Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin for Rear Drive Unit "clunk"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car still at service center. My phone keeps getting notifications. This doesn't sound good:

IMG_6328.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: David99
This is from 2015. I think they got that fixed by now.

I might hold the sad record of having the 7th drive unit in my car. Had to be replaced every 15k miles. I finally got a new and good one that has been holding up perfectly for about 50k miles now.

Not failures? What then?

Pro-active service to prevent a failure that might never happen. (But the noise would get annoying.)

We have a cab company using Model Ss around here and they had one that sounded like a Jetson's car, it wasn't going to sneak up on you, when it went by because they hadn't taken the time to take it in and get the DU replaced. Eventually that Model S got in an accident and they got the DU replaced while it was getting body work done.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Not failures? What then?
Malfunction? Problem? Fact is, a milling problem is not reducing capability of your DU, it is just an unwanted noise. Think back to ICE days. Would you say "engine failure" because you had valve noise? No. You'd say "it needed service". You got service. Instead of 2 hours adjusting valves, you got a swap. How is this different? Now, I would NOT fault you for saying you have had a chronic malfunction or problem with DU. Failure - related to a car engine - has a much more ominous meaning.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Update: it is 2:12pm, we were supposed to head home for the 900mi return leg of the trip at 8am this morning. Car has been in service all day so far. DC charger fail, hi voltage device fail, other charge boxes fail, basically the whole chain from chargeport to battery is on the fritz. No idea when we're leaving here. One scenario is they give us a loaner to drive all the way home, then they flatbed our car 900mi to home and flatbed the loaner back. Insane. Hopefully it won't come to that.

. . . It came to that.

We wound up being at service center until 4pm, they replaced all the guts of the car and still no joy. At 4pm they said basically they'd need to keep the car until Monday at least as Fremont engineering support closed over weekend. So we were given a new loaner to drive to New Mexico in . . . from San Diego.

They gave us a brand new Model X P100DL :)

But we had to stop at supercharger in San Diego in order to make it to El Centro in the X. Took 40 min to wait in line to get a charger.

We'll be starting out on trip in a few minutes. 10 hours late. Going to be a lonnnnngggg night.

Sometime next week in theory they will put our car on a truck and ship it to NM and collect the X and take it back to SD. Insane for all parties, but we're so grateful to Tesla SD for being so flexible with everything.

How did you find this? Is there a link you can share where you can see all of the bulletins for a specific model? I couldn't find it, if it exists.

Go to
Recalls

You want to search by vehicle and not vin if you want to see everything.

And enter year make model in the search box. You don't have to enter all the information. You will get a list - one column is manufacturer communications. Most of those are Service Bulletins.

Entering "Tesla" generated 60 results.
Entering "2015 Tesla Model S" generated 7 results.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
Question to those who have experienced the drive unit "clunk" - how loud and how often?

My 2013 S85 just started making a clunking sound in the rear upon normal acceleration from a stop. Doesn't always happen (maybe about 50% of the time) and sounds/feels similar to the front clunk when the AC kicks on.

Thanks in advance!

We replaced drive units for the "clunk" and "milling". If you have a clunk definitely reach out to Service before there is a failure.

Yeah....I have a running disagreement with my service center. About 3 months ago a very noticeable "clunking" /knocking came from rear drive units. Service center keeps telling me this is "normal". I persisted with a friendly disagreement at the service center while my car was there until they changed story to "this is a known condition and engineering is conducting investigation". But they refuse to change any parts and say it is "safe". sigh.....ongoing drama

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna