Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing the Tesla in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the owners manual it states:
"Service Intervals
Regular maintenance is the key to ensuring the continued reliability and efficiency of your Model S.
Rotate the tires every 5000 miles (8000 km) (except on Performance Plus models), maintain the correct tire pressures, and take Model S to Tesla at the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals of every 12 months, or every 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. It is also important to perform the daily and monthly checks described below.
Model S must be serviced by Tesla-certified technicians. Damages or failures caused by maintenance or repairs performed by non- Tesla certified technicians are not covered by the warranty.
"
I intend to bring it in once a year as I am unlikely to do 20,000 Km a year. The price for a regular service in the USA is $600 plus you can buy packages but these have not yet been announced in Australia. There is a Service Centre in Sydney with one being built in Melbourne as we speak. If you live a long way from a service centre they have The Ranger service but that's at extra cost.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Interesting additional data from Nathan at Tesla Melb Service Centre regarding tyre rotations.

You need to check that your car/build has symetrical tyre ie. mine has 245 R 21 all round. Therefore is theoretically rotatable BUT..... Each rim has a locational RFID sensor on it the tell the car where the wheel is in the traction/brake array. If one goes of the K Mart tyre and Auto or someone like that they will dutifully rotate but bugger up your setup and the the drive system goes into panic thereafter. The Cars MPU has to be reset to reallocate rim to position data including tyre pressure data.

In my own case, to prevent this trauma, Ive booked my car ( approx 9000+ Kms already ) in with Tesla Richmond in 3-4 weeks( their guesstmate opening date ) to inspect tyres rotate and check balance in one action.

Why Rotate Tyres?

Hi Guys,

Interesting additional data from Nathan at Tesla Melb Service Centre regarding tyre rotations.

You need to check that your car/build has symetrical tyre ie. mine has 245 R 21 all round. Therefore is theoretically rotatable BUT..... Each rim has a locational RFID sensor on it the tell the car where the wheel is in the traction/brake array. If one goes of the K Mart tyre and Auto or someone like that they will dutifully rotate but bugger up your setup and the the drive system goes into panic thereafter. The Cars MPU has to be reset to reallocate rim to position data including tyre pressure data.

In my own case, to prevent this trauma, Ive booked my car ( approx 9000+ Kms already ) in with Tesla Richmond in 3-4 weeks( their guesstmate opening date ) to inspect tyres rotate and check balance in one action.

Why do we need to rotate tyres? I thought that kind of thing went out with crossplys.

Tesla Richmond? YiPPY!

Hi Guys,

Not if you want optimal life from the tyres. On my other cars I have different size front to rear and directional tyres. You rotate them sized to side and have the tyres reversed on the rims...

I suppose I must drive differently, as my tyres wear pretty evenly on left and right. Front and rear wear differently, of course, so I just get a pair replaced when they wear out. The only time I have rotated tyres is when I bought one separately as a result of a puncture - I moved it around to try to even up the wear with the other tyres.

I'm a bit confused about the directional tyres - my unidirectional tyres have to be fitted on the rim in one particular direction - so I can't reverse them on the rim.

I suppose I must drive differently, as my tyres wear pretty evenly on left and right. Front and rear wear differently, of course, so I just get a pair replaced when they wear out. The only time I have rotated tyres is when I bought one separately as a result of a puncture - I moved it around to try to even up the wear with the other tyres.

I'm a bit confused about the directional tyres - my unidirectional tyres have to be fitted on the rim in one particular direction - so I can't reverse them on the rim.

The tyres on performance cars often wear the inside edges because of the camber in the suspension.
Directional tyres have an arrow indicating the rotation and so they must be reversed on the rim if you swap left to right or vice versa.

Hi Guys,

Thanks Keiron. I have rotated my wheels myself 2 weeks ago. No warning yet :) fingers crossed. I must have been lucky with the positioning when mounting the wheels back

Thanks Keiron. I have rotated my wheels myself 2 weeks ago. No warning yet :) fingers crossed. I must have been lucky with the positioning when mounting the wheels back
Hi Oystero. Curious to know what procedure and equipment you used when rotating your tyres.
Or anyone else who hase done the tyre rotation on their Model S.

• Are they the standard 19" or?
  • Did you rotate front to back for each side or cross-over front to back or?
  • Did you raise one side of the car to swap or completely raised or?
  • What capacity Trolley Jack and Jack Stands or?
  • Any other relevant info?