Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service question; how to charge AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S which had a break in the AC line that runs from condenser to compressor (torn right at the head of condenser where it is way too close to the tire as per the design...

Anyways, I've replaced the hose/line but now trying to charge the system and I can't get the compressor to come online to facilitate that process.

Anyone know the proper TESLA procedure for recharging AC? Do I need to get into factory mode or something like that?

Did you ever find the answer to this? I think I may have to service the AC on my P85 and was curious if there is a specific way to do it. Service manual says you need to use Toolbox but I wonder if I can charge it without that.

I assume you've pulled a vacuum on the system and it's holding. Did you loose any oil in the hose replacement? Anyhow I'd see if the compressor is twelve volt or high voltage. If it's twelve volt continue by bypassing the connector and jump the compressor off the 12V battery to turn it on. If it's high voltage
take it to Tesla.

I assume you've pulled a vacuum on the system and it's holding. Did you loose any oil in the hose replacement? Anyhow I'd see if the compressor is twelve volt or high voltage. If it's twelve volt continue by bypassing the connector and jump the compressor off the 12V battery to turn it on. If it's high voltage
take it to Tesla.
Pretty sure its a high volt compressor. Unfortunately Tesla won't touch my car since its salvage. This is why I am seeking the DIY way.

If the system is empty the compressor will not start. You need to attach the coolant can to the valve and with pressure from the can the compressor will start and suck in the remaining coolant. At least that's how it worked in the old days.
I agree and am well versed on how to charge the AC on an ICE car. Just wanted to see if anyone tried it on a Tesla and if there was anything different.

Like I said the service manual explains needing to go into the cars diagnostic menu and selecting "Refrigerant Fill" from the menu etc. I don't have access (yet) to this diagnostic menu so I am wondering if there is another way.

For anyone considering the DIY route, please remember that it’s an electric compressor and even trace contamination with conventional compressor oil will kill it. Preferably you would use a new set of hoses / gauges that have never touched conventional compressor oil.

If you can’t do that, at your own risk, you can try to flush your hoses and gages repeatedly with AC flush solvent and hope for good luck.

But A/C compressors die on all vehicles, and the repair costs are higher for some ICE cars.

All true. But after more than 30 years of owning multiple cars at a time (currently 7), I have never had an AC compressor fail until recently on my model S. Not complaining, but it does seem that the Tesla compressors are less durable. Btw, a new Tesla AC costed me only $1200 including labor, which is quite reasonable.

Reactions: BigPenny
It stands to reason that a Tesla AC compressor might have a shorter average service life, due to its double-duty nature of cooling the cabin and the battery.

If an ICE AC compressor had to cool the engine in addition to the cabin it wouldn’t last as long either.

Of course this type of usage should be factored into the design of the compressor or the choice of an existing manufacturer’s part, whichever case may apply (I don’t know if the compressor is a Tesla design or an existing unit.)

It stands to reason that a Tesla AC compressor might have a shorter average service life, due to its double-duty nature of cooling the cabin and the battery.

If an ICE AC compressor had to cool the engine in addition to the cabin it wouldn’t last as long either.

Of course this type of usage should be factored into the design of the compressor or the choice of an existing manufacturer’s part, whichever case may apply (I don’t know if the compressor is a Tesla design or an existing unit.)

I think that's a logical reduction, but I am not sure that is true. I mean, does an AC for a small house last longer than one for a large house? Or does and AC for a refrigerator without a freezer last longer than one with fridge/freezer combo? My experience with these things would indicate no. In any case, Tesla could have and should have designed an AC with a duty cycle appropriate for its intended demands (battery and cabin, if that was an issue) and made it lasts for at least 10 years, I think. I am not complaining about it, just wanted to make sure that our reasons are correct when we give excuses for Tesla’s subpar performance. Cheers!

The compressor they used up to 2014 was a Denso ES34C which was widely used in other hybrids/electrics including Toyota and MB.

I don’t know which model was used in newer MS’s. If it fails early (I don’t know if that’s true) it’s not the compressors fault.

The compressor they used up to 2014 was a Denso ES34C which was widely used in other hybrids/electrics including Toyota and MB.

I don’t know which model was used in newer MS’s. If it fails early (I don’t know if that’s true) it’s not the compressors fault.
Not disagreeing with you. It is certainly not the compressor’s fault if they had sourced it from Denso or other suppliers, but it is Tesla's responsibility to source one that would meet the demands of the car they had designed, I would think. Again, not complaining and love the Model S we have.

Anybody know how many Tons the Tesla Model S ac has or is capable of? I have heard it has around 60 tons...A house is on average around 2.5 to 4.0....so if true, I would assume most of that is geared to cool the battery.....so who makes a compressor that size if true and what is the MTTF and MTBF as compared to a normal ICE car compressor....

I know most home ac scroll compressors were made in Shelby North Carolina and they were considered the best....Just wonder what if Tesla is using them to make their equipment....Emerson now owns Copeland I think