Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual Subscriptions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, since the inverter will apparently allow drive w/o any signals from the BMS, all that's needed is contactor closure. That's available by a hardware line on the pack connector. (apparently used by Tesla service tools)

You could make a dongle that plugs into the motor and tells it what it wants to hear, just like Jack's "Hack Team" did and then jumper the contactor closed.

I should probably stop giving people ideas. =)

Well, since the inverter will apparently allow drive w/o any signals from the BMS, all that's needed is contactor closure. That's available by a hardware line on the pack connector. (apparently used by Tesla service tools) You could make a dongle that plugs into the motor and tells it what it wants to hear, just like Jack's "Hack Team" did and then jumper the contactor closed. I should probably stop giving people ideas. =)

S'okay, people have already thought of this and far more. From simply clipping a canbus monitor set to "monitor all" onto an innocuous, out-of-the-way place during a firmware update, to cloning the IMEI and putting the SIM into a phone and capturing remote unlock messages, etc...

Things will get interesting once secondary-market owners with no warranty and no reverse-engineering restrictions start getting hold of the cars. Casting a wider net, I'm sure the Gen2 Rav4 EV and Merc B EV owners would love to unlock the full performance of their Tesla drivetrains, for instance...

That would be one thin thief.

Is it that exposed?
Yup, there is a connection easy to access under the car, without needing to jack it up. All you have to do is
redacted.png

I originally blabbed it out, but came to my senses and redacted it. =)

Tried it with a real pack... doesn't work. I had gotten this info back when I got my first pack for my solar project and was still deciding if I should keep the pack intact or not.

Still need digital comm to allow this line to function.

The contactor driver/economizing circuit is part of the BMS board also, so just throwing power at them doesn't really work well.

Well, if you remember the BMW fiasco in Europe, it's pretty scary. Someone built a device that made it easy to make a key for late model BMW's and thieves were driving them away en masse.

There's a big difference between someone ballsy enough to pull up with a tow truck and someone stealthily (and silently) driving your MS away in the middle of the night.

I have obtained a manual as I am a Mass resident.

Is there a way to save the entire manual for later viewing. I have a 24 hour access license...

Use wget or similar: Make Offline Mirror of a Site using `wget` | Guy Rutenberg

- - - Updated - - -

From what I understand, the agreement you agreed to when you signed up for access specifically prohibits you from doing that.

If it's for your own personal use, that falls under "fair use" I would think.

Is there a way to save the entire manual for later viewing. I have a 24 hour access license...

From what I understand, the agreement you agreed to when you signed up for access specifically prohibits you from doing that.

Did anyone here ask for legal advice, anyone? We all know that the only reason Tesla is even offering these documents for limited review is because they were forced to do so by law in the State of MA. Tesla will not be damaged in any way by someone saving a copy of the manual on their computer. Now back to the discussion...

Unfortunately it's a difficult question to answer without having access because it depends a lot on the format they are presented in, how the login is handled, etc.

wget is a great tool, but it has limited ability to deal with scripts and different authentication methods,
tools that automatically flip pages and do screenshots are neat, but the end result is sub-optimal, and they count on a lack of scrolling, or at the very least, a consistent amount of scrolling
text copying relies on the manual being in a text form rather than image.

It also depends just how much data there is to get, for small amounts the easiest answer is often to just bite the bullet and spend a bunch of time manually saving pages, for larger amounts you might never finish.

Where I might start would be a semi-automated solution, check to see if your browser cache is storing it, and if so, increase your cache size as much as you can and manually visit as much as you can, don't read it, just click through as quick as you can, then copy the cache to another location when done.

Unfortunately it's a difficult question to answer without having access because it depends a lot on the format they are presented in, how the login is handled, etc.

wget is a great tool, but it has limited ability to deal with scripts and different authentication methods,
tools that automatically flip pages and do screenshots are neat, but the end result is sub-optimal, and they count on a lack of scrolling, or at the very least, a consistent amount of scrolling
text copying relies on the manual being in a text form rather than image.

It also depends just how much data there is to get, for small amounts the easiest answer is often to just bite the bullet and spend a bunch of time manually saving pages, for larger amounts you might never finish.

Where I might start would be a semi-automated solution, check to see if your browser cache is storing it, and if so, increase your cache size as much as you can and manually visit as much as you can, don't read it, just click through as quick as you can, then copy the cache to another location when done.

They do not make it easy in the least (by design obviously)

I used wget but it does not bring back a whole heck of alot, the only pages that are html based are the ones that are "view printer friendly version" pages.

thanks for the info by the way!

Screen capture software can record the entire desktop screen as a movie. That's one easy way. Or you can take individual screenshots. It also depends on the format it's delivered to you. May be a way to capture a PDF or something somehow. Might require digging into the source code of the web page.