Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Need

Help me out here. Just looked at another serious of clips (final minute for 3 cams from the folder) and I only see a car driving by, no people. I'm back to thinking my car is recording any motion that it sees - people or cars walking/driving by. Thanks, just trying to figure out what is normal..

If a car comes close enough to yours, it could trigger the recording event. I usually check the final 2 minutes for the trigger event.

@Need

Help me out here. Just looked at another serious of clips (final minute for 3 cams from the folder) and I only see a car driving by, no people. I'm back to thinking my car is recording any motion that it sees - people or cars walking/driving by. Thanks, just trying to figure out what is normal..

Look again and make sure it is the final FULL minute in the folder. It could be at the very end. I have look thru over 100 folders and so far I found a person in every single one of them. It doesn't record cars driving by for sure. If you can't find the person, try the newest partial minute or the next newest full minute. It is there, trust me.

If a car comes close enough to yours, it could trigger the recording event. I usually check the final 2 minutes for the trigger event.

Maybe it has to be really really close? I have cars parked next to me... but my camera is facing the passenger side and it does not trigger an event. I found that if I park head in on the right most parking spot, usually no event gets triggered.... because right side has nothing, left side is facing the passenger side of the other car... unless he parks back in.

Maybe it has to be really really close? I have cars parked next to me... but my camera is facing the passenger side and it does not trigger an event. I found that if I park head in on the right most parking spot, usually no event gets triggered.... because right side has nothing, left side is facing the passenger side of the other car... unless he parks back in.

Yeah, fairly close, My car caught a lot of events when I was parked by a curb the side of the street near the turning corner and several cars and motorcycles triggered it.

Look again and make sure it is the final FULL minute in the folder. It could be at the very end. I have look thru over 100 folders and so far I found a person in every single one of them. It doesn't record cars driving by for sure. If you can't find the person, try the newest partial minute or the next newest full minute. It is there, trust me.
@Need
Ok, one more try at this so I don't think I'm going crazy that my car records cars driving by with no people walking by. This is the last full minute. You can see my car flash the lights in the final few seconds of the recording, which aligns with when the car drives behind my car. I checked all the other clips and there is nothing that would apparently trigger.

What do you think? Could it have been something else?

And here are the clips from the entire folder:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f5SkweUhaP8hzKLo9

@Need
Ok, one more try at this so I don't think I'm going crazy that my car records cars driving by with no people walking by. This is the last full minute. You can see my car flash the lights in the final few seconds of the recording, which aligns with when the car drives behind my car. I checked all the other clips and there is nothing that would apparently trigger.

Watching paint dry is much more fun.

@Need

I believe that was the reflection on the tailgate on the truck parted in front of you. It thinks that there was something flashes pass the front of your car. I don't think it was from the 2 sides repeaters.

I think the software is trying to identify small moving objects (like head/hands) in front of your windshield close enough to be a person. So little moving lights may do it. Now that I have seen your videos, I realized that I have not used Sentry Mode in an indoor parking with lots of lights around. I always parked outdoor even at home. So maybe parking indoor, reflections could cause false triggers.

Last edited:
Not following you. You don't think it was the car driving by that triggered?

It's the car drove by behind your car, but I think if your did not park facing the flat surface of the tailgate, you probably won't get a saved event. It think it was the lights of the car driving by behind your car reflected on the tailgate of the truck that triggered the event saving. It also probably won't trigger if it was outdoor during the day.

Do remember it keeps the car from sleeping. Not a big deal if the airport is close, the trip isn’t too long, or there is a supercharger nearby. But something to consider.
Well, not sure if I'm over looking anything but I don't see it to be a big drain. My wife's out of town at an event. Sentry mode has been on and car parked 4/4 at 6:27 with 175 rated range. I looked about 10:30 today which is about 52 hours later, the car is at 152. If I do the math that's .44 miles lost each hour. Your mileage may vary.

Well, not sure if I'm over looking anything but I don't see it to be a big drain. My wife's out of town at an event. Sentry mode has been on and car parked 4/4 at 6:27 with 175 rated range. I looked about 10:30 today which is about 52 hours later, the car is at 152. If I do the math that's .44 miles lost each hour. Your mileage may vary.

