Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, the only way is to pull the USB drive on which it's recorded and read it on a computer. Be sure to turn off any currently-ongoing recording before you do this, though.

Or read it on an Android phone using an OTG adapter. I just leave an OTG adapter in the car so I could check the flash drive immediately after returning to the car. It's harder on the iPhone as you need to buy a special flash drive (like iXpand) that provides an app to work with the iPhone. Also I think there are flash drives out there with WiFi built in.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Tesla insurance rates should keep dropping as insurance companies get used to Sentry and Dash cam videos.
There are a lot of comments in this thread about getting lower insurance rates because of this. We live in the People’s Republic of Washington. We have to carry “ under insured coverage” so our rates are often somewhat higher than other states.
But we recently sold our 1 yr old Subaru which cost almost $40k and bought our model 3 value $59k.
I was surprised our rates when down $170/ annum.
I questioned the person because of the value issue. He assured me it was because of the safety issues. He did recommend “gap insurance” and for $50/ annum I jumped at it.
M

The OP already posted that the police have reached out to the offending driver, a report is generated and then the insurance companies of both involved will hash it out. The OP's insurance company will recoup the costs from the others insurance. Unfortunately, the OP may be out of his deductible(?) I have been in fender benders where I am not a fault and my insurance company goes after ALL costs, to include my deductible. After all, "why" would I be punished for another's misdeeds??

Actually, I won't involve my insurance company at all. CT doesn't have "no fault" insurance. So, I'll make a 3rd party claim directly against the woman's insurance, since she's clearly at fault. I'll just need to negotiate how much they'll pay (that's why I already got an estimate).

Picked up the police report and just filed a claim with her insurance company. She did report it to her insurance company after the police visited her, which makes things a little easier. Adjuster is supposed to contact me in the next few days to look at the damage.

Police Report says she claims to have not known she hit my car. There was no "enforcement action" taken since it occurred on private property.

No, and you wouldn't want to. With UTC their is no issue with time zones and DST.

I am not sure what this means. I would want to change it as the time frames aren't accurate when i am looking for a specific time period of a recording. Now I have to go and do some conversion of the time frame?

i get maybe why Tesla wouldn't want to but i sure would want to personally.

Actually, I won't involve my insurance company at all. CT doesn't have "no fault" insurance. So, I'll make a 3rd party claim directly against the woman's insurance, since she's clearly at fault. I'll just need to negotiate how much they'll pay (that's why I already got an estimate).
Ahhh, I see. Sorry about that! Good luck with her insurance! Hope they are reasonable in your arbitration.

Picked up the police report and just filed a claim with her insurance company. She did report it to her insurance company after the police visited her, which makes things a little easier. Adjuster is supposed to contact me in the next few days to look at the damage.

Police Report says she claims to have not known she hit my car. There was no "enforcement action" taken since it occurred on private property.
That is typical, at least in Colorado. Police CAN write a ticket for Reckless or Careless Driving on private property, but typically don't unless they absolutely have to. In this case, sine the lady is cooperating, sounds like a fair deal.

Or read it on an Android phone using an OTG adapter. I just leave an OTG adapter in the car so I could check the flash drive immediately after returning to the car. It's harder on the iPhone as you need to buy a special flash drive (like iXpand) that provides an app to work with the iPhone. Also I think there are flash drives out there with WiFi built in.

Thank you so much for the info! I have an Iphone so I will deal with the flash drive issue.

I am not sure what this means. I would want to change it as the time frames aren't accurate when i am looking for a specific time period of a recording. Now I have to go and do some conversion of the time frame?
If I'm not mistaken the filename itself has your local date and time embedded into it. The file creation/modification time stamp is UTC. If you sort the filenames chronologically, they will be in the correct order.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA and Need
No, and you wouldn't want to. With UTC their is no issue with time zones and DST.

I think that woodguyatl may have been under the impression that the filenames used for the recordings use UTC. I'm pretty sure when I checked mine that they were in local time, so if I'm right, woodguyatl's comment is moot; however, he does have a point. Consider this scenario: You're driving west on a road trip (or you just live right next to a timezone line), and while in the more easterly time zone, you see an incident you want to keep on your dash cam, so you hit the "save" button. Then, a few minutes (but less than an hour) later, you cross the time zone and the local time shifts back by one hour. Then, precisely one hour (in real time) after you saved the first incident, you see a second incident that you want to save. With the filenames embedding the local time, the second saved incident will overwrite the first one, since the local times of the two incidents are identical. Something similar could happen if you're driving late at night in the autumn when a Daylight Saving Time shift occurs.

