Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok let’s look at someone other than EA — when EVGO added Tesla support, which connector got booted out of the main cabinet? I doubt that was random selection.

View attachment 673778
It doesn't mean what you think. The EVgo Tesla support is literally a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter bolted on the side. It only works when the CHAdeMO cable is plugged in on the side. So, of course, that becomes its holster and the Tesla handle holstered in the main cabinet.

Ok let’s look at someone other than EA — when EVGO added Tesla support, which connector got booted out of the main cabinet? I doubt that was random selection.

View attachment 673778
It's because the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with longer cable is in the box. See PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, as an example. They put a plate screwed on by 4 screws (that some folks said is 3D-printed) as the holster for the smaller Tesla connector.

At my local Walmart, on one of the DC FCs w/the above setup, the plate is broken completely, leaving only the 4 screws and tiny bit of the plate. So, the CHAdeMO connector now is back in the holster and the Tesla plug is off to the side. If I'm in the area again (and it's still that way), I'll take a pic of it and post it.

Again, if a player like EA hadn't come along stacking the deck like this, don't you think there's a good possibility that the ratio of vehicles coming out in the US CHAdeMO instead of CCS might be different?
The way EA decided to roll out their network, emphasizing CCS, did not have any impact on vehicle production planning. CCS was always going to be the port of choice for any new non-Tesla and non-Nissan vehicle. The only vehicle that may have been affected by the EA decision is the Ariya.

IMHO, the only legitimate complaints about the CCS / CHAdeMO issue on the EA network is (1) their refusal to offer more than one CHAdeMO connector at sites with 6 or more chargers and (2) their lack of 200A CHAdeMO support when the chargers and cables that they have deployed clearly support it. Restricting the CHAdeMO cable to 125A is not reasonable after all this time. They said they were going to increase it after further testing and they have not done it.

The way EA decided to roll out their network, emphasizing CCS, did not have any impact on vehicle production planning. CCS was always going to be the port of choice for any new non-Tesla and non-Nissan vehicle. The only vehicle that may have been affected by the EA decision is the Ariya.

IMHO, the only legitimate complaints about the CCS / CHAdeMO issue on the EA network is (1) their refusal to offer more than one CHAdeMO connector at sites with 6 or more chargers and (2) their lack of 200A CHAdeMO support when the chargers and cables that they have deployed clearly support it. Restricting the CHAdeMO cable to 125A is not reasonable after all this time. They said they were going to increase it after further testing and they have not done it.
Makes a lot of sense to me to NOT install CHAdeMO connections. None of the VW group vehicles will use it. It adds to the cost (install/maintenance). It to some regard 'force' the standardization of plugs (reduces it by one). If I were VW and doing the punishment, I would make sure I would benefit from it, which would be minimal CHAdeMO/maximum CCS options...

Makes a lot of sense to me to NOT install CHAdeMO connections. None of the VW group vehicles will use it. It adds to the cost (install/maintenance). It to some regard 'force' the standardization of plugs (reduces it by one). If I were VW and doing the punishment, I would make sure I would benefit from it, which would be minimal CHAdeMO/maximum CCS options...
Maybe I'm missing something, but what good does it do for EA to install two CCS cables on the same dispenser? Only one can be used at a time. Wouldn't it have made better sense to have one CCS and one Chademo cable on every dispenser so they can service more cars? Energy/car throughput is key to lowering operating costs since the demand charges are relatively fixed at each site per month. More cars charged equals less demand charge (pro-rated) per car...

Maybe I'm missing something, but what good does it do for EA to install two CCS cables on the same dispenser? Only one can be used at a time. Wouldn't it have made better sense to have one CCS and one Chademo cable on every dispenser so they can service more cars?
No. The problem is that there is no standard for where to put the CCS port on vehicles. By having the two cables they make it easier for people to be able to plug in regardless of where their port is. Also, it provides some redundancy if one of the cables/connectors gets damaged. (A problem at some Superchargers occasionally where the connector gets damaged and then that stall is out of commission until the cable is replaced.)

No. The problem is that there is no standard for where to put the CCS port on vehicles. By having the two cables they make it easier for people to be able to plug in regardless of where their port is. Also, it provides some redundancy if one of the cables/connectors gets damaged. (A problem at some Superchargers occasionally where the connector gets damaged and then that stall is out of commission until the cable is replaced.)
Also, the cables at EA sites are typically liquid-cooled and are more difficult to twist and bend in order to reach those varied car charging ports. If only they could use Tesla’s rekayively thin and flexible liquid-cooled Supercharger V3 cables….

Maybe I'm missing something, but what good does it do for EA to install two CCS cables on the same dispenser? Only one can be used at a time. Wouldn't it have made better sense to have one CCS and one Chademo cable on every dispenser so they can service more cars? Energy/car throughput is key to lowering operating costs since the demand charges are relatively fixed at each site per month. More cars charged equals less demand charge (pro-rated) per car...
Can you plug in two cars and when one is done but hasn't moved yet ... then the other can start up via an app or automatically (not sure if implemented currently)?

