Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SentryView app was just released!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 256GB SSD. Wish this would work with that instead of requiring the SanDisk. I wonder why it will only work with the SanDisk?
I was wondering the same thing, but then see that it is a wifi USB stick and the app probably requires Wifi to work. And I speculate that the app isn't going to communicate with it if the USB stick isn't on Wifi like at home or work or a public wifi.

I was wondering the same thing, but then see that it is a wifi USB stick and the app probably requires Wifi to work. And I speculate that the app isn't going to communicate with it if the USB stick isn't on Wifi like at home or work or a public wifi.
That makes sense, but seems odd to limit the functionality like that. But I'm not an App developer, so what do i know?;)

That makes sense, but seems odd to limit the functionality like that. But I'm not an App developer, so what do i know?;)
I shot the developer a note asking why SanDisk was needed and got the following response. Sharing for those that are curious.

"SSD does not plug in to iPhone. It needs an adaptor. Every adapter is proprietary and requires their own SDK. If I supported your adaptor (assuming that it has a public SDK, which almost certainly it does not), someone else would have asked me to develop it for another proprietary adaptor."

Makes sense, I use an adaptor, so now I understand it would have to be developed for each adaptor. I may consider switching so I can use this app.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The SanDisk USB Wifi is an AP itself. It has a battery built-in to provide wifi connections (~2 hrs).
You can download SanDisk's app to view the files including TeslaCam videos but its only and single screen.
You switch your wifi network to it once you press the button on the side to turn it on. Yes it has to be unplugged from the USB port before you can turn on the wifi AP. While plugged into the USB it charges the battery.
This setup allows you to immediately view the videos in the car. I believe theres a SanDisk app for both iOS and Android.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CIEBXZG
But I'm not sure if it works with this app.
I was looking at this one as well, so I just emailed the developer to see if this would work. Here's his response:

"No, each adaptor requires its own proprietary SDK. There isn’t a working public one. It really needs to be the one that I listed and absolutely nothing else."

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
So I think others have said no it doesnt. This one specifically works with the wifi version.
But alas, the wifi version doesnt have much bandwidth and I just tried to look at videos using it’s own app and it failed to stream all thumbnails with 1 week’s worth of videos. I dont know about this app but it can’t seem to work right with it’s own.

So you’ll get better performance with the lightening version but this app doesnt support it.

The SanDisk USB Wifi is an AP itself. It has a battery built-in to provide wifi connections (~2 hrs).
You can download SanDisk's app to view the files including TeslaCam videos but its only and single screen.
You switch your wifi network to it once you press the button on the side to turn it on. Yes, it has to be unplugged from the USB port before you can turn on the wifi AP. While plugged into the USB it charges the battery.
This setup allows you to immediately view the videos in the car. I believe there's a SanDisk app for both iOS and Android.

This was exactly what I was thinking because it is how the older ones work.
So if you have to remove it from your usb hub every time to view it.. what's the point.
You might as well get a usb flash drive you can plug into your phone. They make ones that have usb and lightweight on them

It defeats the whole point if you ask me.

Please don't buy the $50 64G one on Amazon - you are getting ripped off. You can buy the same drive from Sandisk for $25. You can probably get by with the 16G but the 128 or larger is overkill.
If you just go to Sandisk Connect you'll only see the 16, 128 and 256G models. But if you click on the magnifying glass and search for Connect 64GB you'll find a bulk package one for $25 - just won't be in a pretty package.
SanDisk Online Store - SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick - 64GB (Bulk Packaged)