Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode catches door dinger and saves me $1000.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paging Naonak, one of the more bizarre takes I've read on here. ;)

OP, sorry, this was your fault. /s

upload_2019-4-22_9-55-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-22_9-55-19.png
    upload_2019-4-22_9-55-19.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Funny
Reactions: Runt8
And my wife is glad for it. It didn't censor speech. It censored the unnecessarily poor language. I wonder why can't people express a view without cursing like a drunken sailor? Yup I was a sailor so I know how bad that language can be :D

Agreed. Look, I occasionally drop the F bomb, also. In limited situations. But when did we get to the point where we can't use a little restraint in the way we communicate in common company?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
My 2014 doesn't have a side cam, thus no sentry mode. I recently acquired a ding, courtesy of an unknown and perhaps unsavory, low class, poor performing, unethical, degraded, corrupt, careless, and perhaps even scary excuse of a human being. I have no recourse. Some of you have sentry mode. In public...use it. Always.

That's what I thought but apparently when the car isn't moving only "acts of nature" are covered by comprehensive.
Hmmmm, I mentioned this to the wife just now as that sounds odd. She's processed thousands of claims from a lot of insurance companies over the decades. Her comment..... "What. Did the dog pee on it too?" That might be an act of nature :D This sounds like their insurance agent is making excuses not to process a "no fault" claim or help getting reimbursement. If a tree fell on it, then ok, but a person did this through either negligence or intent." So, did your agent tell you it was an act of nature? Maybe consider another company. ;)

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Thanks for sharing. We need to get the attention of these inconsiderate people.

I almost always park in the back of lots away from other cars REgardless of which vehicle I am driving. (Tesla or 2018 Ford Expedition). It amazes me how many people will park not only next to me but so close Ihave to pull out so my wife can get inthe car. Recently we finished grocery shopping and when we went to load the expedition there was a major scrap on the passenger rear bumper. Someone pulled in hit the rear passenger side of the quarter panel and left white scratches deep into the paint. P$%%^& me off.

Hmmmm, I mentioned this to the wife just now as that sounds odd. She's processed thousands of claims from a lot of insurance companies over the decades. Her comment..... "What. Did the dog pee on it too?" That might be an act of nature :D This sounds like their insurance agent is making excuses not to process a "no fault" claim or help getting reimbursement. If a tree fell on it, then ok, but a person did this through either negligence or intent." So, did your agent tell you it was an act of nature? Maybe consider another company. ;)

Agent here, and what the OP is saying is accurate. However, if I were his agent, I'd try to up the pressure on the company to file it as a hit & run, under uninsured motorist coverage.

Their agent is not trying to weasel out of a claim, but just stating the policy language. Based upon most insurance policy contracts, the definition of collision is: the upset of your covered auto or a non-owned auto or their impact with another vehicle or object.

The exceptions to that are things like hitting an animal, hail, falling objects, etc.

*Edit to add it looks like the other person's insurance is paying under liability which is best case scenario, and also will add an "at fault" claim on their record, which they deserve.

Last edited:
Yes, use it. You never know when someone is going to hit your car.
That sounds so simple... just chose the option, right? But... the thumb drive fills up in a couple of days depending on various factors. So several times per week, we are to remove the memory, delete it and reinstall?

I haven't hit the memory limit yet. What happens when the card is full? Will Dash Cam overwrite Sentry files? Will Sentry continue to overwrite sentry files?

This is such a valuable tool! Unfortunately, I continue to get corrupted files from both Sentry and DashCam. Obviously we need better file control. And wouldn't it be grand if we could review and delete files directly from the car's screen? (thought for a second there that one of the posters said this was possible on Tesla Stats app!)

This was the day after my OTA update and first time ever activating Sentry Mode. I set it just for fun as I parked in a fairly remote part of a near empty parking lot. Came back to my car and couldn't believe someone nailed my door! Was super excited when I found the clips showing the vehicle parking next to me(front camera caught this and recorded lic plate) then the culprit exiting her car and damaging mine. Repair estimate $1004.00 and my collision deductible $1000.00. Local police tracked down driver and now her insurance is covering damage...not me!

Hey ! how do you get alert videos ? would it be send to your TESLA app automatically ?

Agent here, and what the OP is saying is accurate. However, if I were his agent, I'd try to up the pressure on the company to file it as a hit & run, under uninsured motorist coverage.

Their agent is not trying to weasel out of a claim, but just stating the policy language. Based upon most insurance policy contracts, the definition of collision is: the upset of your covered auto or a non-owned auto or their impact with another vehicle or object.

The exceptions to that are things like hitting an animal, hail, falling objects, etc.
That's helpful, and she does not disagree. Only says that an agent sells the insurance and the claim processor is the one having to approve and pay it. Agree, try uninsured motorist hit and run. The domestic boss is just used to having too many claims processors trying to weasel out of paying claims. :) And she does tend to be even more sarcastic than me :eek:

So does the camera record constantly once in sentry mode? Wait, @Runnergirl said the front camera caught the license plate. How is that remotely possible unless the OP parked too close to her, damage resulting. Perhaps she meant rear camera or right rear facing. I thought recording started when there was a proximity alert. Proximity wouldn't have been until the car pulled in dangerously close to the car which would be after the license was out of view. When driver returned to car what was the indication recording (accident) took place?

So does the camera record constantly once in sentry mode? Wait, @Runnergirl said the front camera caught the license plate. How is that remotely possible unless the OP parked too close to her, damage resulting. Perhaps she meant rear camera or right rear facing. I thought recording started when there was a proximity alert. Proximity wouldn't have been until the car pulled in dangerously close to the car which would be after the license was out of view. When driver returned to car what was the indication recording (accident) took place?
Front and side repeaters record, not the back. Once an event is triggered, the event and the prior 10 min or so are all saved to a folder.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Front and side repeaters record, not the back. Once an event is triggered, the event and the prior 10 min or so are all saved to a folder.
Hmmm, so maybe I should consider to start backing up into parking spaces so the front camera can possibly capture a license plate or more information when an even occurs.

That sounds so simple... just chose the option, right? But... the thumb drive fills up in a couple of days depending on various factors. So several times per week, we are to remove the memory, delete it and reinstall?

I haven't hit the memory limit yet. What happens when the card is full? Will Dash Cam overwrite Sentry files? Will Sentry continue to overwrite sentry files?

This is such a valuable tool! Unfortunately, I continue to get corrupted files from both Sentry and DashCam. Obviously we need better file control. And wouldn't it be grand if we could review and delete files directly from the car's screen? (thought for a second there that one of the posters said this was possible on Tesla Stats app!)
Agreed, it’s not perfect and I’m sure it will continue to get better over time. (Fix recording issues, corrupt files, auto remove files, etc).

I use a 256GB micro SD card. I have very few recording problems or corrupt files and it will hold several weeks worth of data, even when parked at a busy spot like the airport.