Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode - Depressing how many people open doors into the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, finally got a door ding big enough to write home about. Seem plenty of people bump their doors into mine but thankfully not had any lasting mark, up until today.

I parked my car at Stanstead for a week. And yes there’s always a risk parking there but for the most part people are sensible enough, exiting the vehicle before parking up, etc.

But there’s always one! Some lady (well, I don’t want to assume…) parked up. Threw the door into my car and kept it there while she took her big ass suitcases out of the side of the car. All the while the door was jammed up to the car and took a massive chunk of paint off! She looked at it, rubbed it, the f’d off. The car was still parked there when we got back so I left a note.

Does anyone know what to do in these situations? I see on whambam they make a report but sounds like that’s an American thing. I’m guess it might be a couple of hundred pounds to fix?

There are a lot of things you can do.
  • At home, park in your garage... Well, clean it out.
  • At work, scope out a good spot and always park there. There is a 30" concrete column between me and the next car.
  • Park further out. I'm looking for 10,000 steps a day anyway.
  • Park next to a handicap spot or handicap walkway. You get a 6 foot buffer.
  • In parking lots, park on an end spot against a curb. Crowd the curb leaving a lot of room on the other side of your car.
  • When you must park next to someone park on their passenger side of the car. Most cars only have one person.
  • Don't park next to large SUV's, trucks or junkers in general.
  • Park next to a 4 door car, 2 door cars have much longer doors.
  • Never park near were people return their shopping cart, or downhill from the shopping cart return area.
I've done this all my life, even when I was driving a 7 year old car.

Good points although one stood out as not helping my dads purchase in 1972.
Parked with a 4 door pulling in parking next to us.

Folks bought a new at the time Fiat 128. drove to the store with 30 miles on it.

A rusty dented Dodge Polara 4 door pulled up next to us, and kids in the back seat swung the door out hard... not only chipping the paint but putting a quarter sized dent in the new Fiats door then the "lady" driver did the same. So now 2 dents and missing fresh green paint.

My dad did not say a word.

His color changed to bright red though. Then got out of the Fiat and kicked the Polara's driver door caving it in completely.
Got back in the car, and again never said a word on the drive home.

I always think of that when parking the Y and usually park Way out by itself, if possible.

Oops... didn't notice this was the UK Ireland section - Oh well true story and Dad had predominately Scot / Welsh heritage.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMLBound
Well, I found the lady online as it was a company car with her company logo and website fully visible. I also caught her littering. So yeah, I’m going to file a report and if she doesn't contact me out of her own goodness (she's an "alchemist in the natural world" so not sure how much goodness there will be..), I'll at least know how to reach her.

Yikes, finally got a door ding big enough to write home about. Seem plenty of people bump their doors into mine but thankfully not had any lasting mark, up until today.

I parked my car at Stanstead for a week. And yes there’s always a risk parking there but for the most part people are sensible enough, exiting the vehicle before parking up, etc.

But there’s always one! Some lady (well, I don’t want to assume…) parked up. Threw the door into my car and kept it there while she took her big ass suitcases out of the side of the car. All the while the door was jammed up to the car and took a massive chunk of paint off! She looked at it, rubbed it, the f’d off. The car was still parked there when we got back so I left a note.

Does anyone know what to do in these situations? I see on whambam they make a report but sounds like that’s an American thing. I’m guess it might be a couple of hundred pounds to fix?
Commiserations. I'm guessing she has not responded to the note.

Reactions: QuanTim
Well, I found the lady online as it was a company car with her company logo and website fully visible. I also caught her littering. So yeah, I’m going to file a report and if she doesn't contact me out of her own goodness (she's an "alchemist in the natural world" so not sure how much goodness there will be..), I'll at least know how to reach her.
That's a good start. Can you upload the recording to her Twitter or Facebook account? Sounds like she is in the BS business.
Wishing you eventual redress.

That's a good start. Can you upload the recording to her Twitter or Facebook account? Sounds like she is in the BS business.
Wishing you eventual redress.
Thanking you! She hasn’t responded yet but because she was at the airport and had 3 MASSIVE suitcases, I’m assuming she’ll be away for a while. I will try to contact her via her website first to see if she acknowledges - but judging by the way she just looked at the chip, rubbed it, then walked off (after tossing a banana peel away), i’m guessing its going to be a battle. I’l give her the benefit of the doubt first, then go Hail Mary if she behaves as I expect she will (hoping that she proves me wrong).

Thanking you! She hasn’t responded yet but because she was at the airport and had 3 MASSIVE suitcases, I’m assuming she’ll be away for a while. I will try to contact her via her website first to see if she acknowledges - but judging by the way she just looked at the chip, rubbed it, then walked off (after tossing a banana peel away), i’m guessing its going to be a battle. I’l give her the benefit of the doubt first, then go Hail Mary if she behaves as I expect she will (hoping that she proves me wrong).
🤞Keep us posted Tim. A hassle you can do without.🤞

Hopefully @QuanTim solved this by now with the help of sentry.

This thread speaks to me in some way.

While an interesting feature I’m pretty sure most of us only use at the beginning of ownership, I’ve done the math and sentry costs me about 2000$ per year in electricity, because I have no solar.
Not worried about wasted battery cycles but more about the cost, because that exceeds my yearly full insurance including parking damage claims which would cost me 500$ each.

Now wondering if I weren’t better off not knowing if a neighbor or work colleague or random bloke hit my car, because I most likely can’t hold responsible as all I have is his/her face and not a license plate, sentry starting to film once dude jumps out of the car, not when they pull in.

So now wondering if personally im not better off not knowing all the daily random displays of disregard and carelessness for other people’s shiny new and expensive car.

How did it pan out?

I'd be interested to see the maths...

I get to £788/year @30p unit price if car was sat without being driven. Assuming 300W for car being kept awake.

.3kW x £0.30 x 24h x 365d

300W is based on general consensus for car not being standby. Personally I think it’s a little high, maybe 200-300W.

£0.30 is a ball park non discounted unit price - was worse in uk in last 12 months. Some won’t have access to home charging so may be significantly worse.

Assuming car is driven for 1 hr twice a day, that is ~90% when car would be on sentry not standby.

So about £700/year

Even halving that, it’s significant when compared to a decent dedicated dashcam albeit with no view of doors.