Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode Exclude Home....

ellisina4

Jul 1, 2016
Chicago
Hi all,
I did quite a lot of research here before posting... here is the issue with my wife's Raven 2019 MX LR:
- I always followed the following rule: never have anything in the car that has your home address info... including always storing your home address in Nav as the closest large intersection or an address that is a few blocks away. This is for a simple reason that if my car gets stolen, a person will not be able to open my garage by just pulling onto my driveway.
- lately I noticed that MX battery drains a lot more than usual and realized that Sentry mode have been activating on it own
- the issue I am having, is how to exclude the location inside the garage and not to have Sentry Mode activated there... while not having my immediate home address saved in Nav?
- also, is that possible to differentiate location inside the garage from the one just outside the garage on my driveway? That is if I leave the car outside and want to have Sentry mode On...
- this was not an issue before a few weeks ago so something may be caused by the latest software update.

Thank you

cobra

Feb 8, 2021
Lansdale, PA, USA
That is good security practice... I don't think Sentry is very good this way. You seem to need to turn it on and off manually in this case. Which kind of makes sense, unless the car knows the locations to enable/disable, you will have to manually override the sentry, for both the unknown home location and for the in/out of garage case.

jorobsand

Nov 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You could set your home address as "work" and then "Exclude Work" from the Sentry menu. I know you are still storing your home address in there but you may outsmart the dumb criminal who sees an empty address for home and doesn't think that your work address is worth driving to.

You could also set up a bunch of favorites if you haven't already and exclude those from Sentry. You could set a ton of addresses here that you are not likely to visit and also fool the criminal. No way for them to easily identify your house vs other random person. This approach wouldn't work though if you have legit favorites already set that you want to use Sentry at.

Reactions: Ronbo

Janus

May 30, 2019
Bay Area
Hi all,
I did quite a lot of research here before posting... here is the issue with my wife's Raven 2019 MX LR:
- I always followed the following rule: never have anything in the car that has your home address info... including always storing your home address in Nav as the closest large intersection or an address that is a few blocks away. This is for a simple reason that if my car gets stolen, a person will not be able to open my garage by just pulling onto my driveway.
- lately I noticed that MX battery drains a lot more than usual and realized that Sentry mode have been activating on it own
- the issue I am having, is how to exclude the location inside the garage and not to have Sentry Mode activated there... while not having my immediate home address saved in Nav?
- also, is that possible to differentiate location inside the garage from the one just outside the garage on my driveway? That is if I leave the car outside and want to have Sentry mode On...
- this was not an issue before a few weeks ago so something may be caused by the latest software update.

Thank you
Where do you keep your vehicle registration card? Most (if not all) states require it kept in the car, and most (if not all) states will print your address on that registration.

Another thing to consider, Teslas are much harder to steal than most other cars. Obviously, there are plenty of examples of people stealing them, but the actual risk is something to weight in here compared to the benefits. Especially with Sentry Mode now storing backup copies of videos in the MCU, it makes a Tesla far less interesting to steal.

cobra

Feb 8, 2021
Lansdale, PA, USA
Where do you keep your vehicle registration card? Most (if not all) states require it kept in the car [during operation], and most (if not all) states will print your address on that registration.
There, fixed that for you. ;) Smartest thing would be to carry it with you, instead of leaving it. But it's certainly easier to leave it in the car!

Janus

May 30, 2019
Bay Area
There, fixed that for you. ;) Smartest thing would be to carry it with you, instead of leaving it. But it's certainly easier to leave it in the car!
LOL, to each his own, I guess... For a car already hard to steal, I'm really not worried about this scenario.

Other than the cars (which are locked) I don't keep expensive things in my garage. I'd be far more annoyed by the insurance deductible (and the loss of my car) than the additional loss of the lawn mower.

Also, while garage break-ins are common, the scenario described here is really an edge case. Rather, the (by leaps and bounds) most common garage break-in method is by jimmying the emergency release from outside. Number 2, is crooks using a remote from a car parked in the driveway/street.

AlexParker

Aug 5, 2020
Denver, CO
Where do you keep your vehicle registration card? Most (if not all) states require it kept in the car, and most (if not all) states will print your address on that registration.

Another thing to consider, Teslas are much harder to steal than most other cars. Obviously, there are plenty of examples of people stealing them, but the actual risk is something to weight in here compared to the benefits. Especially with Sentry Mode now storing backup copies of videos in the MCU, it makes a Tesla far less interesting to steal.
Colorado gives you two registration cards. One has your address and one doesn’t. The second is for your car.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC