Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service question; how to charge AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know how many Tons the Tesla Model S ac has or is capable of? I have heard it has around 60 tons...A house is on average around 2.5 to 4.0....so if true, I would assume most of that is geared to cool the battery.....so who makes a compressor that size if true and what is the MTTF and MTBF as compared to a normal ICE car compressor....

I know most home ac scroll compressors were made in Shelby North Carolina and they were considered the best....Just wonder what if Tesla is using them to make their equipment....Emerson now owns Copeland I think

good lord! 1 ton of cooling is about 3500 watts. 60 tons would be 210 kW or so...

Anybody know how many Tons the Tesla Model S ac has or is capable of? I have heard it has around 60 tons...A house is on average around 2.5 to 4.0....so if true, I would assume most of that is geared to cool the battery.....so who makes a compressor that size if true and what is the MTTF and MTBF as compared to a normal ICE car compressor....

I know most home ac scroll compressors were made in Shelby North Carolina and they were considered the best....Just wonder what if Tesla is using them to make their equipment....Emerson now owns Copeland I think
Interesting. I kept the old broken Tesla compressor and plan to open it up when I have time to kill. It is comparable to a typical car AC compressor in size. I have a 5 tons AC for my house and that compressor is about 3 times the size if the tesla’s and maybe 10 times more heavy. If I have to guess, I would guess that my home AC co.pressor is much more powerful than Tesla compressor. So, it seems unlikely to me that the Tesla AC is 60 tons. But just a guess though.

My compressor broke after 4 yrs from new. Apparently this is a problem with most Teslas. 3k To repair is not mY cup
Of tea for an 80k vehicle. Pretty sick of my purchase.

Both the condensers on my 2015 S P90D broke recently after close to 5 years and 75k miles (119 000km). Took it to the local service center as I suspected that there only had to be made a refill of coolant gas, and an easy fix. The service center concluded that both condensers had corroded (lots of salt on roads in winter probably caused it), causing a leak resulting in the breakdown. I was quite shocked that the condensers broke so early in the lifetime of the car, as I also drive a 2007 Saab 9-5 with more than 150kmiles on the meter that have never had any issues with the AC.
I claimed that this should not happen this early, and stood my ground on that this kind of component should not have corroded at such an early time in the life of the car and they agreed to take another look into if this could be covered under goodwill or if I had to pay for the repair my self. The technician said he would check with his supervisor and call me back shortly, but I never heard from him again. The next day I got a message that my car was ready for pickup so I went to pick it up.

Luckily for me the car was less than 5 years old (by a few days), and we are covered by extensive consumer protection laws here in Norway, resulting in me not having to pay a dime for the repair. Everything was taken on goodwill by Tesla.

See image for details

-PC
Screenshot 2020-09-18.jpg

I agree and am well versed on how to charge the AC on an ICE car. Just wanted to see if anyone tried it on a Tesla and if there was anything different.

Like I said the service manual explains needing to go into the cars diagnostic menu and selecting "Refrigerant Fill" from the menu etc. I don't have access (yet) to this diagnostic menu so I am wondering if there is another way.
Any update on how you got around filling the refrigerant?

I had mine refilled and used a normal AC guy, Made sure he was using the correct stuff from the service manual.

No toolbox needed and it's been good for over a year now, this was both condensers and pipework change.
Can you please elaborate more on your experience? I know which gas and oil to use and in what quantity as that is mentioned on sticker under frunk.

You had Model X or S? Do you know if HV battery or 12v battery or first responders plug need to be removed prior to refill? I’ll definitely be going to a pro car AC guy but I’m not sure he will have experience of doing it on an EV. Any precautions to take specific to an EV?

Can you please elaborate more on your experience? I know which gas and oil to use and in what quantity as that is mentioned on sticker under frunk.

You had Model X or S? Do you know if HV battery or 12v battery or first responders plug need to be removed prior to refill? I’ll definitely be going to a pro car AC guy but I’m not sure he will have experience of doing it on an EV. Any precautions to take specific to an EV?
The difference on EVs (and many hybrids) is that the compressors are electric and not belt driven. The refrigerant and oil is very sensitive to contamination and will short out the compressor if the wrong oil is used …or even if AC gauges and hoses with trace amounts of forbidden PAG oil are used…. He should have a dedicated set of gauges/hoses just for use with POE based oil. I believe model S use POE ND-11 oil but would look for stickers under the hood / on the compressor to confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: Dannietjoh
The difference on EVs (and many hybrids) is that the compressors are electric and not belt driven. The refrigerant and oil is very sensitive to contamination and will short out the compressor if the wrong oil is used …or even if AC gauges and hoses with trace amounts of forbidden PAG oil are used…. He should have a dedicated set of gauges/hoses just for use with POE based oil. I believe model S use POE ND-11 oil but would look for stickers under the hood / on the compressor to confirm.
Thank you for this.

Any other precautions that I need to be aware of when regarding AC in EVs? Do we need to disconnect HV battery, 12v battery or first responders loop before doing this?

Model S P85D, car had front end crash so I replaced both condensers and some pipework.
Called a local AC guy who came out to me , he'd done a couple of teslas and confirmed the correct gas etc.
Didn't disconnect the 12v or HV loop.
He filled it then made me run the AC for 10 minutes.
It's been fine for over a year, ice cold air con and superchargers fine.
I'm in the UK so quite a cool climate.
The AC guy said its just the same as most cars with as above , an electric ac pump.
£200 all in

Model S P85D, car had front end crash so I replaced both condensers and some pipework.
Called a local AC guy who came out to me , he'd done a couple of teslas and confirmed the correct gas etc.
The AC guy said its just the same as most cars with as above , an electric ac pump.
£200 all in
That’s so great to hear that it can be done without going to Tesla SC. I have a Model X 2017 so hopefully it won’t be that much different than yours. Hope to get it fixed soon from a third party shop. Just trying to find the right shop with right equipment.

Reactions: GazMav
£200 all in
Sorry to bother you again but can you tell me if he filled the gas while AC was running or not?

Did he add the ND-11 oil as well?

Thank you for this.

Any other precautions that I need to be aware of when regarding AC in EVs? Do we need to disconnect HV battery, 12v battery or first responders loop before doing this?
Don’t disconnect the battery or 12V. The Tesla service center would use Toolbox (their software) to put it into recovery mode or filling mode. Indy shops won’t have that, but typically you would set the car to maximum cold to get the compressor to run while filling it. The exact process isn’t super important- what I’m trying to convey is that they will want the car and AC functional during the procedure.

Reactions: taimurasad
£200 all in
Hi @GazMav , I'm also in the UK. I was wondering who your AC guy was and where he is based? I'm in need of a refill at best, and compressor replacements at worst. I'm in Surrey.

Thanks,

Will.

I was about to take my car to a third-party shop to re-fill my AC, and before I did that thought I'd look at the service manual, tried to follow instructions and got the car into the "Thermal Fill Drain" mode, unfortunately I see no way to get out of it. My car now shows "Refrigerant system needs commissioning" alert. Does anyone know how to commission the HVCAC system? Is toolbox3 needed for that? I can't find any info online.

Thanks!