TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Service question; how to charge AC?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricLove, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

I have a Model S which had a break in the AC line that runs from condenser to compressor (torn right at the head of condenser where it is way too close to the tire as per the design...

Anyways, I've replaced the hose/line but now trying to charge the system and I can't get the compressor to come online to facilitate that process.

Anyone know the proper TESLA procedure for recharging AC? Do I need to get into factory mode or something like that?

2. ucf_motorcycle

Did you ever find the answer to this? I think I may have to service the AC on my P85 and was curious if there is a specific way to do it. Service manual says you need to use Toolbox but I wonder if I can charge it without that.

3. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I assume you've pulled a vacuum on the system and it's holding. Did you loose any oil in the hose replacement? Anyhow I'd see if the compressor is twelve volt or high voltage. If it's twelve volt continue by bypassing the connector and jump the compressor off the 12V battery to turn it on. If it's high voltage
    take it to Tesla.

4. ucf_motorcycle

Pretty sure its a high volt compressor. Unfortunately Tesla won't touch my car since its salvage. This is why I am seeking the DIY way.

5. Don85D

Don85D Member

If the system is empty the compressor will not start. You need to attach the coolant can to the valve and with pressure from the can the compressor will start and suck in the remaining coolant. At least that's how it worked in the old days.

6. ucf_motorcycle

I agree and am well versed on how to charge the AC on an ICE car. Just wanted to see if anyone tried it on a Tesla and if there was anything different.

Like I said the service manual explains needing to go into the cars diagnostic menu and selecting "Refrigerant Fill" from the menu etc. I don't have access (yet) to this diagnostic menu so I am wondering if there is another way.

7. Cram collision

On my model s I just pulled a vacuum and charged the correct amount after a condenser replacement and had no problem with the ac working.

8. ucf_motorcycle

Awesome that is good to know. So you just vacuumed the system and when you were ready to recharge I assume you just turned the AC down to low and the compressor turned on once you started adding refrigerant?