Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Catches Burglary of ANOTHER Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, it's a difficult issue for all of us,
but why don't you then come up with practical ideas?
I think many people here (most?) actually do have the most practical plan: stay out of SF. I have learned to avoid and stay elsewhere when in bay area now. Most practical solution for me...

And if I lived there, the practical solution would be to make a plan to get the heck out. Permanently.

IF you lived here.
A lot of negative wisdom by people who don't.

SF has become a big city, and it doesn't end at
the city limits. 8 million people. Some percentage
of any big city are crazy, some are criminals, and
most are pretty decent human beings. With that
many people and all the variables, any big city's
glass can look very empty or very full, depending.

Btw, I love Portland, it's not a big city.

I'm willing to guarantee the police won't do a damn thing (not even ask for your video or license plate recorded), that's why it's such a problem in San Francisco, there's no consequences for these guys, police would rather sit at Starbucks & Phil's in Noe Valley since they are allowed to ignore non life threatening calls (they claim to be too busy to respond to anything else)

Have you thought about becoming a police officer and teaching them how to do the job?

I think many people here (most?) actually do have the most practical plan: stay out of SF. I have learned to avoid and stay elsewhere when in bay area now. Most practical solution for me...

And if I lived there, the practical solution would be to make a plan to get the heck out. Permanently.

I don’t see the appeal of living in that hellhole. Feces, traffic, needles and burglary, vs some good restaurants on the upside.

Honestly a repeat of the great fire might help clear the slate and try again.

• Disagree
Reactions: alex_415
Have you thought about becoming a police officer and teaching them how to do the job?

Rather sarcastic. Honestly you're in Colorado and have no idea how bad it is here in the SF Bay area. Our MS was vandalize (rear triangular window) in 2017 and the police pretty much told my husband who even went to the trouble to take a flashdrive to them, that it was likely just going to sit there unseen as they were vastly understaffed for that department, auto crimes in general were very high and there were other crimes that were far more serious than a car break in. When he called them on the phone he was even discouraged from bringing in the video or making a report and instead was told to just file an insurance claim. So you just had over $1000 in damage done to your car, many have more and have lost belongings too, and this is what you encounter when you're trying to report a crime. Plus you know you are by no means alone in being victimized and things have only grown worse since our car was targeted. Maybe these organized guys will move to your State, form successful rings there with the kind of numbers of break ins like we have and you can enjoy filing your report and seeing if it gets you any where.

I know how infuriating it feels, and personally I agree with people beating thieves to a pulp, or lethal self-defense when lethally attacked. But the reality is that the cops simply can't drop everything and investigate your broken car window when there is much more dangerous stuff going on.

And take a look at the YouTube videos of what daily crime is like in places like Guatemala, El Salvador or Brazil, and count your blessings.

Let me ask you, honestly: would you feel right about the police ignoring calls on carjackings, home intrusions, armed robberies, hostage situations while they painstakingly work on your little broken triangular window? -- No, sorry, we can't come stop a schoolgirl's rape in progress because we're dusting Mrs White's Tesla Model S for prints - she had a window broken.

They're right: your insurance is there to handle it. Or do you have a $1000 loss because you drive a $100k car with no insurance? Or because you could only afford comprehensive coverage with a $1k deductible? Or did you actually not suffer that $1k loss?

Give the insurance company the recordings and let them work out the cost/benefits of hunting down the punks if they have the resources.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: byeLT4 and X Fan
Go for a ride along with the police or take one of their community academies to see what it is like. Remember police have hourly jobs and are entitled to breaks and lunch hours like the rest of us. So when you see them at Starbucks they are most likely on their break or lunch.

It's clear the police can't do much, the incidence is too
high. So the question is what can WE do. It starts with
not considering our cars extensions of our private space.
We don't normally put valuables out in our front yards.
Don't keep tempting stuff visible or even in the car at all.
Keep the M3 seats down, use sentry mode, don't park
in thief watering holes, try to park in places w/ hired security
guards. Next step: draconian alarms. Then: citizen reaction,
including mob beating of thieves. Daily life in Brazil. I'm
not sure that bystanders here care enough, or that we're
quite ready for this level of chaos.

The M3 battery pack works at something like 300 volts.
Ample voltage to generate a "call to reason" for a thief ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: devilmountain
Geez, lots of hate for SF from people who either don't live here, or sound like they had to leave (and sh*tting on your ex is never a good look).

SF has its problems -- everywhere does. There is no utopia. But honestly, our problems mirror a lot of problems around the country (income inequality being the big one) and there's also a lot that is amazing here. We're the engine of the most valuable segment of the economy. This forum and Tesla WOULD NOT EXIST without the Bay Area. Housing is expensive because jobs pay so well, so many people want to live here, and unemployment is basically nil. Frankly, most of our problems are the downsides of success. The biggest issue with affordability here (and in all the successful corners of California) is housing. That problem really started with a ballot measure that passed in the 1970s. That and more smart analysis here: How Burrowing Owls Lead To Vomiting Anarchists (Or SF’s Housing Crisis Explained) – TechCrunch

The guy with the mask looking into your vehicle doesn't look like the same one that across the street. Defiantly two of them. Guy across the street has a darker hoodie and light colored jeans. Guy with mask had dark pants and a light grey hoodie. Time stamps from pictures across the street also indicate same time your guy is looking into a Prius and the other guy is looking into the orange Kia which is the one I'm assuming got broke into. But it might indicate better knowledge of the system.

The guys are definitely defiant ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Kilotango74
Geez, lots of hate for SF from people who either don't live here, or sound like they had to leave (and sh*tting on your ex is never a good look).

SF has its problems -- everywhere does. There is no utopia. But honestly, our problems mirror a lot of problems around the country (income inequality being the big one) and there's also a lot that is amazing here. We're the engine of the most valuable segment of the economy. This forum and Tesla WOULD NOT EXIST without the Bay Area. Housing is expensive because jobs pay so well, so many people want to live here, and unemployment is basically nil. Frankly, most of our problems are the downsides of success. The biggest issue with affordability here (and in all the successful corners of California) is housing. That problem really started with a ballot measure that passed in the 1970s. That and more smart analysis here: How Burrowing Owls Lead To Vomiting Anarchists (Or SF’s Housing Crisis Explained) – TechCrunch

It’s cute how SFers like to take credit for the work of SV.

I like the bay area. I loathe SF.

Yeah so SF is the only place I have that I know of where a $hit map has been developed to make people aware of the homeless situation. Poop map shows scale of San Francisco's human tragedy
Must be because of all those well paying jobs.

It’s cute how SFers like to take credit for the work of SV.

I like the bay area. I loathe SF.

Read it again. I credited the Bay Area, not San Francisco. San Francisco is only the historic, cultural, and for most of its history economic capital of the Bay Area. SV was just orchards until not that long ago. It took off bc of defense contracts at Stanford and was fueled by loose anti-compete laws. SF is now startup central. It's where most tech companies want to be. And it's not without its problems, but sh*tting on it doesn't make you superior. It just makes you shallow. LA and San Jose both have bigger issues with homelessness than we do, it's just not on the streets because we're a much more urban city. Doesn't mean we're failing harder than other places. It's just more visible.

(And yes, we have a poop map, which says as much about the culture of innovation as it does the poop problem, which is not good.)

It's where most tech companies want to be.

Yup. I've turned down a number of job offers because I do not want to work in the city. I'd have to either deal with constant insurance claims for my car or deal with the horrors of public transit.

And it's not without its problems, but sh*tting on it doesn't make you superior.

If sh*itting on SF made people superior, the data from the poop map suggests the denizens would be demigods by now.

It just makes you shallow.

Unquestionably a valid descriptor of me.

while they painstakingly work on your little broken triangular window?

It is not about solving this one break-in with a damage of $1000. It is about stopping another 100 crimes from the same thief and be a deterrent to his buddies who are thinking of getting into this profession. It is about increasing the quality of life in the city for the millions.

I bet you, if you put behind bars maybe a few dozen of them, these crimes would come down by 90%. It is the same set of individuals who are so brazen to do it over and over again in broad daylight.

Reactions: Sherlo
I try not to make bets in the absence of data.

Also, putting "a few dozen of them behind bars" is a surprisingly tall order. Consider the resource diversion it would take. Look at how difficult it was to even catch up to 2 in that TV clip. One was confronted and denied. The second one was un-findable. Meanwhile another broke into their equipment van. And that's even way before tackling the just constitutional "without a reasonable doubt" requirement for conviction. It's not that SF is nuts, or ideologically soft on crime. It's like high speed chases over a small time theft, you have to consider the real world cost/benefit ratio.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Sherlo