Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us that really have it, it is not when cold or sometimes - it is vibrating so badly your let of that speed pedal as you are afraid something will give - it is NOT subtle.
Then it's two separate issues. Here's what they did at service senter when it was fixed on my P85DL.

Attachments

• 15718429206841455709574919956352.jpg
    15718429206841455709574919956352.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 258
I had this service bulletin completed on my S75D and so far the problem has been fully resolved. :) Tesla did however return my car to me with some of the suspension bolts so loose they were about to fall off. So glad I didn't hit any big potholes before noticing this, and taking the car back for a re-work. :(

I had this service bulletin completed on my S75D and so far the problem has been fully resolved. :) Tesla did however return my car to me with some of the suspension bolts so loose they were about to fall off. So glad I didn't hit any big potholes before noticing this, and taking the car back for a re-work. :(

How did you notice this? Noise or loose?

Couldn’t get my SC to do the work on my S75D. Was it very noticeable for you?

How did you notice this? Noise or loose?
Pure luck. I had the SB done right before loading our cars up for shipment to our new home in CA. The truck driver pointed it out to me upon delivery, since he noticed it while strapping down the car. Here's a photo of what he saw, and the Tesla re-work noted that they tightened "multiple" loose bolts.

upload_2019-11-27_11-17-31.png

Couldn’t get my SC to do the work on my S75D. Was it very noticeable for you?

It was extremely noticeable, and I had brought the car in three times for the noise in past years.

Just had this partially performed on our 4-month-old Raven S Standard Range with ~6500 miles (05/2019 build date). I say "partially" because they replaced both half-shafts but no mention of the clevis mount on the December 4th invoice.

I brought it in due to a chattering/ticking/croaking sound during moderate acceleration, didn't require WOT. The S would accelerate and then I'd hear the croaking/chattering for a second or two. Easily reproducible at any speed, any temperature. Tech rode in the passenger side while I drove. As soon as he heard it he suspected half shafts, although he said my issue is not the same as "shudder" because the rest of the car did not vibrate, at all. He did say it was the first Raven he'd seen afflicted. Once parts were in, the service is listed as needing two hours but the SC budgeted four hours. They told me about the new policy and potential for $97.50 diagnostic fee but that was waived when they figured out it was the half-shafts and not just my imagination.

The S has been perfect after the new half-shafts. No more chattering during acceleration and the front drive unit is distinctly quieter during operation and regen. There is a thread about Raven permanent magnet front motors having a higher-pitch and louder whine compared to pre-Raven, and I agree compared to several 2018 S 75D loaners. After the new half-shafts though, I feel our Raven S front motor is quieter than before and quieter than pre-Raven front motor. It is so quiet now sometimes I can't hear the electric motor whine during normal acceleration or regen. Love our S and the folks at the Rocklin, CA SC!

EDIT: Just noticed the invoice indicates left and right half-shafts are different generations. Not really sure what to make of that.

SmartSelect_20191218-203034_Drive.jpg

Just had this partially performed on our 4-month-old Raven S Standard Range with ~6500 miles (05/2019 build date). I say "partially" because they replaced both half-shafts but no mention of the clevis mount on the December 4th invoice.

I brought it in due to a chattering/ticking/croaking sound during moderate acceleration, didn't require WOT. The S would accelerate and then I'd hear the croaking/chattering for a second or two. Easily reproducible at any speed, any temperature. Tech rode in the passenger side while I drove. As soon as he heard it he suspected half shafts, although he said my issue is not the same as "shudder" because the rest of the car did not vibrate, at all. He did say it was the first Raven he'd seen afflicted. Once parts were in, the service is listed as needing two hours but the SC budgeted four hours. They told me about the new policy and potential for $97.50 diagnostic fee but that was waived when they figured out it was the half-shafts and not just my imagination.

The S has been perfect after the new half-shafts. No more chattering during acceleration and the front drive unit is distinctly quieter during operation and regen. There is a thread about Raven permanent magnet front motors having a higher-pitch and louder whine compared to pre-Raven, and I agree compared to several 2018 S 75D loaners. After the new half-shafts though, I feel our Raven S front motor is quieter than before and quieter than pre-Raven front motor. It is so quiet now sometimes I can't hear the electric motor whine during normal acceleration or regen. Love our S and the folks at the Rocklin, CA SC!

EDIT: Just noticed the invoice indicates left and right half-shafts are different generations. Not really sure what to make of that.

View attachment 489905
And I just received this from the SC txt system:

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 9.09.48 AM.png

Very odd considering that it "looks" like from other posts that the Raven and non-raven got the same part #'s. hmmmmmmm

And I just received this from the SC txt system:

View attachment 490039

Very odd considering that it "looks" like from other posts that the Raven and non-raven got the same part #'s. hmmmmmmm

@boonedocks, I should clarify that SC first ordered the parts and they arrived Dec 4th. When they started working on my car that day they realized the shipment contained the wrong part in the box. At first, I wondered how the part could be incorrect but now it makes sense based on what you shared. So they kept my car an extra day while they overnighted the proper part and all was good to go the next day (Dec 5th).

I had this SB done on my P85DL last week. I don't know what good/bad feels like, but it was noticeable to me from the day I picked up my car used in mid-October. The tech that rode with me on drop off said he didn't notice much of it, but it was also raining. He was nice, but when I mentioned I suspected a clevis mount, he said he thought that was only for the X, and that it didn't feel very abnormal to him. I will say that it didn't feel like the car was going to come apart, but they performed the SB anyway.

upload_2019-12-19_10-16-55.png

Did anyone who had this repair completed find the car performed better or differently?

my acceleration/torque has been limited. I read that there was a firmware that also occurred with the 1/2 Shaft/Clevis Mount. When I floor it (xP100D) the acceleration curve is much smoother. I am not thrown back into my seat as I was prior to the “fix”. Also on the freeway I notice I do not have as much passing power as I used to. I also read that the acceleration while in Low/Very Low suspension setting was not affected, only if it was in Normal/High. This is false as I always ride in Low. Extremely frustrated and starting to research this more before I go back to the Costa Mesa SC and raise hell. I bought this car for its acceleration so to have it limited w/o my consent or knowledge is in my should be illegal.

I am having the same issue woth my charging speed as I can’t charge past a rate of 108kw. I supercharge every day due to the amount of distance I drive each day. They capped it to protect the battery.

issue is none of this was brought to my attention when I was purchasing e car and I was very clear about my driving habits (lead foot) and driving distance per day (200mi+), and I was assured the car would have no issues.

my acceleration/torque has been limited.
How do you know it has been limited, just by how you feel. That is tough to prove. I am sure there is something that you can measure the acceleration and take Tesla to task. Also the SW upgrade they can do it without your permission. There is a loophole they have, which is they can update the maps without your consent but in that process they can also update other car parameters which needs your explicit permission. I know this for sure because they updated my map once and all other functions were also reset/changed in the process probably by accident, including driving modes.
Kim

My car went in for the mount/halfshaft replacement on 12/9. I got it back 12/11. New software 12/12. I don't think I feel a difference in speed, but who knows.

Just swapping the clevis mount will keep the half shafts from failing as it is the root cause, but if your half shafts have already started to fail, they will still need to be replaced. They may just not get any worse.