Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a quick search of this thread, I see no mention of tire wear in relation to this issue. Has anyone else had issues with tire wear? My two front tires have really uneven wear on both the inside and outside edges of the tires (really desperately need to be replaced, actually). I've got just over 20K miles on the car. The rear tires appear to be fine, though one had been replaced due to punctures.

I hadn't really cared too much about the shudder itself, but if this problem is shredding my tires as well, then it's time to schedule a service.

After a quick search of this thread, I see no mention of tire wear in relation to this issue. Has anyone else had issues with tire wear? My two front tires have really uneven wear on both the inside and outside edges of the tires (really desperately need to be replaced, actually). I've got just over 20K miles on the car. The rear tires appear to be fine, though one had been replaced due to punctures.

I hadn't really cared too much about the shudder itself, but if this problem is shredding my tires as well, then it's time to schedule a service.
I think you are talking about two different things. The reason you aren't finding threads is because shutter and tire wear are mostly unrelated.

I had the half-shaft/clevis fix 2 days ago and asked for a check on brakes and general lookover since my S is 1 year old. They did a wheel alignment and adjusted the distortion found with a comment that they do go out of alignment with use. 1yr old car with 12K miles.
I have no idea how that compares with other vehicles but i don't recall ever havng a car needing aligment check/adjustments before (or showing odd tyre wear).

So either a very conscientious service centre or finding reasons to charge the customer or bad design???

strange. It should have taken 3 hours to change out. That's what it takes up here at the Reno facility. Maybe you needed something else done?

He said they were behind. I don't think the work took that long. I did have them check the alignment as I had new tires installed 2500 miles prior and wanted to make sure the tires were wearing normally. The end results was they checked the alignment and measured tire wear. They said all was good and didn't charge me anything. I felt pretty good about that. They could've done nothing and charged me for an alignment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The TSB doesn't mention air suspension at all. And the description of the problem: "Older versions of the Model S and Model X LH front drive unit clevis mount contain a bushing that allows the front drive unit to move side-to-side more than expected during hard accelerations, resulting in excessive vibrations coming from the front drive unit during hard acceleration."

So unless the coil cars had a different clevis mount then the TSB should apply to them too. (And the clevis mount is the cheapest and easiest part of the TSB.)

Service Center is now saying the service bulletin has not populated for my car specifically so it doesn't apply. Even though I had a technician verify the issue, the service center doesn't want to do the bulletin repair. Any idea how I can get them to take care of this issue? Seems like it's been really easy for everyone else.....

Service Center is now saying the service bulletin has not populated for my car specifically so it doesn't apply. Even though I had a technician verify the issue, the service center doesn't want to do the bulletin repair. Any idea how I can get them to take care of this issue? Seems like it's been really easy for everyone else.....

Ask them again nicely and if that doesn't work file an arbitration case with the NCDS.

Reactions: glusc2002
I have mine scheduled (just waiting for parts to come in). They didn’t appear to question it either, I just put in a schedule for brownish DRLs and shudder under hard acceleration (and noted the bulletin).

Tesla had my car for a few days (they had other stuff to do in addition to this request). I mentioned to them that I feel a vibration on hard acceleration on the highway (not during any other time). They had a couple of techs take my car out and they determined that they do not notice any shuddering which would be noted in the service bulletin. They made sure to inform me that they know very well what the shudder issue would experience and that they almost never see this issue on 75D models. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unless I'm experiencing something else then I will just keep an eye on it.

Anyone else with Raven Performance who have noticed the shudder on hard accelleration? I had the exact same on my P85DL. Mine is easy to reproduce in cold weather on first and second accelleration, then it's almost gone (very faint) until car is cold again.

I am pretty sure this happens because of the stress/angle on the axle/mounts when the front rises during hard accelleration. Will test again in Sport suspension mode.

Last edited:
Anyone else with Raven Performance who have noticed the shudder on hard accelleration? I had the exact same on my P85DL. Mine is easy to reproduce in cold weather on first and second accelleration, then it's almost gone (very faint) until car is cold again.

I am pretty sure this happens because of the stress/angle on the axle/mounts when the front rises during hard accelleration. Will test again in Sport suspension mode.

I notice it on my Raven. Suspension is Low/Sport all the time. The shudder happens about 75% of the time on a WOT pull. I *think* (haven't confirmed conclusively) it mostly happens when cold - after repeated WOT runs I am pretty sure it goes away. I'll test once the weather clears up here...

Yep I have a P+L Model S Raven with the issue as well. Only on certain days and only before everything is “warmed up”.

It is hard to reproduce on demand but I have recorded it, as I have in the past, but now they don’t accept videos....must be experienced by a Service Technician. So I guess I’ll have to wait until it is reproducible in demand to get it fixed.

I think a batch of Ravens early on may have been produced before the permanent fix was brought in to production.

Tesla had my car for a few days (they had other stuff to do in addition to this request). I mentioned to them that I feel a vibration on hard acceleration on the highway (not during any other time). They had a couple of techs take my car out and they determined that they do not notice any shuddering which would be noted in the service bulletin. They made sure to inform me that they know very well what the shudder issue would experience and that they almost never see this issue on 75D models. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unless I'm experiencing something else then I will just keep an eye on it.
I definitely get it on my Feb 2018 75D. I only really notice it when it's cold out. Seems like the cold is a major contributing factor in the last few posts.