Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. If you do a filter for Chademo and another for Tesla Superchargers on PlugShare, there are far more Chademo chargers available. And they’re not going to remove the existing ones in the near future.
It takes a lot of charger locations when your old Leafs have deteriorated to a 40 mile range. Shout out to Nissan for air cooling their batteries!

Got my CCS adapter yesterday and looked at making sure the firmware was up to date. Have never seen a more complex process for updating a device. When you plug the device into your computer it isn't recognized and the processes to update are blocked by your web browser as being risky behavior. Decided to hold off on going further. Has anyone had their virus software pick up anything as a result of the processes of updating the CCS adapter? Heading to Ohio today and looks like the Mt Gilead Supercharger is completely down based on the last two comments on Plugshare. There is a EA station 10 minutes from my hotel and would be nice to get juice there instead of going 50 miles to the Polaris SC.
Crazypostman on youtube has tested these things many times. Contact him at [email protected] and ask him your questions. (This is his youtube email address)

Reactions: drift
Got my CCS adapter yesterday and looked at making sure the firmware was up to date. Have never seen a more complex process for updating a device. When you plug the device into your computer it isn't recognized and the processes to update are blocked by your web browser as being risky behavior. Decided to hold off on going further. Has anyone had their virus software pick up anything as a result of the processes of updating the CCS adapter? Heading to Ohio today and looks like the Mt Gilead Supercharger is completely down based on the last two comments on Plugshare. There is a EA station 10 minutes from my hotel and would be nice to get juice there instead of going 50 miles to the Polaris SC.
My virus software didn't pick up anything after installing the tools. That way I look at is, is that from a business standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense for malware to be included. You infect a computer with a virus to be able to make money in some way. They already made considerable money when they sold you the adapter. It's in their best interest not to risk that profit line.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Got my CCS adapter yesterday and looked at making sure the firmware was up to date. Have never seen a more complex process for updating a device. When you plug the device into your computer it isn't recognized and the processes to update are blocked by your web browser as being risky behavior. Decided to hold off on going further. Has anyone had their virus software pick up anything as a result of the processes of updating the CCS adapter?
My virus software didn't pick up anything after installing the tools. That way I look at is, is that from a business standpoint, it wouldn't make any sense for malware to be included. You infect a computer with a virus to be able to make money in some way. They already made considerable money when they sold you the adapter. It's in their best interest not to risk that profit line.
Yeah, but Setec might not know their software is infected.
Being in the software development world, I can tell you why virus software may many times raise alarm about software from small foreign makes, even when it doesn't actually contain malware. Many times these companies don't bother to digitally sign their software. Code signing is a way to make it easier to detect if there were unauthorized modifications to software (like how viruses and malware piggy back on other software) or if it was software that was not actually released by the publisher (trojan horses that look like legit software).
Code signing - Wikipedia

As for Setec, it seems you have to install the driver for it work and you must manually check which port the adapter is connected to (look in your device manager).

Being in the embedded development world, this kind of thing is routine. The only surprise is that they want you to use a windows binary (windows requires this oddball "install a USB driver" dance and won't let a simple program talk to a USB device directly) and didn't give you Linux tooling.
The market share of Linux is still too low for these device makers to consider. And it's even more true in China (where the main company is located for this adapter), where even Mac doesn't make a big enough dent for them to bother (USA OS X market share is drastically higher).

Desktop Operating System Market Share United States Of America | StatCounter Global Stats
Desktop Operating System Market Share China | StatCounter Global Stats

The firmware update method that is most straightforward is if the device presents itself as a mass storage device, then basically any OS will have generic drivers that work, and then you just copy and paste the firmware file into the drive, kind of like how this lens adapter firmware update process works:
VILTROX Lens Firmware Update (2021-03)

The current firmware update methods most use were likely just carried over from what they would have used if computers still had RS-232 serial ports (I'm sure they would prefer this if this was still an option).

• Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
The market share of Linux is still too low for these device makers to consider.
Interestingly that's actually not true at all anymore in this field. Bigger players (in a relative sense, e.g. companies like STMicro or NXP) generally have a windows SDK for their parts with some kind of IDE or whatever. But all the smaller players are heavily linux-focused in the modern world. Microsoft's story for how to connect a PC to SomeRandomGadgetIBuilt gets weaker and weaker every year. Almost all serious work with new USB microcontroller apps starts on linux at the development level now, with windows support added late in the process once they start pushing to consumers.

• Informative
Reactions: TydalForce
This thread is approaching 600 replies. Has someone compiled a list of which models of CCS chargers have been proven to work on which models of Tesla and at what speeds?
SETEC has been releasing periodic firmware upgrades which can be displayed and installed via a micro USB port improving comparability. It also seems to vary between Tesla Model and year. Since charging companies may be supplied by different companies there well may be variability between charger types from the same service.

I’m up here in Canada as well, close to Calgary and a good amount of my planned routes don’t have super chargers, so a backup would be nice. With chademo and CCs both being available at all charging sites, I was going to go with chademo, but now it’s sold out on Tesla so I’m leaning towards ccs so I can have it for this summer.
Does the setec adapter come with the v150 or do you have to upload it after purchase ?
According to Customer Support at SETEC via email, they ship with the latest firmware installed... most of the time. There may be an update releasex and an adapter has already been packed for shipping. They said that doesn't happen often.

Calling Chademo dead is silly. Right now if you have a leaf you can go a LOT more places than a Tesla SR could...unless the Tesla owner has a Chademo adapter.

Just sayin.
Agree CHAdeMO isn't dead, but in our travels across the United States we do encounter some DCFS locations with CCS only. The biggest downside to the SETEC adapter is that it works less universally than the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and needs to recharged at least monthly. On the other hand, it actually available for purchase which has not been the case from Tesla of its CHAdeMO adapter for more than a year.

Being in the software development world, I can tell you why virus software may many times raise alarm about software from small foreign makes, even when it doesn't actually contain malware. Many times these companies don't bother to digitally sign their software. Code signing is a way to make it easier to detect if there were unauthorized modifications to software (like how viruses and malware piggy back on other software) or if it was software that was not actually released by the publisher (trojan horses that look like legit software).
Code signing - Wikipedia

As for Setec, it seems you have to install the driver for it work and you must manually check which port the adapter is connected to (look in your device manager).
Agree CHAdeMO isn't dead, but in our travels across the United States we do encounter some DCFS locations with CCS only. The biggest downside to the SETEC adapter is that it works less universally than the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and needs to recharged at least monthly. On the other hand, it actually available for purchase which has not been the case from Tesla of its CHAdeMO adapter for more than a year.
I purchased a CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla a few weeks ago. they came back in stock with limited supply and sold out quickly

SETEC has been releasing periodic firmware upgrades which can be displayed and installed via a micro USB port improving comparability. It also seems to vary between Tesla Model and year. Since charging companies may be supplied by different companies there well may be variability between charger types from the same service.

OK so add another column of data. My point is it would be handy to have a public list of working and not working combinations.

OK so add another column of data. My point is it would be handy to have a public list of working and not working combinations.
People here can open a Google spreadsheet and start populating the fields like how many threads here do in terms of car deliveries. The manufacturers might have to jump the wall to view it (Google is banned in China as far as I know), but it'll still be useful for people here in the USA.