who can describe their satisfaction with the process.