Can you plug in two cars and when one is done but hasn't moved yet ... then the other can start up via an app or automatically (not sure if implemented currently)?
You can control the charging cap from your Tesla app right now, for example you can have two cars on the same 50A circuit at a home and just (carefully) switch them on and off sequentially so the breaker doesn't trip. But whether that works with a CCS charger (i.e. have two cars authenticated on two different cables, but idle until needed) is probably under the control of the specific vendor. The protocol doesn't disallow it, but I doubt it's a scenario they planned for.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
You can control the charging cap from your Tesla app right now, for example you can have two cars on the same 50A circuit at a home and just (carefully) switch them on and off sequentially so the breaker doesn't trip. But whether that works with a CCS charger (i.e. have two cars authenticated on two different cables, but idle until needed) is probably under the control of the specific vendor. The protocol doesn't disallow it, but I doubt it's a scenario they planned for.
It would be ridiculous and reckless for any charger manufacturer that makes a charger with more than one cable to ignore or not properly handle the case where both cables are plugged into a vehicle. It makes no difference whether the cables have the same connector or not.

Reactions: zecar

From the EA FAQ page:

“Q: If one connector on a charger is already plugged into a vehicle, can I use the other one?

A: Though there are two connectors at each Electrify America charger, only one can be used at a time. Having two connectors ensures that it’s easy for you to plug in—no matter where your car’s charging port is located. If either connector is in use, look for the next nearest charger. Most charging stations have at least four chargers to increase availability.”

It would be ridiculous and reckless for any charger manufacturer that makes a charger with more than one cable to ignore or not properly handle the case where both cables are plugged into a vehicle. It makes no difference whether the cables have the same connector or not.
Would it? What do other chargers do right now? You can't charge two vehicles at once, and there's no pre-existing protocol for how to arbitrate (thus this question). Wouldn't "properly handling" the case be to basically shut them both down and tell the user to get it straight and plug one in at a time?

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
How does Tesla deal with this on their dual cabled V2 Superchargers in Europe?

How does Tesla deal with this on their dual cabled V2 Superchargers in Europe?
The first one plugged in and charging is activated, the other is inactive. I've never heard of someone plugging in and waiting to see what happens when the first person finishes charging. (The way most of them are setup another car really can't plug in at the same time.)

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
Would it? What do other chargers do right now? You can't charge two vehicles at once, and there's no pre-existing protocol for how to arbitrate (thus this question). Wouldn't "properly handling" the case be to basically shut them both down and tell the user to get it straight and plug one in at a time?
Properly handling would depend on whether the charger has a screen or not. For any charger that has a screen, it should display a message that only one vehicle can charge at a time. The most elegant setup would be to allow the second vehicle to plug in and authenticate by app or RFID and wait in an inactive state until the first vehicle is finished charging so that it can automatically begin without further user interaction.

I suppose you can do this, but if one cable is in use, the other shows as "busy" on the EA app and a charge session cannot be started. FWIW, I've never seen more than one or two cars at an EA site, but I guess that will change as more id.4 and Mach-e's are sold.

Got my CCS adapter yesterday and looked at making sure the firmware was up to date. Have never seen a more complex process for updating a device. When you plug the device into your computer it isn't recognized and the processes to update are blocked by your web browser as being risky behavior. Decided to hold off on going further. Has anyone had their virus software pick up anything as a result of the processes of updating the CCS adapter? Heading to Ohio today and looks like the Mt Gilead Supercharger is completely down based on the last two comments on Plugshare. There is a EA station 10 minutes from my hotel and would be nice to get juice there instead of going 50 miles to the Polaris SC.

Got my CCS adapter yesterday and looked at making sure the firmware was up to date. Have never seen a more complex process for updating a device. When you plug the device into your computer it isn't recognized and the processes to update are blocked by your web browser as being risky behavior. Decided to hold off on going further. Has anyone had their virus software pick up anything as a result of the processes of updating the CCS adapter? Heading to Ohio today and looks like the Mt Gilead Supercharger is completely down based on the last two comments on Plugshare. There is a EA station 10 minutes from my hotel and would be nice to get juice there instead of going 50 miles to the Polaris SCan’t remember if I got that warning or not. That said something says I got it once. As for complexity, no worse than any other firmware based device I’ve dealt with (in some ways easier because firmware and installer are one step, as having an install program and a firmware file).
The only downside is you can’t plug in and check the version installed. (You may well have the latest).
As for the SC down, this is the second reason I bought it. Since there is a fair amount of overlap now between EA and SCs, I figure if the SC is down I can still get a charge.
Let us know how you make out

I have been a supporter of Tesla coming out with its own CCS adapter for North America. However, with all of the variability in the CCS infrastructure - as discussed in this thread - I am starting to understand why Tesla is not eager to take up that challenge.
I still feel good about going the Chademo adapter route. My use is occasional and only needing a partial charge. I don't want to have to keep current on Setec firmware and whatnot.

What I can say about Chademo is that if the station successfully charged a Leaf yesterday there is a very good chance it will charge a Tesla today.