Of course, this scenario is a bit of a corner case, and as I've described it, that first incident couldn't have been all that important; if it had been, you would have pulled over, extracted the video from the USB device, and possibly been tied up filing a police report, going to a hospital, having your car towed, etc. Still, if you just hit the "save" button to save a beautiful sunset, striking local wildlife, some idiot driving unsafely (but not causing an accident), a dramatic meteor (a la Chelyabinsk), or whatever, that recording would now be gone.

One more caveat: My analysis assumes that Tesla's TeslaCam code wouldn't detect the filename collision and make appropriate changes. It could be that it's smart enough to rename the original saved recording or save the new one under another name. I live far enough from a time zone line that I can't test this easily myself, and I'm unmotivated to stay up until 2 am to test it during a Daylight Saving Time shift.

If I'm not mistaken the filename itself has your local date and time embedded into it. The file creation/modification time stamp is UTC. If you sort the filenames chronologically, they will be in the correct order.

I will give it another try but last night I attempted to sort by "modified date" and that wasn't accurate. I dont think I tried by file name. I will give that a go!

Good info here and glad you guys are sharing what UTC and scenarios. I certainly didnt make the connection.

I will give it another try but last night I attempted to sort by "modified date" and that wasn't accurate. I dont think I tried by file name. I will give that a go!

Good info here and glad you guys are sharing what UTC and scenarios. I certainly didnt make the connection.

Yup sort by Name will be the trick. Keep in mind the hour is in 24 hours format in the filename. Also if you sort them with the most recent files up on top, you could ignore the first 3 files (most recent 3). The next 3 files (at least one of them) will contain the "action" that trigger the saving of the event folder.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA and Cnasty
Good info in here. I was wading through so many files last night and parking in a busy parking garage it was a lot of just cars driving by.

Yeah there are about 30 files in the folder, 27 to 29 of them you don't really need. I think they only pick 10 minute to save because that's how the dashcam operates. For dashcam, if you have just have an accident, you are probably too shook up to remember to hit the camera icon to save. And you maybe trying to pull over to the side of the road. By the time you remember to hit save, 5/6 minutes probably already passed, so saving the previous 10 min makes sense.

But for sentry mode, I really don't see the point of saving 10 min of clips prior to the trigger. It seems overkill. I think they only do it because they could use the same software functions for both dashcam and sentry mode.. easy coding!

Reactions: Cnasty
Michigan doesn’t require front license plates. I’d have been screwed here. Unless the place was willing to offer up parking lot camera footage.
Does sentry mode record from the rear facing camera as well? With a wide enough angle, I might get the plate as they drive off.

i get maybe why Tesla wouldn't want to but i sure would want to personally.

I think that woodguyatl may have been under the impression that the filenames used for the recordings use UTC. I'm pretty sure when I checked mine that they were in local time, so if I'm right, woodguyatl's comment is moot; however, he does have a point. Consider this scenario: You're driving west on a road trip (or you just live right next to a timezone line), and while in the more easterly time zone, you see an incident you want to keep on your dash cam, so you hit the "save" button. Then, a few minutes (but less than an hour) later, you cross the time zone and the local time shifts back by one hour. Then, precisely one hour (in real time) after you saved the first incident, you see a second incident that you want to save. With the filenames embedding the local time, the second saved incident will overwrite the first one, since the local times of the two incidents are identical. Something similar could happen if you're driving late at night in the autumn when a Daylight Saving Time shift occurs.

Of course, this scenario is a bit of a corner case, and as I've described it, that first incident couldn't have been all that important; if it had been, you would have pulled over, extracted the video from the USB device, and possibly been tied up filing a police report, going to a hospital, having your car towed, etc. Still, if you just hit the "save" button to save a beautiful sunset, striking local wildlife, some idiot driving unsafely (but not causing an accident), a dramatic meteor (a la Chelyabinsk), or whatever, that recording would now be gone.

One more caveat: My analysis assumes that Tesla's TeslaCam code wouldn't detect the filename collision and make appropriate changes. It could be that it's smart enough to rename the original saved recording or save the new one under another name. I live far enough from a time zone line that I can't test this easily myself, and I'm unmotivated to stay up until 2 am to test it during a Daylight Saving Time shift.

I may be misunderstanding. My point is simply that using UTC avoids the possibility that the recording can not be used in a legal setting due to confusion over what time the recording occurred. Incidents that occur the 1 hour when time rolls back or immediately after crossing into a new time zone would be questionable. I've noticed that the time on my phone does not change immediately when crossing time zones. Rare cases to be sure.