Interesting. I haven't measure the power loss on our MX yet, but on the M3 it was about 1 mile/hour. And since M3 is more efficient than MX, MX power loss will be less than 1 mile/hr, but I didn't think it would be that much less. Maybe because normally M3 likes to be in deep sleep to reduce power loss while parked, but it can't do that in Sentry Mode. When accessing MX and M3 thru the app, MX always come up after a second or 2. M3 will take like 15 to 20 seconds normally unless it is in Sentry Mode than it comes up in 2 seconds.

I left my car at the airport for 127 hours. Sentry mode and a 2CH BlackVue on. Drain was 135 so 1.06MPH

It's the car drove by behind your car, but I think if your did not park facing the flat surface of the tailgate, you probably won't get a saved event. It think it was the lights of the car driving by behind your car reflected on the tailgate of the truck that triggered the event saving. It also probably won't trigger if it was outdoor during the day.
Ah I see what you are saying. Could be.

The insurance company adjuster came to my house to look at the damage this morning. I provided the ~$1300 estimate I got from a Tesla-certified body shop. He said it looked in-line with the damage he saw.

This afternoon the insurance company notified me that they’re mailing a check for the full amount of the estimate. I’ll have to call them and see if I can get some rental car reimbursement money. Especially since they sent me an email telling me that per CT law I’m owed rental reimbursement even if I choose not to rent a car.

Sentry Mode for the win! Definetly worth those wasted electrons to have it active in high risk areas.

The insurance company adjuster came to my house to look at the damage this morning. I provided the ~$1300 estimate I got from a Tesla-certified body shop. He said it looked in-line with the damage he saw.

This afternoon the insurance company notified me that they’re mailing a check for the full amount of the estimate. I’ll have to call them and see if I can get some rental car reimbursement money. Especially since they sent me an email telling me that per CT law I’m owed rental reimbursement even if I choose not to rent a car.

Sentry Mode for the win! Definetly worth those wasted electrons to have it active in high risk areas.

Having been a victim of a car break in back in 2017 where nothing was done to find anyone, I'm really happy to see you being made more or less whole by this. Of course time is lost pursuing and while in the shop but I'm sure there's at least some satisfaction in how it turned out. Not everyone will be as lucky. I saw a story in today's Teslarati about a Tesla owner who's side repeater captured the guy breaking his window and the front cam got him getting into a Honda and good view of the license plate too. Doubtful that SFPD will pursue even with the info at hand. When he turned the info into them they said they "might" follow up. His emphasis but for all of us who have filed reports we know that word has meaning or lack of effort.

BTW I'm pages behind I realize in reading your thread and wonder did this insurance check come from HER insurance company. If yours not quite the win as I would hope as they would need to fight it out with her company if she has one. -- OH just read your post a while back indicating police contacted her and you got her insurance info. N-I-C-E!!! For others who haven't read the whole thread:

Sentry Mode Catches Hit in Parking Lot

Last edited:
Having been a victim of a car break in back in 2017 where nothing was done to find anyone, I'm really happy to see you being made more or less whole by this. Of course time is lost pursuing and while in the shop but I'm sure there's at least some satisfaction in how it turned out. Not everyone will be as lucky. I saw a story in today's Teslarati about a Tesla owner who's side repeater captured the guy breaking his window and the front cam got him getting into a Honda and good view of the license plate too. Doubtful that SFPD will pursue even with the info at hand. When he turned the info into them they said they "might" follow up. His emphasis but for all of us who have filed reports we know that word has meaning or lack of effort.

I imagine the NYPD, or police in many large cities, would have a poor attitude/response to minor crime. Another reason it’s nice living in an area with low crime. The police have time to chase down stuff like this. And I think smaller towns/cities are better able to hold their police accountable.

The OP already posted that the police have reached out to the offending driver, a report is generated and then the insurance companies of both involved will hash it out. The OP's insurance company will recoup the costs from the others insurance. Unfortunately, the OP may be out of his deductible(?) I have been in fender benders where I am not a fault and my insurance company goes after ALL costs, to include my deductible. After all, "why" would I be punished for another's misdeeds??
Let’s have the OP tell us

OP - did you ever get any money from the offender or her insurance?

I imagine the NYPD, or police in many large cities, would have a poor attitude/response to minor crime.
Hmmm, a disturbing trend for me. In the 60s, the police would have tracked me down for soaping a car window on Halloween. Now that same department says they don't have time to pursue "some" auto issues like this. Do I dare guess the day will come that you report being shot, but authorities say "Well, you didn't die, so we don't have time to look into it?" Yes, it is stupid joke, but just how far do things like this go. ;)
I like the outcome of the OP issue :)