Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center no longer giving loaner cars outside of 50-mile radius?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came here to check if my experience is "normal". Seems like it is...Ugh. The heater in my car has been broken, as in absolutely no heat, for a month now and Tesla has completely reneged on a big part of why I was able to buy this car. It is my only car, so the loaners I was promised for non-ranger repairs is critical. Best they have offered me is to drive myself over 300 miles round-trip and I can have a rental car to "explore Columbus" for a day. But the rental has to be returned as soon as the car is done.

Unless they can charge it while they repair the heater (not likely), there is no way to come home same day. And I don't have time for any of this. Here's to driving a full priced luxury car while wearing full winter gear to keep from freezing to death!

I really need the loaner program back, Tesla.

Nicest car I've owned previously was a Honda, but I've seen many luxury "Courtesy Vehicles" driving around town from Lexus, BMW, etc. -- thought that was normal.

Came here to check if my experience is "normal". Seems like it is...Ugh. The heater in my car has been broken, as in absolutely no heat, for a month now and Tesla has completely reneged on a big part of why I was able to buy this car. It is my only car, so the loaners I was promised for non-ranger repairs is critical. Best they have offered me is to drive myself over 300 miles round-trip and I can have a rental car to "explore Columbus" for a day. But the rental has to be returned as soon as the car is done.

Unless they can charge it while they repair the heater (not likely), there is no way to come home same day. And I don't have time for any of this. Here's to driving a full priced luxury car while wearing full winter gear to keep from freezing to death!

I really need the loaner program back, Tesla.

Nicest car I've owned previously was a Honda, but I've seen many luxury "Courtesy Vehicles" driving around town from Lexus, BMW, etc. -- thought that was normal.

Just have them send you a ranger to fix it out there. So convenient.

Just have them send you a ranger to fix it out there. So convenient.

This doesn't work if the Ranger can't fix the car in his driveway, or at his office. The change to the loaner program is not good. If they have to take the car back to the Service Center and it's his daily driver/only vehicle it just doesn't work.

It seems to me that the #1 priority is to sell the "loaners" especially toward the end of the quarter. This is why they want to keep them "close." It's great if you're looking for a good deal on an MS "loaner." Not good at all if you're a customer who thought loaners would be available to you.

I just had my S in for the 12,500 service. I live 140 miles from the service center and I have the 4 year service/ unlimited Ranger service plan. They picked up my car and left me with a loaner Performance Plus 85 with all the bells and whistles on Monday. Wednesday, they trailered my S back to me and picked up the loaner. The service experience was great. They fixed the few minor things on my checklist, they did a few service bulletin fixes and they even replaced my key fob and charging cord because they appeared worn ( they weren't giving me any issues). My only "complaint" is they were so efficient at completing my service, I only got the P85+ for two days.... man, that was a blast to drive! There was no mention of limits of loaner range. I was talking to the Ranger about tinting the back windows. He said I should look locally first for quotes, but if I couldn't find someone I liked they could do it. His quote: "It would be a good excuse to get the P85+ again".

I just had my S in for the 12,500 service. I live 140 miles from the service center and I have the 4 year service/ unlimited Ranger service plan. They picked up my car and left me with a loaner Performance Plus 85 with all the bells and whistles on Monday. Wednesday, they trailered my S back to me and picked up the loaner. The service experience was great. They fixed the few minor things on my checklist, they did a few service bulletin fixes and they even replaced my key fob and charging cord because they appeared worn ( they weren't giving me any issues). My only "complaint" is they were so efficient at completing my service, I only got the P85+ for two days.... man, that was a blast to drive! There was no mention of limits of loaner range. I was talking to the Ranger about tinting the back windows. He said I should look locally first for quotes, but if I couldn't find someone I liked they could do it. His quote: "It would be a good excuse to get the P85+ again".

That's great, and I don't want to affect your ability to have this level of service keep happening. I've been told by Columbus exactly what Kenneth was told above. He's doing this real time right now so the "rules" obviously haven't changed. We've both dealt with the Columbus Service Center manager since the day they opened and he's all about customer service. There's no way he would arbitrarily implement a policy that would inconvenience, or anger his customers. I hope the policy gets clarified quickly.

