Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode for AP2.0 released!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least according to @Patrick W paging @Patrick W :)

Would love to see some Settings menu pictures and if anyone has had a chance to test it on AP2.0.

upload_2019-4-7_2-44-43.jpeg

Reactions: dbldwn02
I received the 2019.12 update -- but I can't get video to USB on my car. I have April 2017 Model X, AP 2.0, MCU 1. I suppose the videos are uploaded to Tesla, but they can't go on a local USB? I tried formatting the USB, but got small 595 byte files that don't play video.
View attachment 395843

Yea, it doesn't work right now. That's what everyone is getting. You actually don't need the USB stick at all for it "work" but we aren't sure whether Tesla is actually storing the recordings for sentry events.

I received the 2019.12 update -- but I can't get video to USB on my car. I have April 2017 Model X, AP 2.0, MCU 1. I suppose the videos are uploaded to Tesla, but they can't go on a local USB? I tried formatting the USB, but got small 595 byte files that don't play video.
View attachment 395843
That’s really interesting that it actually saved some sort of files to a USB stick, especially with those file names. Maybe us AP2.0 folk won’t be forgotten about or left behind and will actually get the proper sentry mode.

That’s really interesting that it actually saved some sort of files to a USB stick, especially with those file names. Maybe us AP2.0 folk won’t be forgotten about or left behind and will actually get the proper sentry mode.
That's what I'm hoping too! Either that, or just a bug or leftover code in the 2019.12 firmware. Since .12 tapered off, I suppose we'll see what comes in the next wide release.

It is important to note that my release notes didn't mention anything about USB, which differs from release notes for Sentry mode in 2.5 cars.

I highly doubt any video is uploaded for the same reason it's not able to write on the USB stick. The AP2 computer is missing a hardware video accelerator and this can't encode video in real-time. If it can't do that, it cannot create video files small enough to be written to USB. If it can't do that, it likely can't create and (intermediately) store video files for upload.

Plus the videos would only be black and white at best.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
I highly doubt any video is uploaded for the same reason it's not able to write on the USB stick. The AP2 computer is missing a hardware video accelerator and this can't encode video in real-time. If it can't do that, it cannot create video files small enough to be written to USB. If it can't do that, it likely can't create and (intermediately) store video files for upload.

Plus the videos would only be black and white at best.

I only disagree with your characterization of the video as "black and white." That is not accurate. It is RCCC, so it definitely sees red.

AP2 computer has the same video compression capabilities as AP2.5. Until recently all of Dashcam and sentry were run exclusively on the primary cpu node in AP2.5 cars. The APU can handle it. If there is a weak link it is somewhere else.

This is true. I think the change happened with 2019.8.3 from what verygreen stated. Apparently Tesla also patched some holes in their security with that firmware.

As a follow up, has anyone had additional experience with Sentry mode on AP 2.0 hardware, other than what was already posted above? Does anyone's car actually write the video to the flash drive, or has anyone successfully retrieved their Sentry videos which were "uploaded to Tesla?"

I thought the cameras / sensors since Oct 16 2016 were the same as today. That is why they can upgrade to FSD computer if you bought/will by the package...
AP 2.0 camera is red/clear, 2.5 onward is color.
Plus the front facing radar has a shorter range on AP2.0 versus AP2.5, along with lacking additional wiring redundancies (like the additional steering wheel vibration).

Reactions: FMinMI