Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up cruise control at current speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fewer stalks and no gauge cluster are two of the ways they cut cost on the 3. The X has a stalk for AP and cruise and, yes, you can set cruise to current speed. It also has controls for the windshield wiper on the stalk for the turn signals.

Imho the cruise control in the 3 is much superior to the stalk cruise control. BMW did the same thing where the cruise control was initially on the stalk, then moved to the steering wheel (which is fantastic) and then back to the stalk (which sucks).

All we want is that if you activate cruise control, that it uses the current speed rather than the speed limit. if you want the car to speed up/slow down you can simply adjust it afterwards.

All we want is that if you activate cruise control, that it uses the current speed rather than the speed limit.
Agree - and this is not a big ask so really hope it gets implemented as an option.
The current set up would be preferable (to me) IF the car could read speed signs. But since Tesla broke with MobileEye (who has patents on it) tesla disabled the function. The old AP1 cars do actually read speed signs. I am still at loss around how Elon assumes robo taxis that rely on map data for speed limits but thats is just me being pissed about not knowing this function was missing when i bought the car.

Agree - and this is not a big ask so really hope it gets implemented as an option.
The current set up would be preferable (to me) IF the car could read speed signs. But since Tesla broke with MobileEye (who has patents on it) tesla disabled the function. The old AP1 cars do actually read speed signs. I am still at loss around how Elon assumes robo taxis that rely on map data for speed limits but thats is just me being pissed about not knowing this function was missing when i bought the car.
yeah took me ages to figure this out! I thought the autopilot was broken because it wouldnt read speed limit signs but then it turned out it just uses GPS and noone botherd to map all the shitty sideroads in the outback.

Extremely annoying "feature" and MORE dangerous too ... we have to engage and then constantly watching on the screen to set our desired speed. When a dumb electronics (feature) is trying to be smarter than a human it is always extremely annoying (like the Apple approach, sad)

I've got AP but no EAP and obviously no FSD either.
Everytime I change lanes to overtake, the AP cancels. Okey, no real problem there, but it's very annoying when I reactivate it, it jumps to the max. speed limit set in the car. Very often this not even the right speed limit.
I used Waze before and that works like a charm. It would be nice if we could implement the app in the car for the time being :)

For now I'll stick with the stated solution from post N°4 in this thread. We're October '20 now...