That's great, and I don't want to affect your ability to have this level of service keep happening. I've been told by Columbus exactly what Kenneth was told above. He's doing this real time right now so the "rules" obviously haven't changed. We've both dealt with the Columbus Service Center manager since the day they opened and he's all about customer service. There's no way he would arbitrarily implement a policy that would inconvenience, or anger his customers. I hope the policy gets clarified quickly.

I understand the policy guideline has always been there, but Service Managers have discretion how and when to use it. Don't doubt that your local guy wants to continue doing the best he can, he may simply be being forced back onto the policy due to resource constraints (loaner cars and employees) as the business grows. Tampa recently expanded greatly (3x the previous size) and even has a "Porter" whose job is to deliver loaners and fetch customer cars as well as covering detailing and cleaning (and I can testify he does a great job!).

I'm guessing your local service manager will happily be providing service above and beyond again as soon as he has resources to do so.

It seems to me that the #1 priority is to sell the "loaners" especially toward the end of the quarter. This is why they want to keep them "close." It's great if you're looking for a good deal on an MS "loaner." Not good at all if you're a customer who thought loaners would be available to you.

I agree and this has always bothered me a bit. When the loaner program was first announced, I was under the impression loaners would be fully-loaded vehicles supplied with two goals in mind:
a) Providing a memorable, industry-leading experience for owners bringing their Model S in for service work and...
b) Possibly convincing those current owners to upgrade their existing cars to a higher-margin model

I did NOT think purpose of the loaner program was to sell them as fast as possible to any Joe Citizen (with no existing Tesla connection) that comes in off the street looking to "jump the queue"!

What was sold to us as a value-added feature really just turned into a way for Tesla to sell a few more vehicles at the expense of serving their existing customers. :mad:

IMO, Tesla needs to start keeping loaners as loaners. If they want to sell them, it should only be to existing owners looking to upgrade.

While I'm ranting about Tesla trying to make a fast buck, what's the deal with these "end-of-quarter" pushes? Sacrificing quality control in order to squeeze out a few more cars as fast as possible to pad an earnings call is something I despise in other companies and I thought Tesla was above it. If they're that desperate to move cars, then they (and, by extension, we) are in big trouble. Glad my car will be delivered in April/May (well into Q2)

Last edited:
I'm guessing your local service manager will happily be providing service above and beyond again as soon as he has resources to do so.

Please don't get me wrong. I have always been and still am a pathetic fanboy. The folks at Columbus have been superb. The manager is the best customer service oriented individual I have ever worked with in anything auto related. I truly can't say enough good about him. I also know KKlabunde personally. He's in a pretty clear situation where he could really use a loaner. He's also not the type to ever take advantage. Definitely not a whiner. I hope (and believe) that you're right and these are just ongoing growing pains that we'll get straightened out.

It is my only car, so the loaners I was promised for non-ranger repairs is critical.

It's not clear to me whether you're paying for ranger service, and this is just a repair that has to be done at the shop (in which case, that still counts as ranger service, as long as they come to pick up your car. IMO), or if you are expecting free valet service 300 (or 150?) miles from the service center. If the former, then I agree, Tesla should bring you a loaner when they pickup your car. I'm not sure what their actual policy is on this, though.

Tesla made good in the last 2 days (no surprise coming from the Columbus service center). They are sending out an Enterprise rental car to keep me warm on my daily commute, and a ranger is coming to pick up my Tesla and take it back for the repairs. Yes, having the whole heating system go out is apparently not an easy in-your-driveway kind of fix. I have zero need for a Model S as a loaner, so this solution from them is fantastic and just what I needed! Thanks, Danielle and the rest of the Columbus team!

My service is also coming soon, I was waiting for detroit service center to open. Lets see what happens I have the 4 year anywhere plan. Lets see how it goes for me. I am 180mi from Columbus,OH service center.

I got a reply saying that if they have a loaner available they will be happy to provide me with one otherwise asked me if I was okay with a rental.

My service is also coming soon, I was waiting for detroit service center to open. Lets see what happens I have the 4 year anywhere plan. Lets see how it goes for me. I am 180mi from Columbus,OH service center.